It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

THE biggest and most mind-bending coincidence on Earth!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
The relationship between the sun and our moon is only one of a number of incredible coincidences that are covered in a really thought-provoking book called Who Built The Moon? In case you're wondering, the even numbers that show up time and again between the Sun, Earth and Moon, do NOT show up anywhere else in our solar system. There are a lot of puzzling things about our moon. Some of them are downright scary. When the spent SIV Saturn stage crashed into the moon on one of the apollo trips, the seismic data showed the moon to be ringing like a bell to coin the phrase NASA scientists used. The result was consistent with the idea that the moon is hollow. (Carl Sagan thought that conclusion was disturbing because hollow planetary bodies do not form naturally). That would also be consistent with the bizarre mass concentrations that caused gravity fluctuations depending on what part of the moon you happened to be flying over, which were discovered but not previously expected. The moon's origin is equally bizarre. Apparently there is no theory that explains the moon that is currently accepted without question. The theory of the moon forming as a result of a collision between the Earth and another planetary body is suspect because it would result in a moon that would be spinning must faster than it is. In order for the rotation to be slowed down, another collision at just the right angle and speed to counteract the first collision's spin would be required and the odds of that happening are so unlikely that no one seriously believes it to have happened. Because life as we know it would have been drastically different if the moon wasn't there, the authors of the book came to a very startling conclusion which is so bizarre that I won't describe it here but I have to admit, they made a very convincing case for their conclusions.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by prevenge

Nice post, that Barry Center is a new one for me, so I did some research. I didn't find a lot of information, but some. First, not everyone buys the Berry center idea, specifically, that the Earths rotation wobbles so greatly due to the influence of the Moon. What I read is that the Moon doesn't evolve around the center of the Earth, but around a circle about a thousand miles under the Earth's surface. I always thought that it was odd that the gravitational pull of the Sun and the moon would pull up the surface of the oceans to create the tides, it would make more sense if the influence of the Sun's and the Moon's effects on Earth's center of rotation would cause the tides due to a very slight wobble in the Earth rotation as it evolves around the sun, but who knows.

Another theory I have heard about the creation of the Moon, is that it is theorized that another planet, or planet sized asteroid, hit the Earth early in the creation of the Earth, and that the heavy iron cores of the two large bodies combined, kicking out the lighter materials that formed our moon. This is a recent theory that seems to put all the pieces of the puzzle together.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Its not coincidence, sizes and distances of planets and other heavenly bodies are explained and they are deliberate to nature's laws which can be accurately explained by SACRED GEOMETRY.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Not sure how global this is... but in the UK, as kids we used to stick our home address to balloons, then send them off and see how far it would get.

Some balloons were reported to reach France, and some even further. I remember a big map, where people would put pins where theirs reached.

Well, the thing is, my sister sent hers up... then two days later, we found it in our back garden. She lost the game, but my god, that was some coincidence.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Chonx

Coincidence?

Do you really believe in divine accidents?

I hate to use old material again, but…

You cannot tell me that THIS was ALL an accident.
It would be easier for me to believe that Leonardo da Vinci bumped his easel and palette, knocking them over on the ground, spilling paint across a canvas that just happened to create the Mona Lisa.
Come on. I don’t care how many millions of years a blank canvas lays around, it will never produce the Mona Lisa.

Oh, woops, I just spilled my coffee. Hmmm, would you look at that… it looks like the mess has some sort of order to it?

Wow, it actually looks like letters.

Let’s see here, what does it say?

“Your father was a monkey.”

I did enjoy the post though. Thank you for sharing some interesting details of our incredible solar system.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Quite a good thread this

Right I'll have a stab at answering the rotating moon thing....

The Moon does always face the Earth...I don't need science to tell me, I just look at the sky every night. "The Man on the Moon" is there every night I see it. I live in Scotland just now, so even though it's pissing down, I know he is there.... you know, the face? Doesn't move? Dead expression?

However, even though it may not rotate on it's axis in relation to our view here on Earth, it does indeed rotate when it's or iting the Earth. Surely people aren't still arrogant enough to think the Earth is the centre of the cosmos?

