It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

THE biggest and most mind-bending coincidence on Earth!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Unless of course the moon was placed there artificially
Then it's not such a coincidence anymore is it

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   
It is also very strange that we have such a large moon in proportion to the size of our planet. Our moon is as large as Mercury, and Pluto, and any of the moons of Saturn or Jupiter or Neptune, or very close in size, if my memory serves me correctly. Hold on, I'll check my poster on the solar system. Jupiter and Saturn both have one moon slightly larger than our own. Considering the size of our planet, that seems pretty strange. We are essentially a double planet system. although our moon does not have atmosphere, while the large moons of Jupiter, Saturn, and Neptune. Well, my poster says Saturn's moon has an atmosphere, but I am not sure about the large moons of Jupiter and Neptune.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 04:41 AM
link   
It just occurred to me.

"THE biggest and most mind-bending coincidence on Earth!"

It's not exactly on earth is it? Unless astronomy has changed drastically.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b
It is also very strange that we have such a large moon in proportion to the size of our planet. Our moon is as large as Mercury, and Pluto, and any of the moons of Saturn or Jupiter or Neptune, or very close in size, if my memory serves me correctly. Hold on, I'll check my poster on the solar system. Jupiter and Saturn both have one moon slightly larger than our own. Considering the size of our planet, that seems pretty strange. We are essentially a double planet system. although our moon does not have atmosphere, while the large moons of Jupiter, Saturn, and Neptune. Well, my poster says Saturn's moon has an atmosphere, but I am not sure about the large moons of Jupiter and Neptune.

Ahhhh yes, but.....
John Lear is certain our moon was towed here.

If John said it, you can accept it as fact.
Or then again you could ask one of our moon miners.... if they ever return "home"

Just in jest

Mungo

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 04:57 AM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

Wow great story.

Now do you think it REALLY was a meteor? What if it was a UFO that passes that area at that time every few nights?

Probably a huge couincidence, but you never know

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by -NewSense-

Who would have placed the moon there artificially and how?

Not dismissing your suggestion, just wondering how you came to tit and if there is any evidence at all to support it.

I must admit there does appear to be some amazing coincedences surrounding the moon.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Welfhard

Hmmm, well...seeing as all humans are on Earth and a coincidence is a human concept.... it is! come on man, you're just being pedantic!

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

That is a good story, think I read it around here somewhere before. My thoughts on it where that it could be one of two things. Firstly, we may have been passing through a dust cloud/comet tail at the time in which case the chance of a meteor of similar composition to the first (the colour) would be increased as would the direction of entry due to the Earth travelling into the cloud. Still an impressive coincidence that you saw them though.

here's a list of known meteor showers so if you can match up the timing etc..

en.wikipedia.org...

My second thought was a bit more out there but I'm prone to the notion of the holographic universe and syncronicities have been harassing me for a long time now. If you're unfamiliar with the concept, it basically states that there may be some kind of correlation between the inner thought processes of humans and 'objective' reality.... Maybe, by thinking about the first one, you somehow made the second one happen! sounds crazy I know. just a thought.

[edit on 26-2-2009 by Chonx]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Im not sure, i think its more an optical illusion, in the same way the moon seems larger when low in the sky but if you put your thumb up to measure it then and then try later in the night when its higher and appears smaller but when you put your thumb up its still the same size. I think its something like this, i could be wrong probably am, but it makes sense to me, kind of.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

You're right! but what you are talking about is known as the Moon illusion and we covered that a little while ago in the thread.

Obviously, this IS an illusion in terms of the Moon and Sun not being the same size, It's only their relative sizes and distances combined which make them APPEAR to be the same size...

does it not strike you as a little strange that, if the Moon was a tiny bit bigger, or the Earth was a little further away from the Sun, or the Moon was a little closer to the Earth, then Eclipses would not be the perfect fit that they are?

The chances really are very, very small.

Actually, If there are any keen mathematicians o here on ATS who wouldn't mind having a crack at calculating the probability of this situation arising, that would be most interesting. Although I'm not sure how one would go about doing that...and it would not be comlpletely accurate due to all the unknowns but it would be fun!

Anyone up to the challenge???

