It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Washing machine conspiracy.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Every washing machine I have ever used has a sign on the lid that says something like "Do not put oil or gasoline soaked clothes in here. Doing so can result in explosion or death."

I never understood this. Short of a shirt soaked with phosphorous (and why someone would have one of those is a very separate question) how does a shirt soaked with gasoline pose a fire risk from inside a tank of water?

Mythbusters? Hello, is this even possible?

Any thoughts ATS?

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

Just at a guess, since neither of those are water-soluble, they could theoretically rise to the surface, and... erm... become flammable. Especially if detergent's involved, too.

But to be honest, I can't says it seems likely. Unless you're washing hand grenades in the same load. (Which is a bad idea--those should be in with the delicates.)

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Probably just a warning for people who use dryers - that's where the fire could start.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
My own opinion...

We all know that liquid gasoline/petrochemicals are less likely to explode than the vapours they produce.

The electric motors that drive them DO produce sparks enough that (in a typically small enclosed washroom) the vapours COULD ignite...possibly.

Typical CYA stuff.

By the way, we saw you take the tag off of your bed...the bed cops are headed your way

MMMMwWWWWwwaaaahhhh hahahahha!

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by anonymouse876
Probably just a warning for people who use dryers - that's where the fire could start.

Then wy not put that in washing machine, instead of the dryer?

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by felonius

By the way, we saw you take the tag off of your bed...the bed cops are headed your way

MMMMwWWWWwwaaaahhhh hahahahha!

Okay, that's who's been following me.

Clever of them, to disguise themselves in a furniture delivery truck.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I saw the title and hoped that someone had found out where my orphan socks have been getting off to all these years. Everytime i do laundry i end up with more mateless socks.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by g raj
I saw the title and hoped that someone had found out where my orphan socks have been getting off to all these years. Everytime i do laundry i end up with more mateless socks.

See, I have a theory that the aliens somehow captured a clothes dryer and back engineered it to make multidimensional craft.

And that is why the government coverup, they do not want us to, literally in this case, discover their dirty laundry.

[edit on 25-2-2009 by asmeone2]

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Heres my thought. That would not be there unless someone actually tried it

On the toher hand due to our letigious society you can imagine all the hoops and boiler plates the corp. lawyers must insist on.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by g raj

South Park explained that: It is the underpants gnomes that take those!!!

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Every warning sticker you see on any appliance, ladder or piece of machinery has been put there because there has been a lawsuit for whatever the warning is for.- no matter how ridiculous.

Go look at a ladder. One more court case and there won't be any room for another warning sticker.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Okay, so I had to go look. My GE has this warning, but can't say that I've ever noticed it before. Now I'm all curious.

I agree with wrathchild that every warning on everything is because some idiot actually did it and then sued, but still... I want to know what will happen. Any volunteers?

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Wow, and this one actually says do not put a person in the m achine!

farm1.static.flickr.com...

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   
We used to have an old washer here. If we still had I'd be tempted to put it out in the field, hook up a looooooooooonnnng extension chord and give it a try.

But - alas the older washer is no longer here and I doubt Mrs. Frogs will let me try it with her new one.

So - I went googling and found it has indeed happened before!

Man Puts Gas in Washer - Lands in Hosptial

The 49-year-old man had what appeared to be second-degree burns on up to 5 percent of his lower legs, Hogan said. Paramedics took him to Regions Hospital.

Described by neighbors as a "backyard mechanic," the man was using gasoline to wash his grease-soaked clothes for some reason and "didn't think anything of it," Hogan said. The hot water heater or another source ignited a fire that led to the explosion, he said.

Evidently the vapors rise and a spark (such as from a hot water heater or maybe even the motor of the washer) can set them off.

Myth plausible?

[edit on 25-2-2009 by Frogs]

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

Darwin Award honorable mention right there.

Methinks some Schlitz was involved with that!

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

Darn, you beat me to it.

Yes, gasoline is not water soluble. It will naturally flow to the top, or in the case of radial inertia, wherever the lowest pressure is.

Given that minor arcing is a common occurrence in many higher voltage AC appliances, it's pretty expected in a washing machine (water + electrolytes) that arcing will occur from time to time.

Energy flows on the "skin" of the a conductive body, in this case, it's water, with a "skin" of gasoline.

Spark + Gasoline = Combustion. Pretty rudimentary really.

Oil based fires aren't easily extinguished by water, they're usually just spread by it. Burning gasoline being sloshed around forcefully isn't particularly my idea of a safe environment.

I don't know about the rest of you, but giant spinning Molotov cocktails aren't my cup of tea.

[edit on 25-2-2009 by johnsky]

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Hi, clean ATSs !

Now, if ever some one **puts oil or gasoline soaked clothes in there**,
they better make SURE they are VERY well cleaned, before ironing
them on the person(s) ! ! B-))))

Blue skies.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Here is another idea. If you have gas on the clothes and soap is added you get some funky aromas. You could end up making napalm in your washer. Joy dish soap, bleach, and some gasoline was my choice as a kid.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by staple
Here is another idea. If you have gas on the clothes and soap is added you get some funky aromas. You could end up making napalm in your washer. Joy dish soap, bleach, and some gasoline was my choice as a kid.

Are you the dufus in that article, then?

[edit on 25-2-2009 by asmeone2]

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

Water is drained out during the spin cycle yet it is still extremely hot in the washing machine. It is possible under those circumstances for the gas to flash ignite.

new topics

top topics

join