It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

THE biggest and most mind-bending coincidence on Earth!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Ok question does Moon spin or rotate on axis?

Test remove Earth from question, now just Moon, is Moon rotating on axis?

Would appear yes it does, but axis is not on Moon.

[edit on 27-2-2009 by googolplex]

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by bsbray11

The Orbit of the Moon

en.wikipedia.org...

Read, learn and inwardly digest

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by googolplex

google...yes, the Moon rotates about its axis.

Its period of rotation is about 28 days.

Let's say, you have a house on the Moon. You would see 14 days of daylight, and 14 days of night......because, as the Moon orbits the Earth.....the SUN is the major factor!!!

Certainly, there are aspects of 'Earthshine' in the mix....but, imagine, from a different perspective...just for oncde!

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
reply to post by bsbray11

The Orbit of the Moon

en.wikipedia.org...

Read, learn and inwardly digest
Yea I edited that page and changed it to what should be correct. They let anyone in there or any many.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Yes but what I said was axis is not on Moon, it's in the Earth if you add Earth back into equation.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by googolplex

YOU edited on Wiki???????!!!!

WOW!!! Can't wait to see the response....

YOU KNOW more than they do....cool!!!!

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Chonx

Coincidence, it more like physics and pure mathematics.
It has to do that, it's the Law.

It is cool thou

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
But in the case of annular eclipse in which the moon is farther away from earth because of its slightly elliptical orbit, the sun wont be fully covered!

An annular eclipse occurs when the Sun and Moon are exactly in line, but the apparent size of the Moon is smaller than that of the Sun. Hence the Sun appears as a very bright ring, or annulus, surrounding the outline of the Moon.

Edit: To add link

annular eclipse

[edit on February 27th, 2009 by peacejet]

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   

reply to post by Phage

It's NOT the gravity that's bending the light,

it's the bend in SPACE-TIME caused by ANY body of mass.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by die_another_day

WELL....Exactly!!!!

The fact that 'gravity' can affect light....this is CRUCIAL to understanding a lot of how the Universe works.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by die_another_day

I know. I know.

That's one reason why I put "bend" in quotation marks. If you want to get very particular about it, the light doesn't actually bend. Light follows in a straight path but the distortion of spacetime by mass makes it appear to us that it is following a curved path. The greater the mass the more distortion of spacetime. The Moon does not have enough mass to distort spacetime enough for a noticeable "bending" of light.

The bending of spacetime by mass also causes the effects of gravity.

[edit on 2/27/2009 by Phage]

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
The greatest coincidence ever is...

The big bang, formation of the solar system, life starting/arriving, evolution occurring, a massive extinction wiping out the dinosaurs, an ape picking up as stone and using it as a tool, someone discovering we could grow and cultivate crops, an apple falling on Newton's head, the discovery of electricity, someone inventing transistors, the creation of the internet, some bright spark having the idea to create ATS, and you having the idea to sign up at ATS, otherwise none of us would be here reading this now. What are the chances of that happening all over again?

Our lives are based on coincidence!

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Phage...you know as well as I do that there is something else going on!!!

Four forces.....yet 'gravity' is weaker than magnetism????

There's a bigger something.....we may be talking 'strings'....we may discussing 'membranes'....or just 'branes', in the future.

'strings' are one-dimensional....'branes' are what the 'strings' draw out....so that would be two dimensions. Imagine what a three-dimensional 'brane' might do.

Fodder for thought......

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Yeah well, four is enough for me. Supposedly when things are "hot" enough all four become the single force that existed at the beginnings of the big bang.

Another fun idea to kick around. The electromagnetic spectrum (UV, visible, IR, etc.). Why wouldn't there be a gravitic spectrum? Or a magnetic spectrum. I certainly don't have the math to know either way. But it's pretty far OT so never mind.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by C.H.U.D.

Sorry C.H.U.D. Good try, but wrong on many fronts.

This is a Prime example of how a little knowledge leads to bad conclusions.

An attempt at an analogy.....suppose you gave a group of Kindergartners a gun. Well, t make it more interesting, suppose you gave EVERY child, a gun...BUT, not all of them were loaded.....(of course, NONE are loaded....)

The kids don't know this, of course.....imagine how they will react, thinking they have a deadly weapon.

NOW, consider how to co-operate, in order to survive....

There WILL be persons who want to take, and there will be those who see the benefit of co-operating.

WHICH do YOU think will survive????

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Phage....I keep having probs with connectivity....and, NO, it's not some 'plan'....it is mechnanical.....

ANYway....you asked a question....

OH! You asked about the 'magnetic' spectrum....well, that is an interesting question.

I wish we, as a Species, understood magnetism better than we seem to currently understand it.....becuase, there seems to be some connection, to 'magnetism' and the possiblity of space travel....not sure how they connect......

[edit on 2/27/0909 by weedwhacker]

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Chonx

sorry if this is a repeat and if it's posted already, if not .. then goody.. because this documentary talks all about this.

I've posted part 3 sine it talks specifically about the size issue.

here's a link to part 1 if you want - www.youtube.com...

-
-

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Another fun idea to kick around. The electromagnetic spectrum (UV, visible, IR, etc.). Why wouldn't there be a gravitic spectrum? Or a magnetic spectrum. I certainly don't have the math to know either way. But it's pretty far OT so never mind.

This good one Phage, hard to sink teeth into, would it be inverse, and the propagation would have to be constant, would have energy without loss of said energy. Energy would be constant, if so it would some sort of inverse kinetic energy, so if this is stored energy and never decreases, but is only magnified. This is like a never ending energy, this energy could never be at rest not until all matter in universe had combined. At this point the nothing would have completly inclosed around singuliarity, gravity surrounded by nothing would not have any way to express the force of gravity.
So at this point even gravity will have been pulled in on to it self, gravity would cease to exist by simple fact of not having anything to exert force on, this would be sort of conundrum of sorts. So this is a real Cosmic Constant, Gravity where does endless enery come from. If this so I think you may have answered question of whether universe is open or closed, by your question.

[edit on 28-2-2009 by googolplex]

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
For the OP and thread, there are many more intriguing "coincidences" in the Earth-Moon_Sun system not mentioned which leads us unto the tantalizing speculation of the emergence of a master pattern...

In fact, many more curious "coincidences" arise with regard to other planets in our solar system. So many in fact, that it becomes painfully evident our knowledge is severely lacking a fundamental understanding of the architecture of the Universe.

And even more amazing is the ratios are immutable, I would go as far as to say they are absolute. For with the dissolution of all that is, there arises out of mere existence the very same ratios which reconstruct the entire master pattern.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Let's approach this question from a different perspective....

IF the Earth/Moon system had not formed some 4 billion years ago,
then likely WE wouldn't be here discussing this 'amazing co-incidence'...

See?

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join