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 08:11 AM
link   
hey Chonx..
cool thread. .i think about this often.

i think it's analogous to the monolith from 2001 space odyssey
the measurements of the monolith.. and their respective ratio to one another.. is what spurred "reasoning" ..

same could be said of primitive man looking to the sky.. and seeing these two objects.. differentiating them.. eventually dis-covering their true dimensions...

but then that very discovery folds back upon itself as another thought-inspiring quandary for man ... as to how "special" is this ratio between the only two significant bodies traversing through 50% of his field of vision daily nightly yearly..

another thig to consider is venus and mercury.
the man who is in charge of the naval observatory's dept. of astrological mechanics . a yale grad.. has a theory he's written about citing that mercury could very well have been a moon of venus.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2b8403ca2d76.jpg[/atsimg]

the sizes of mercury and our moon are very close
as is earth's size compared to venus.

venus is the only planet in the solar system to rotate retrograde to the other planets.

possibly a massive body that came through our system pulled venus into her current direction of rotation.. and separated mercury from venus's clutches.

a challenge:
find out the exact distance mercury would have to be from venus, while orbiting her, in order to appear the same size as the sun, when viewed from venus' surface.

part b to the question would be the same question.. but if venus was in the "Goldilocks band" like us.. in earth's orbit.. say.. if the random hypothetical event occurred as venus and earth switching places..

solve that someone! .. and i give you a prevenge pie... they're tasty.
(trust me.. they are.)

and i just have to write this because it's a cool sci-fi idea ....
what if "nibiru" comes through the solar system.. and pulls Ceres out of the asteroid belt (ceres is thought to have water or ice water in it)
then goes to pull earth into venus's orbit.. and venus into earths.. while both their rotations are switched.. and mercury is pulled into orbiting venus.. and our moon shoots out to fall into an orbit similar to mercury's previous one. and to top it all off ceres collides with venus showering her with water.

planetary billiards baby!

ah venus.. the "fertile virgin" fresh for the taking!.. don't forget the "venus project" of zeitgeist.. plan for future living..
and hey .. we'd all be lighter on venus.. by a tiny bit.

any civilization will eventually reach the point where moving planetary bodies, igniting gas giants into stars, and terraforming where they please.. will be second nature to them.
just a matter of time, (long time) development (lots) and luck (good luck not the bad stuff).

but yeah can some wiz figure out that equation and i'll make a 3D model of the specs and take some cool renders of it.

plus don't forget your prevenge pie.

-

[edit on 26-2-2009 by prevenge]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Numbers with space and time are very very interesting.

People should study numbers more and how to use numbers in calculating this existence by time and distance.

Numbers and calculations always seem to come to me, whenever something happens significant, especially through a specific time of learning something.

We were given numbers for a reason. Even the ancients used numbers to calculate many certaincies inrelation to the universe, and timing of seasons, equinnoxes etc.

Like for example Everytime I go to a particular train station its always 7 mins or 11mins to arrving. I note how certain numbers add up to other questions that are related.

For example 5
represents the human. I will go into further detail on another thread if anyone wishes. BUt each number has specific meaning and reasonance and all numbers correspond and give greater meaning to how the universe operates. When all numbers are used in mathematical equations.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I know it seems like a coincidence, but there's probably a scientific reason for it.

All the matter within our solar system originated from the remnants of a previous dying star. When that star went supernova, the explosion of material outwards created the solar system. Now at this time, the gravitational forces exerted between celestial bodies would have aligned them into the perfect orbits we see today.

I don't think its a coincidence; I think the configuration of the solar system is the only possible stable variation and has thus survived. If the moon were any further away, it would trail away from the earth. If the moon were any closer, it would pull into the earth. Same for the earth and sun.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by 44soulslayer
I know it seems like a coincidence, but there's probably a scientific reason for it.

All the matter within our solar system originated from the remnants of a previous dying star. When that star went supernova, the explosion of material outwards created the solar system. Now at this time, the gravitational forces exerted between celestial bodies would have aligned them into the perfect orbits we see today.

the sun hasn't gone supernova yet.

stars burn out and supernovae into white dwarfs or neutron stars.
though the sun is thought to have ignited by shockwaves from a nearby supernova.
the planets and moons .. consider a 2d representation of "eddys" on the edge of a stream.. falling into the most logical order through trial and error seemingly random though essentially predictive forces.

there's nothing to say that our solar system couldnt have been arranged" in a specific pattern according to a high level of design..by an ancient species..a design that is more hospitable to nurturing and protecting a developing intelligent race on earth..
most would toss that aside as lofty.. but in an infinite universe.. you never know who's out there.. preparing the way for more intelligent life to cultivate... just a thought. (a very big one)

I don't think its a coincidence; I think the configuration of the solar system is the only possible stable variation and has thus survived. If the moon were any further away, it would trail away from the earth. If the moon were any closer, it would pull into the earth. Same for the earth and sun.

true but theres more i think....
different arrangements for different reasons.

also note that the moon doesn't reallyorbit the "earth".
that is to say the earth and moon orbit each other around a virtual spot in space called the barycenter -
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6b7f33ae1a3c.gif[/atsimg]
our bary center lies about 1000 miles under the surface of the earth's crust.

findarticles.com...

