It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McDonalds lifting prices in working-class areas

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by rufusthestuntbum

What the hell has your post got to do with the topic at hand? It seems to me judging by your post that you have a problem with immigrants. This thread is about McDonalds raising prices in poorer areas. If you want to voice your anger about British immigrant policy, then I suggest you find the appropriate thread.

Back to the topic at hand. Here in England, we seem to have the same prices all over the country. I've never seen any price difference between different areas or states as you call them in the USA. Prices pretty much seem to be universal here in England. I'm not sure about the rest of Britain but the only time I've ever seen a price increase is when I'm in the air ports.

Either way, I can see where people are coming from. Prices should be universal for every state. It's wrong that people on lower income get charged more, but this doesn't surprise me really. People on lower income generally get the short straw with many things in life, including utility bills and such.

Mod edit: Replaced quote with reply link because it was removed.

[edit on 2/25/2009 by Hal9000]

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by they see ALL

if you'd worked there, twice, for a total of 5 years whilst studying at college / uni and the whole time you were spoke to like you were thick as *SNIP* by not just the customers but the company, and fed the *SNIP* propaganda they try and spew into your ears (i remember the posters in the staffroom after supersize me - due to the controversy, you should only upsell people to a large not a supersize etc etc [do you want an extra 2" on your waist with that]) among all the other *SNIP* believe me you'd hate the *SNIP*

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 2/25/2009 by Hal9000]

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by paul76

there are 3 price bands in the UK
inner city areas have the highest prices

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by rufusthestuntbum
if you'd worked there, twice, for a total of 5 years whilst studying at college / uni and the whole time you were spoke to like you were thick as pigsh*t by not just the customers but the company, and fed the bullsh*t propaganda they try and spew into your ears (i remember the posters in the staffroom after supersize me - due to the controversy, you should only upsell people to a large not a supersize etc etc [do you want an extra 2" on your waist with that]) among all the other bullsh*t believe me you'd hate the b*stards

Did I ever say I loved them? Seems to me that you were just another person who hated their job, which, one can easily make the case (and probably win), is the norm nowadays.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by they see ALL

no, i REALLY hate them like nowhere else i have ever worked
if they ever went bankrupt, id actually throw a party

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   
McDonalds prices aren't very competitive anyway, well compared to my local chippy.

Yesterday I brought a big mac, cheeseburger + fries which cost over $7.
I could of got a quarter chicken, peas, enough chips to feed a family of 4 and gravy for just $6.00 at my local fish 'n chip shop.

Yeah I'm not surprised that the poor are being ripped off. There have been countless stories in the media about supermarkets in poor areas that overcharge and sell poor quality fruit & vegs. It's sad but true, everyone's out to get ya for whatever they can and it seems that the poorer folks are an easy target.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Visiting Atlanta the other week, the price of a regular cheesburger was $1.09 before tax, and a double-cheeseburger was $1.19, I remember you could get a double for 99cents. Also, everything for 99cents is a small now, not the medium anymore. Figures.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
You still buy that crap?

The higher prices are your punishment for conforming to the capitalist regime, being lazy and supporting the demise of good health in the less well off.

Don't do it!

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by VIKINGANT

Is it just me or is this just very wrong.
McDonalds is meant to be universally priced, but if anything it is the more affluent areas that would be able to afford it.

This is just another situation where the poor get ripped off. Just like banks charges overdraw fees when it is those that cannot afford it that go over thier limits.

This is just big business greed at its best, and totally uncalled for especially since thier profits are still going up. See here

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

Universally priced? since when I have been to McDonalds In Canada, UK, Sweden, China, Japan, Egypt, Mexico about 40 of the 50 United States and none are priced the same; not even anywhere close.

Poor people have been getting ripped off from the beginning of time; thats nothing new

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

I occasionally (typically 4 - 6 weeks) buy a burger from McD's or a whopper from Hungry Jacks etc. so these higher prices aren't a punishment from my pov. However I agree about the laziness component, yep I'm guilty on that but I don't make a habit of it.

Health wise, nope not a problem with me. I'm in the peak of health and intend to keep it that way. Which is why I don't over do it with fast food in general...

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 02:33 AM
link   
I used to eat there a lot. now, hardly ever. Is it just me or did their portion sizes shrink? I'd swear those big macs and fish sandwiches were way bigger ten or so years ago.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 03:58 AM
link   
They can set their prices to whatever they want, quite a few are run by franchises anyway.

If you have a problem with their food or prices don't eat there, problem solved.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by VIKINGANT

My coffee is kicking in now so here goes.

I wonder why you could think that raising the prices on happy meals could be wrong? Mcdonalds is a business and the only reason they are in business is to make a profit. They actually want to make as much of a profit as possible.

Mcdonalds is a publicly owned company on the stock market, and the every day people who invest in the stock mcdonalds want to see a return on their investment.

I say let the customers decide. As they always have. If they can afford the new price, let it be so. If they can not afford the new price, mcdonalds will be stuck with a bunch of happy meals not being sold. Thus everyday stock market investers will get on their case for a loss they do not want.

have a good one.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   
My opinion:

Mcdonalds is foul, unhealthy and greedy.

Why anyone would want to stuff a plastic burger into their mouth, whilst paying extortionate prices for over-salted chips and crap apple pies is beyond me.

Screw Mcdonalds, boycott them... They're a fascist, horrible corporation run by fat, greedy bastards who care not for their staff or consumers.

Go on Mcdonalds... sue me.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I'm sure they will raise wages

Mc' ds is rich and therefore creates jobs!

[edit on 26-2-2009 by mental modulator]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I happened to stop into a McD's on a recent roadtrip for coffee and fries and while I was in line I heard someone complain that they didn't have a dollar menu like some/one of the other chains. The fries sucked and the coffee was not memorable. I worked at the joint during high school and early college. In hindsight I can't believe I put up with 8 hours above the hot griddle for 18 to 26 bucks. I think I started at $2.35 an hour and made it up to $4.50 after a couple of years.

As far as the subject goes why not learn how to make a sandwich yourself? Making your own food is cheaper and way more delicious and healthy. people hooked on fast food may be the first ones to snap.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by VIKINGANT

I think they should.

Maybe then,people will stop using the old "I can't afford real food" excuse and get off their lard-laden butts to make something balanced,nutritional and that isn't chemical laden to keep it on the shelf for months.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Its a privately owned corporation!!

Stop bitching about their policies. If you disagree with their stances, then don't visit their restaurants.

Its not like McDs has some sort of social responsibility to keep their prices low. They are first and foremost a business, and will generate the maximum amount of profit that they can. They aren't some sort of soup kitchen for the poor.

They have no moral or legal obligation to feed anyone. Anyone care to disagree with that statement?

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I already noticed this about a month ago. I frequent 2 McDonalds's and both for awhile had the same dollar menu's. Then one day I went to the much more popular one by my house and saw that 4 piece nuggets, dbl cheeseberg, and small soft drinks had all went up to 1.29 from .99. I went to other McDonalds a few days later and there prices had not changed at all. I just don't go to the more expensive McDonald's anymore.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join