We can agree that to rotate is to turn? In this case it's to turn in a 360 degree circle which helpfully would involve "The Man on the Moon" viewing a panoramic 360 degree circle? OK, his view is constantly obscured by the Earth, but he would in fact rotate every time he completed an orbit. There is probably some scientist with name attached to that kind of orbit or view. If not then I claim it.

One thing though is that whoever said the Moon does rotate and that it doesn't are both wrong.............. or both right..........
.........That might be worth writing about on a philosophy thread

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I can round numbers too to make coincidences seem like more than they actually are.
We're lucky ducks- as far as we know (As, we've yet to find life out there.)

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
GUYS...

RETHINK IN TERMS OF HIGHER PHYSICS.

This is not a coincidence, the Sun is NOT PERFECTLY behind the moon so that we can see a ring of light. It's no where near the correct aspects.

The PATH OF LIGHT is always BENDED BY SPACE-TIME around bodies of mass. However, LIGHT IS STILL TRAVELING IN A STRAIGHT LINE ALTHOUGH THE PATH IS BENDED.

Technically, WE CAN SEE STARS BEHIND THE SUN DUE TO SPACE-TIME.

[edit on 2/26/2009 by die_another_day]

[edit on 2/26/2009 by die_another_day]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Perhaps Moon is not coincicence, maybe the Aliens put it there when were first engineering Earth.
That's also when the joker in group, thought would be good to put face on Moon.

[edit on 26-2-2009 by googolplex]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by googolplex

Originally posted by googolplex
Perhaps Moon is not coincicence, maybe the Aliens put it there when were first engineering Earth.
That's also when the joker in group, thought would be good to put face on Moon.

The joker of the group said nothing about aliens putting a moon anywhere
or
engineering the Earth......? I suppose you're a Sitchinite? pfffffft!

That was a fine example to describe the Moon and rotation - a good bit of input. Go try it out on a kids merry go round-a-bout thing...have some fun... then come back and thank me...

[edit on 26/2/2009 by itchy_tartan_blanket]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by itchy_tartan_blanket
reply to post by googolplex

The joker of the group said nothing about aliens putting a moon anywhere
or
engineering the Earth......? I suppose I'm a Sitchinite? pfffffft!

That was a fine example to describe the Moon and rotation - a good bit of input. Go try it out on a kids merry go round-a-bout thing...have some fun... then come back and thank me...

[edit on 26/2/2009 by itchy_tartan_blanket]

I was only speaking in possibilitys, that was one of them, and was quit serious about face on moon. At least it's smiling at me.
What about face on Mars, and if you don't know the Aliens are all over the place?
The hard one would be to put God into coincidence equation, then could throw coincidence out window if prove exisit.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chonx
The Moon is actually steadily moving away from Earth at about 3.8cm a year so 200 million years ago for example, the Moon would have been too close and too big, more than blocking out the Sun entirely. Conversely, in a few hundred million years the Moon will be too far away and too small to cover the whole Sun during an eclispe.

If the moon is moving away from the earth every year, the rate at which it moves away would increase more and more every year.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Studenofhistory

Oh, dear. Is it 'studen(t)of history'?

You said (mimicked, rather)....

When the spent SIV Saturn stage crashed into the moon on one of the apollo trips,

A short lesson on the Apollo V: A three-stage lift vehicle, all three stages, when spent, re-entered to crash into the sea.

The three stages were designated as S-IC, S-II and S-IVB. NONE of those stages ever left Earth orbit.

The LM waa contained just aft of the SM....During the journey the LM was released....and the CM/SM would maneouver to dock with the LM. The SM had the various life-support, among other things, needed...PLUS the engine to get the crew home.

The thing that was allowed to impact the Moon was the ascent stage of the LM.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by mmariebored

Yes....mmarie....

At a few millimeters every year.

So, even if it were ten centimeters per year, for the last, oh say 2000 years, it would still be a change of only 20,000 centimeters, or 20 KM.

AND, this is a gross exaggeration, to show that as a percentage of the distance, compared to the ability of mankind to actually sit and observe, it is miniscule. AND, at any given point on the Earth's surface, the chance of a 'total' solar eclipse being observable within one human's lifetime is equally miniscule.

