It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

THE biggest and most mind-bending coincidence on Earth!

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Another coincidence: My uncle was born a man. If he wasn't, he would be my aunt!

(I think I might get scolded for this one)

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by weedwhacker

Another coincidence: My uncle was born a man. If he wasn't, he would be my aunt!

(I think I might get scolded for this one)

I can do one better. My son was 44 inches tall this year that Obama became Mr. 44.

But to stay on topic, yes, I know, weedwacker, my point was that "3.8cm a year" is an inaccurate number because each year the earth's pull would effect it less and less making the distance it moves away from the earth, per year, increase each year. How can "3.8cm" stay the same when the earth is no longer close enough to effect it's movement? Would it not move much further, faster, then? That was my point.

[edit on 28-2-2009 by mmariebored]

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by mmariebored

mmarie.....oh, I get it.

Actually, I do not know the answer. Perhaps the rate of the spiralling out may be increasing....but, I would guess it's very, very incremental.

A 'Science Channel' program mentioned that, as formed roughly 4 billion years ago, the Moon was at about 14,000 miles in orbit. Compare to now, about 250,000 miles.....so, even in your lifetime.....400 centimeters farther away? Not a big deal....

Thanks.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
What if the moon is accelerating away at faster and faster speeds? I think as it moves away from the earth there is less pull. At what point does it simply release from orbit?

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

The Moon is moving away because it is "robbing" rotational energy from the Earth and changing it to orbital energy. The Earth's rotation is slowing and the Moon's orbit is getting wider. At some point in the future (2 billion years or so) an equilibrium will be reached where a day on Earth will last as long as it takes the moon to circle it. The Moon will no longer move away but just as we now only see one side of the Moon, the Moon will only see one side of Earth. Half of the Earth will always see the moon and the other half will never see it.

Weird.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

If the O.P. is correct, you must admit that this information is novel.

It probably means jack sh*t but is novel nonetheless.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Did you know that the Moon doesn'tr really orbit Earth in a circular manner, but rather along a spiral? Check out the link below to see an animation of it. You need flash installed to see it....

www.tortuga.com...

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Neo Christian Mystic

The Moon orbits the Earth in a circle (nearly, it is a bit elliptical).
The path traced by the Moon around the Sun is a helix (not a spiral).

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Yes, the trajectory of the Moon in realation to the earth is a helix, I said spiral, but anyway, a helix is a spiral. The Moon spirals along the face of the Earth along a helix spiral completing 13 full Moons or complete turns in a year.

[edit on 27/2/2010 by Neo Christian Mystic]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Chonx

The moon appears as different sizes depending on where it is in its orbit, as its orbit is not perfectly round.

The sizes of the moon and the sun are not exactly the same, but vary.

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by davesidious

To the naked eye, the moon is somewhere between 99 and 101 per cents compared in size. This is peculiar. Also to the naked eye, one hand's breadth equals 10 degrees or 1/36th of the horizon. Am ell equaling the length of the forearm stretched out is 60 degrees, or 1/6th of the horizon. The sun "moves" about 15 degrees each hours, being about half a degree wide, more or less exactly the same size as the Moon at it's distance, allthough they differ in physical size.

The sun is 400 times bigger than the moon, and is 400 times further away. So, the 2 just appear the same size from Earth.
URL

What is the chance of this?

[edit on 7/3/2010 by Neo Christian Mystic]

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   

The diameter of the Sun is very close to 400 times the that of the Moon.

The distance of the Earth from the Sun varies, depending on the time of year, from 152,097,701 km to 147,098,074km, with an average of 149,597,887.5 km.

In the past the Moon was closer to Earth than it is now and in the future it will be farther away but right now the distance of the Moon from Earth varies, depending on the time of the month, from 364,397 km to 406,731 km, with an average of 384,748 km.

So the ratio of the two orbits varies from 417 to 361, with an average of 388. So yes, sometimes the ratio is the same as the ratio in sizes but most of the time it is not. This can be seen in solar eclipses.

[edit on 3/7/2010 by Phage]

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
When my wife and I moved to our current address, we met our neighbours across the street and discovered their daughter was born on the same day, the same hour, the same birth room in the same hospital 3 yrs apart (after) our eldest.
They also both weighed 6lbs 2 ounces on the dot.
Thats a coincidence I guess.

[edit on 7-3-2010 by wayaboveitall]

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Coincidence? No way. This is just another amazing example of intelligent design.

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by shasta9600

You're kidding, right? This is the Science & Technology forum.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

In astronomy and physics approximate round measures normally work better than "exact" ones.388/400 of half a degree is almost identical to 400/400 of the same 30 arcminutes, the difference is -0.9 arc-minutes. It would seem like the width of a straw of hair, even smaller. To the naked eye you wouldn't notice much difference other than in the environmental-light property, getting darker when the Moon is bigger, and the other way when it is smaller. It's impossible without a Solar ecclipse to detect this small difference in apparent size with the naked eye.

Since the atmosphere works as a lense a rising Sun or full Moon will often appear bigger than normal. Another thing working here is when the Moon or the Sun is close to the horizon, which gives us a kind of referance to the known environment which trick our mind into believing it is bigger.

[edit on 8/3/2010 by Neo Christian Mystic]

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 06:18 AM
link   
During a solar eclipse the moons shadow doesn't cover the whole planet only a small area, even of the moon was double the size there would still be an eclipse.
It is an awesome site, would love to see one in person one day but the biggest mind-bending coincidence on Earth!- not for me

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by wycky
It is an awesome site, would love to see one in person one day but the biggest mind-bending coincidence on Earth!- not for me

Happens one or two every year....

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 06:46 AM
link   
When I read the opening post I thought of this video. I recommend the whole series if you like it.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   

They're about 400 times different in size, and about 400 times different in distance. Oooh spooky! It must mean something!

No. It's a coincidence.

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join