It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What did our Founding Fathers have in their BOB’s?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I have been considering this for quite a while, and lately, I've started to rethink my plans.
I need to emphasize that this is my current line of thought, and I believe each person needs to do what's best for them.

Upwards of 60 million Americans own a gun, and roughly 50% of American households have at least one gun within.

Yet, at the first sign of trouble, we are prepared to run away, leave everything behind, except that which we can stuff in our BOB's/BOV's?

Day after day, I read the threads on here, and inevitably, someone posts how prepared they are. It goes something like this:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have my 3 Ar-15's, w/ 30,000 rounds, and twenty 30rd mags.
I have 2 Ak-47's w/ 20,000 rds, to back up the Ar-15's.
I have 2 1911's (.45) and 2 Glocks (9mm) w/ over 40,000 for my pistols.
I have a Mossberg 550, and over a million 000# buck shells for it.
Add to that, my Molle systems, tactical vests, and level III armor.

When “they” come down my street, I’ll grab my BOB, throw it into my BOV, then head for the hills, where I have enough food and water, etc. buried in 55 gal drums , to last for 10 years.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Really? Is this what we’ve become?

I, for one, have too many memories, too much blood, sweat and tears, invested in mine and my family’s home, to just bug out at the first sign of trouble.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Oaktree

You know, that's a fantastic point. One of which I've attempted to address on numerous occasions. It's not enough to be running away from somewhere, we need to be running too somewhere.

The only reason I say run, is that by yourself you have NO chance. You MUST get with other people. Militias, well armed neighborhoods, whatever, but you have to get with like minded people, and begin a resistance. Otherwise, you are running for your whole life.

BOBs are great, but they are a means to an end, not the end.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   
You know I think if they got pulled over by the cops with that amount of weapons and ammo in there vehicle.
They might just be arrested.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Probably not much.
I think that most of us that hopped off the boat here, were lucky enough to even have a bag at all. Back then, things were much simpler... a skill and the tools to do it was all that was needed.

Once thing I am certain of is this:
We all had an idea, for the betterment of ourselves.

Where are we now?

T-

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by telemetry

I'm not a coward, I've just never been tested...I like to think that if I was I would pass.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oaktree
I have been considering this for quite a while, and lately, I've started to rethink my plans.
I need to emphasize that this is my current line of thought, and I believe each person needs to do what's best for them.

Upwards of 60 million Americans own a gun, and roughly 50% of American households have at least one gun within.

Yet, at the first sign of trouble, we are prepared to run away, leave everything behind, except that which we can stuff in our BOB's/BOV's?

Day after day, I read the threads on here, and inevitably, someone posts how prepared they are. It goes something like this:
I have my 3 Ar-15's, w/ 30,000 rounds, and twenty 30rd mags.
I have 2 Ak-47's w/ 20,000 rds, to back up the Ar-15's.
I have 2 1911's (.45) and 2 Glocks (9mm) w/ over 40,000 for my pistols.
I have a Mossberg 550, and over a million 000# buck shells for it.
Add to that, my Molle systems, tactical vests, and level III armor.

When “they” come down my street, I’ll grab my BOB, throw it into my BOV, then head for the hills, where I have enough food and water, etc. buried in 55 gal drums , to last for 10 years.
Really? Is this what we’ve become?

I, for one, have too many memories, too much blood, sweat and tears, invested in mine and my family’s home, to just bug out at the first sign of trouble.

Fabulous post sir and very well constructed, you raise some points that also trouble me and have done for some time.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
The issue is, as I see it, when presented with the question few have either "the" or "an" answer.

There is something inherently wrong with how society functions; how governments are formed and run; how business relates to those it needs to continue.

The problem is endemic, and permeates throughout everyone. We are all the problem, however I suspect we are not all the solution.

Yes, stand up and be counted, stand for what you believe in. Problem is you will stand up like the solitary nail and you will be knocked down.

What's the solution? I don't know. Don't come to me for answers (even if I had them I wouldn't voice them here as that would contravene T&C).

There is no voice, no solution. The last thing I want to do is run off and join some happy-clappy-cool-aid-hippy-commune. Given that option I think I'd take my chances in the concentration camp.

What did your Founding Fathers have in their BOBs?

I'm not certain, but I know what they had in their trousers...

[edit on 26-2-2009 by Nirgal]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oaktree

There was a line in the movie "Heat" that went something like, never attach yourself to something you cant walk away from in 30 seconds if the heats around the corner." or something like that.

If and when it comes time to leave, all I have done in this part of my life was simply a building block for the next phase. Yes, Ill miss the things I have done, the people I have known, but they will still be part of my life no matter where I am or what I am doing.

You mention all of the firearms this nation owns, what are you suggesting? Armed rebellion? Not an issue I want to bring up on a website, and I think its against the T&C.

As far as our founders, then ran as well. They left the brits and came here, when the laws got so out of hand, the masses swelled. Do you really see something like that happening in our watered down, lazy society? Hardly.

I have no shame in the fact when TSHTF I will leave whats left of society behind. I know who I am, what I can do, and how to thrive without this mess. When the chaos ensues and the sheep do whatever it is they do, I have no qualm about sitting back in the woods growing my food and brewing my beer. To those who stay, I wish you luck and longevity.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Nirgal

I'm not certain, but I know what they had in their trousers...

Yes, they must have big brass ones!

That's exactly what I was alluding to. They had over two thirds of the continent to bug out to, but they didn't. It was more about principal, IMHO.

top topics

join