It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do we tell our kids?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I think I may have scared my kids real bad today. I've been talking about the economy recently and how bad it is getting, but then I said something that really hit home with them.

My one daughter brought some artwork home from school and she was really interested in it. I told her if her dad still had his job this summer, we could get her some supplies. She looked at me like I just dropped a bomb on her.

Then we got into this big discussion about the economy and what we could do to cut back. I think they got scared for the first time, and I'm not sure I want to dump ALL that on them. Yes, they should have an inkling of an idea, but should they carry that worry on their shoulders? No.

What have you told your kids? What will you tell your kids? I don't want my kids being afraid to ask for something they need. They are not kids who get money and blow it. They don't ask for much at all. I don't want them to feel guilty asking for something that is not within reason.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by virraszto

Well, my children are 2.5 years old and 3 weeks old, so I don't have to tell them anything.

Fortunately for my family we've been living well within our means and the economy isn't phasing us in the least.

Others aren't so fortunate though.

It's a sad situation.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   

This would be a great time to start teaching your children about the pro's and con's of money.
Teach them about saving a little of their allowance each time they get it and saving for things they want. Teach them the way banks work and how they make there money.

You don't have to go right in depth but by teaching them you will help them in later life.

I wished my parents would have been more switched on and taught me about money.
Instead I had to put myself in debt then sort myself out to work it all out for myself.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I wouldn't want my kittens find out what really goes on in this world while they are still a kitten.

That's why I have none.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I've been thinking about making a post on this topic for a while now. I've tried very hard NOT to talk too much about the way I feel about our economic problems. I think it's important that they feel secure but, at the same time, I want to prepare them for what may be coming into their lives soon. What I've done is just dropped a little information at a time in conversation but not focusing on it.

I'm interested to see what others are doing (or not) as well.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   

I think you're doing them a favor. Young people, such as myself, did not receive ANY wisdom from the previous generations and now we're all running around like chickens with our heads cut off. I feel bad for today's teens and preteens who will inherit a country utterly destitute. I know it doesn't feel good to have to tell them this. But your children are your allies, and if you level with them it will go a long way.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Kids or Teenagers ?

In my mind there is a big difference, Kids are Kids they need to be able to dream a bit, theres precious few years before they will have to worry.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
The thing about my kids is that they aren't interested in the latest fads, the designer clothes, purses, ipods, blackberries, etc. They don't throw money out the window on frivelous things. If I gave them $20 for doing some work for me, that $20 would still be sitting on their desk months from now. We as a family are frugal to begin with, so there's not a whole lot we could cut out, except maybe cable, and maybe wii games.

We are not hurting now, but there is a possibility that my husband could lose his job. Then we could live off our savings, but we really don't want to do that. That would be a last resort.

When I first mentioned it to them, the first thing out of their mouths were, "Will we have to move?" instead of omg...I need my stuff, I can't do without it! They also both volunteered to get jobs to help the family out, which I thought was very thoughtful.

I am curious as to what other people will tell their kids and I realize how much and how little depends on the age of the kids.

[edit on 25-2-2009 by virraszto]

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   

by the looks of your avatar, it looks like you have many cats.

i bet the amount of money you spend on catfood for all those cats in one week, could cover the price of art supplies for your kid.

I guess you just have to weigh out priorities.

that money saved from catfood would come in handy for other things for you .. like people food and gas money if in emergency.

also not to the OP but to anybody who smokes.. imagine how much money you'd have for your kids if you quit

-

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   
My 3 oldest are very aware as to what is going on with the economy and what could happen in the future. They are 15, 14 and 12. We also have a couple of older adult ones but they are on thier own and are preparing. My 7 year old recently started asking a lot of questions about why we have food in our basement and she has also over heard some of our talks.

I have tried the best I could to explain what is going on to her in the terms a 7 year old would understand. And we have let her know that we are preparing in case and I repeat in case to her that daddy lost his job or one of us was sick and we needed the money for medical care. We have given her quit a few scenarios and she seems fine with it.

One thing I have always promised was if my kids ask to be up front with them about anything. I was in the dark as a kid and even teenager as to how money worked how to save and also how to pay bills. It left me in one heck of a mess after moving out on my own but thankfully I was able to correct that and now we are teaching our kids so they will be better off when the time comes.

I do not ever tell them anything I read on here and I never use scare tactics on them. My 7 year old ask everyday now how the stocks did LOL yesterday I was able to tell her they gained. She looked at me and said "So mom do you think that will last or will they lose tomorrow" She was actually being funny about it. She knows things are not good but she also knows we are doing what we can to take care of her and her siblings. It hasnt affected her negatively as far as the mental aspect goes which I am thankful for but we are keeping her life normal for her and slowly preparing her just in case.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I can see your point if I were in dire straights and couldn't afford to feed my kids, but I'm not, and I don't ever expect to be in that bad of shape. My animals are part of the family. They cost me less that 20 dollars per month for their food. Twenty bucks is not going to break me.

We have saved up a significant savings and could live off that for quite awhile if needed, but we don't want to be in that position.

new topics

top topics

join