EDIT for the math...originally, had an extra zero and wrote '200 KM'. Still, since I exagerrated the rate of the Moon's moving away, it is still a tiny difference, to a Human. For instance, 3 Billion years ago, the Moon was much closer....and, possibly, still rotating much faster than she is now. Both bodies, the Earth and the Moon, would, of course be dancing around a common 'center of mass', located somewhat deeper towards the core of the Earth than it is now. THIS effect, the close proximity would likely, over the span of time, result in a 'drag' effect on both bodies.

So, in fact, we owe the fact that the Earth was conducive to the evolution of life, and ultimately, US, to the Moon's influence. ALSO, she may have protected the Earth, early on, by taking a lot of the stray impacts from left overs of the early formation of the Solar System.....

[edit on 2/27/0909 by weedwhacker]

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
The moon rotates.

Around the Earth. I call that "orbiting," along with everybody else.

If it did not rotate there would not be a far side which is never visible.

The fact that you can never see the far side demonstrates the exact lack of rotation I and the OP are talking about.

You said this isn't physics then say I'm rejecting physical science. Seems to me you post just to see yourself on the internet.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by bsbray11

bsbray.....please, come on!!!

Think, please. Imagine, if you could, that you were looking down on the Earth, from directly above the North pole....and you were, say, 250,000 miles up....sitting there, stationary, in space.

In 24 hours' time, you would see the Earth complete ONE rotation, about its axis, no? (Bonus points if you know whether it's clockwise or counter-clockwise....)

IN those 24 hours, the Moon would move approximately 1/28th of its way along its orbit.

NOW....imagine, in the same place, but you stay there for 28 days. You would see the earth rotate 28 times.....and you would see the Moon complete ONE orbit about the Earth. The ENTIRE time, as the Moon orbits, it keeps one side pointing at the Earth the whole time....how???

BECAUSE it rotates!!!

The Moon's 'period' of rotation happens to co-incide with its 'period' of orbit.

Call it co-incidence, because it's happening NOW....and, BTW, has been happening for millions of years, and will continue to happen for many more milllions of years....call it what you want....but, it is simple celestial mechanics.

One LAST try.....IF you cannot think and visualize in three dimensions, when it comes to our Solar System.....then WORDS will not convince you.

It will, likely, require a movie.....in CGI.....which, conveniently, can be found on any number of Science TV channels, or DVDs.....just open and learn!!

EDIT....as to the BONUS question....no help from the audience, please!!!

second edit....well, he's offline....so I'll correct my typos....

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Chonx

finally someone posts about this!

how can people just not notice such a thing.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

The Earth spins about it poles. The Moon does not. The same face is always locked facing towards the Earth. It's that simple. I am not talking about any other form of movement than a spin about the poles (ie the poles are the CENTER of the rotation). The fact that the same face is always locked facing us is THE "coincidence" I am talking about. There is NO ROTATION relative to the Earth, because the Moon does not spin about its poles as it orbits the Earth. Yes, the position of its face changes relative to some stationary observer, but there are no stationary observers on Earth. Again, the SAME FACE is always facing us. THAT IS THE LACK OF SPIN that I am talking about.

This is the last time I'm going to explain this because it would have to be an idiot to actually understand what I am saying and still want to argue about the validity of it. I understand what you are saying in your post but you are totally confused as to what form of rotation I am talking about, because you apparently cannot comprehend the words in my posts.

[edit on 27-2-2009 by bsbray11]

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Im sure theres bigger things then that, actually I think this post is rather immature considering this is the 21st century and were still amazed by a lens flare from our sun and moon together...

Its just common sense that if you stick anything close to your eye its going to look bigger, take your finger for example, shove it right in your eye and tell me if it looks bigger then the sun... lol

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by bsbray11

The Moon does rotate to very small degree on it's axis ,but it has lost it 's energy, and only move back and forth on axis, becaus of this 50% of moons surface is visable.
It is has lost it's spin due to earth' gravity, at some point in time the Earth will also lose it's spin Earth and Moon will be locked facing each other till end, or some other occurance.

[edit on 27-2-2009 by googolplex]

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join