It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Far Will Stocks Fall If This Is Another Great Depression?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Best Chart Ever. Comparing now to the Great Depression, the oil scare and the tech bust.

Man, are we in trouble...

Link

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthWithin

Oh it'll get pretty far. I believe DOW needs to be at 1556 to be totally on par with the 1929 crash.

With things the way they are today you'll start to see major panicking when the DOW goes to 6000 or 5000.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Yes, good question. I was trying to get people at work to take bets on this, but no one wanted to play. I was just trying to have a little fun before we start licking our lips at the sight of pigeons roosting on the window sills.

What I am wondering is if there is a psychological low, that once reached, will start an all out panic.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
You may not have noticed it because (like so much else that is important these days) it was done very quietly, but recently (I think earlier this week or sometime last week) they changed the makeup of the Dow index, dropping several financial companies that had fallen to deep lows.

The Dow is an index of 25 different large companies, I believe, and it has changed over time...almost none of the original companies on the index almost a century ago are on it now (most don't even exist anymore, like Standard Oil). There is certainly nothing wrong with making changes to the index per se. Yet the recent change is deceptive because without it the Dow would be much lower, possibly in the low 6,000 range. I believe the change was made not to provide extra and more relevant information to the investing public (which is why it should be changed when it is) but rather to deceive and to project the image that things are better than they really are.

[edit on 25-2-2009 by silent thunder]

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   
another reason that the make up of the dow changes is because some companies are still open for business but their stocks are trading below the dow limit (called the junk stock limit) for atleast 30 days. i think the limit is $1-2.

as for the imaginary limit that will scare the average person S***less, IMO it will be if the Dow falls below 6,000. at 6,000 you'll see more and more the average person will take notice and start getting vocal about it. especially if the dow stays below 6,000 for 2-4 days.

[edit on 2/25/2009 by Mercenary2007]

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Also, apparently over 100 of the S&P 500 stocks are now trading under $2 - which is perilously close to the $1 delisting level.

[edit on 25-2-2009 by leo123]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
i think the stock market will fall until the bond market shows signs of stress. I think the low will be near 5500

remember money often flows from one area to the other.........when the gov't is finally sadled with all the junk from the banks (6 months?) and other country's are selling off their reserves to keep their currency's from sinking too fast.....than some of the money in gov. bonds may go into the stock market giving it a kick.......but earning will be down for a while.......

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lookingup
before we start licking our lips at the sight of pigeons roosting on the window sills.

That comment got you a star my friend!
(Still chuckling)

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Before a full recovery, it will dip down to 3800.

Schiff, Celente and a few others predicted.

That was a few weeks ago before they spent a few trillion more.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by j2000

That's what I've heard too.
I'm sarting to think that the closer it gets to 4k, the more drastic actions we will all see, including a "lockdown", to allow cooler heads to prevail, so to speak.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by leo123

They lifted the delisting clause the other day so we may see major
indexes trading the big names as penny stocks.

Its bad now, but wait til the derivatives mess lets lose.

It will make all that has come so far look like a joke.

Good Luck to you all !
Ex_MislTech

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
How far will stocks go? I'm sure a lot further down the scale. What you need now is cash. If you have any type of cash or can get cash invest in a whole bunch of low stocks now, and invest more when it dips further.
Most of these stocks are artificially down. If you invested now you have the potential to multiply your investment many times. Before they start shooting up again.

And a pointer with people in their 401k, when economy times are good, reserve half of your monthly installments to the cash option in your investment account. Then when the economy sucks and all prices are drastically low, transfer all that cash into the funds that are dipped really low in price. When the fund prices start shooting up again, you will thank yourself. A lot.

new topics

top topics

join