If gravity were the only force to be reckoned with, then this spot would be the only place in the Earth-Moon system where the opposing forces cancel. But Earth and the Moon orbit a common center of gravity, which lives about a thousand miles beneath Earth's surface along the length of an imaginary line connecting the center of Earth to the center of the Moon.

also there are a set of "Lagrange" points which are areas where both body's gravity is canceled.
findarticles.com...

we've much to learn still...
and concluding into beliefs just to feel like we "know it" doesn't cut it when we KNOW how much we don't know.

-

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Zacharia Stichen would maintain that our Moon is actually "Kingu" the primary moon of Marduk (Nibiru, Planet X), the planet that collided with Tiamat (large water covered planet between Jupiter and Mars) on its way through our solar system. Tiamat split from the impact, half of it falling in toward the sun (dragging Kingu with it) to become Earth and the rest breaking apart to become the asteroid belt. The Annanuki (supposed space capable inhabitants of Marduk/Nibiru) were able to stabilize the orbits of the Earth and it's new satillite that we know as the Moon.

Presumably, on subsequent 3600 year passes of Nibiru, the Annunaki setup mining operations on a now cooled and developing Earth, even genetically modifying primates to make workers.

Not saying I believe all or any of that. But this is what the Sumarians supposedly believed about where our moon came from. Honestly, it sounds more plausable than many creation myths I've heard.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   
regrettably Stichen is wrong, but he it takes some to catch up to things....

i remember years ago, a japanese guy used to tell stories of the moon being towed in from another solar system, that it was "drilled" out on the inside and large ufo live there,. The greys come form there too. as he said its all part of the plan to hunt humans. But it can;t be true... it just can't.

great thread stars flags etc.. to you...

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
The fact the Moon almost exactly eclipses the Sun is not a coincidence but an inevitable fact. In the past it was closer to the Earth and thus appeared larger than the Sun (and I guess partial eclipses at the least would have been more common?) and in the future, as it slowly moves further away, it will appear smaller and total eclipses will be a thing of the past.

The only coincidence is that homo sapiens sapiens turns up on Earth at just the right moment in Earth history to see it.

But then, coincidences are surprisingly common.

And for all we know there are 10 billion identical Earths out there in the multiverse where the Moon is closer, further away or just a different size. Coincidently we live on the only Earth that's just right.

[edit on 26-2-2009 by Essan]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Let me first start off by saying, Thank you for a well written and thought out thread.

Second... You couldn't be more right mi compadre.
There are SOOO many things on this blue ball of ours that we should stop and be grateful for having the opportunity to witness such things. Every day of our life there is something we can stop and admire such beauty.

As for the 400x stuff.
It's meant to be.
Just gotta say thanks, smile, and enjoy it while you can.

Merci!

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   

I know someone would post something like this. Science has become as much of a crutch for weak minds as the church and "God" used to be, no offense.

We have absolutely no laws of physics at all that would have anything to do with why the Moon just happens to be where it is, such that it can perfectly cover the Sun from various perspectives on Earth so as to cause eclipses. It IS a "coincidence," and a very thought-provoking one, along with the mentioned fact that the Moon does not rotate. Someone else said that's because of tides. That's bull. The Moon causes the tide by its gravity and relative position to Earth, that's it. There is no relation to the fact that the Moon does not rotate. It doesn't rotate because it's rotational momentum is 0, because all the net forces related to that rotation are in equilibrium. I would say that's equally odd as the fact that the Moon covers the Sun perfectly in certain positions.

Just curious OP, have you ever read "A Little Book of Coincidence in the Solar System"?

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I've heard the theory many times from different sources that the moon is not actually a natural satellite and is infact artificial, 'towed' into place many millenia ago but individuals unknown. Maybe that is why there are such coincidences here. Personally, I entertain all possibilities on this. I've never been to the moon so for me, its is just as likely that it is artificial as it is natural. Any thoughts on this?

Th8nker

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join