It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ice Age or global warming?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
It looks more like an Ice Age than global warming.

There is so much snow in Oslo that the city authorities are resorting to dumping truckloads of it in the sea because the usual storage sites on land are full.

In many places around the capital there’s about a metre of snow, but are these mountains of snow a sign that global warming isn’t happening?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/41612dd62166.jpg[/atsimg]

blogs.reuters.com...

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
hey its what ever the politicians tell you it is
....as long as they can pass their carbon credit tax or a variation of

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Thirty years ago, scientists were predicting another ice age. It was "all the rage." Novelists were making a pretty good living cranking out doomsday novels. Now, Al Gore is telling us that we are going to drown from the rising seas as the ice bergs melt. Somedays you just can't win.
(I'm with the Global cooling ranks myself.)

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Ever heard of "lake effect snow"? It occurs when cold air moves over a body of WARM water. It is a very common occurence here on the east side of Lake Michigan. Areas along the lakeshore receive much higher amounts of snowfall than inland areas while at the same time experiencing warmer temperatures.

Very cold air can hold little moisture. Warmer air=more moisture, and during the winter months whenever the temperature falls below freezing= more snow.

In other words, abnormal amounts of snow might indeed be a symptom of global warming.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Actually, the freezing winters could be a result of global warming. We are going to start getting frigid winters and blistering summers. Warm waters are flooding the oceans, causing the oceans convaer belts to slow down. They don't move as well with less salinity. They don't bring in the warm air from the south to the north in the winter time, and vice versa in the summer time. It will literally make the weather divide.

[edit on 25-2-2009 by nixie_nox]

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
The problem with the global warming thing is that the Earth obviously has a way of counteracting it. While the planet heats up in some areas, this causes other areas to produce more ice and snow. ie - The Antarctic, rising temperatures causing more precipitation.

Green energies are the new bubble that will get us out of this global recession & It will also ensure that we are less damaging to surroundings. The "Manmade Global Warming" scam (even though it really pisses me off) has made this possible.

"Global Warming" is quickly becoming a memory and is being replaced by 'Climate Change'.. which is natural. We still have to pay towards it though

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

There are 2 terms to describe this effect
Its called El nino and la nina

something that has ben known about for a long time, the terms where used extensively before Global warming became the catch phrase

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
What goes up must come down. We are spiking on temperatures and CO2. Science says that increasing CO2 means increasing temperatures UP TO A POINT and then time for rebalance and welcome back ice age.

[edit on 2/25/09 by stikkinikki]

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by munkey66

El Nino and La Nina are generated by the Pacific Ocean. I doubt they have anything to do with the weather in Oslo!

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Charis
reply to post by munkey66

El Nino and La Nina are generated by the Pacific Ocean. I doubt they have anything to do with the weather in Oslo!

Last time I looked we lived on a planet.

How far did the ash from Mount St. Helens travel?

The May 18, 1980 eruptive column at Mount St. Helens fluctuated in height through the day, but the eruption subsided by late afternoon. By early May 19, the eruption had stopped. By that time the ash cloud had spread to the central United States. Two days later, even though the ash cloud had become more diffuse, fine ash was detected by systems used to monitor air pollution in several cities of the northeastern United States. Some of the ash drifted around the globe within about 2 weeks. -- From: Tilling et.al., 1990, The Eruptions of Mount St. Helens: Past, Present, and Future: USGS General Interest Publication.

so ash from a volcano travelled around the planet in 2 weeks,
you will find that something that happens on one side of the planet effects the other side of the planet.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I recently heard a theory that an ice age occurs once every 26,000 years, and not the X amount of years previously thought. (guessed) It has been said that we are actually heading towards the end of the previous ice age (because the ice still exists) and into the beginning of the new. It is also thought that the new ice age will peak in approximately 2,500-3,000 years from now (after the age of Aquarius) and will stay at peak level for approximately a further 3,500-4,000 years.

But hey its just a theory

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
No need to be sarcastic. A lot of things can effect the climate on a planetary basis. El Nino occurs in the Pacific Ocean and directly effects tropical oceans, which in turn can effect trade winds, blah blah blah, and MAY effect weather much further north. But I think you are making a sweeping generalization, implying that El Nino/La Nina are responsible for ALL the various weather aberrations we've been noticing. You threw your theory out there with nothing to back it up.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 05:48 AM
link   
The first person to create a detailed theory about the 26,000 year cycle was Joseph Adhémar, who published a book on the subject in 1842

muller.lbl.gov...

[edit on 28-2-2009 by paulcottrell84]

top topics

join