It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biden Asks For Web Site's 'Number'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Biden Asks For Web Site's 'Number'

www.foxnews.com

"You know, I'm embarrassed. Do you know the Web site number?" he asked an aide standing out of view. "I should have it in front of me and I don't. I'm actually embarrassed."

Biden, who seemed to indicate that he thought the Internet worked like a giant telephone, sounded an unusually Luddite note inside an administration often heralded for its mastery of the Web.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 25-2-2009 by saint4God]

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   
The article hits ole Joe pretty hard with this flub, but at least it cuts down on the 'intellectually superior party' misconception as well as the endless ribbing of a certain presidential candidates unwillingness to use e-mail. Touche', nobody in Washington is clued in to the daily life of modern Americans.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

But this wasn't even Biden's first error involving the name of the Web site. During a nationally televised address to the U.S. Conference of Mayors on Feb. 20, he directed the assembled leaders to visit the stimulus site -- but sent them to the wrong one.

"We've already set up a Web site, Recovery.com, which will show where and how the money is being spent," he said, apparently unaware that the government has its own domain. Before a government tweak last Friday, Recovery.com directed Web users to a commercial research company.

Overall, I commend the attempt at penny-tracking and transparency. It's our money, we should have the right to know where it goes.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a lot of people say number instead of address, usually older people I find. Just today actually a guy on the phone wanted to give me his email 'number' - I didn't even bother correcting him (It wouldn't of been the best idea as the call was about a job!)

One that really gets my goat is when older people refer to celephane wrappers on things like ciggerette packets as PAPER! I don't know why but it does get me wound up a little, espicially when they say 'pick up that paper' and I'm like what paper, there is no paper! - and then to clarify they keep repeating the word paper and when I finially cotton on they are a moron it turns out I'm the moron for not reading their mind
(mini rant over)

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Although I think it's weird to call an internet address a number, I don't see it as any big deal, but whenever a politician gives any inkling of not knowing something or calling something by the wrong named they're immediately labeled "stupid". Mr. Biden is a smart man, I got to meet him in a talk he gave for my high school class, but he's no 'smarterer' or 'dumberer' than George Bush or anyone else in D.C.

Joe overcame great adversity with a speech impediment he used to have. It was so bad growing up that people nicknamed him "Dash" because it sounded like Morse Code when he talked. Through hard work and determination, he not only overcame that, but became a very well-spoken public speaker. That's what America is about: Hard work and Persistence. Too bad the media will never see that side of people...

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Here's the "web site number" for this thread:

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by clay2 baraka

Clever save, who knew Biden was using his infamous t3ch!3-sp34k using the actual numerical domain addy?

A bit misleading though, because it says the full address is this alpha-numeric combo after the http, colon and double slash: 75.126.76.151/forum/thread440460/pg1

The numbers by themselves brings up a blank page for me.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God

Originally posted by clay2 baraka

Clever save, who knew Biden was using his infamous t3ch!3-sp34k using the actual numerical domain addy?

this is funny but I can see how old(er) people, not that there's anything wrong with them, could be stuck in antiquated thought patterns and languages. It's kind of like "where's the clicker?" instead of where's the remote. Biden is teh l337!

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I was gonna say about the IP address...good one.

Hey at least he appears to use it and/or be aware of it, which is probably more than we can say for a lot of people in the last administration, including the president who didn't even read a newspaper, so I guess this is progress?

General observation, though...they're reaching and this is really trivial.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
It also shows there no 'moral high-ground' news agency out there. I like to flip between CNN and Fox News (among others) because it's like watching a live boxing match. Supposedly they're reporting about the same thing but they love beating each other up while they do it. Liberal spinners versus Conservative lapdogs...who is going to win? Likely neither, but it looks like us as to who is losing.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
You can't blame the guy for growing up in the 60's and 70's. Some people just don't see the need to adapt to technology. I work with several high up corporate executives, who are well over 50 or 60, and have a hard time typing on their keyboards and logging into their computers!!!

Biden certainly meant the IP address....

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
The funniest part for me was pre-Biden nomination, hearing my democrat friends saying "we don't need another old white guy in the whitehouse". The nomination had me rolling on the floor. Apparently it's okay as long as the "old white guy" is subservient to someone who isn't. How's that for change? 2008 = 2009 but getting worse.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God
It also shows there no 'moral high-ground' news agency out there. I like to flip between CNN and Fox News (among others) because it's like watching a live boxing match. Supposedly they're reporting about the same thing but they love beating each other up while they do it. Liberal spinners versus Conservative lapdogs...who is going to win? Likely neither, but it looks like us as to who is losing.

You are right, they LOVE to have both right wing conservatives and liberals debate both sides of an issue. But I find it funny to watch Foxnews, and their liberal commentator is only slightly to the left, while they have people like "Mad Dog" O'Reilly spoutin off at the mouth. And on CNN you get conservatives who are just a tad to the right, and you have Larry King...

It is entertaining to watch, but indeed we are the losers. Some people take the word of the MSM as gospel!!

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Thank you , saint, for this thread, and for all the younger people who are soooo forgiving to...ahem, us older people...or as my son tells me, "Honored Citizen".
Before long, we all get there. I remember a long time ago, when we bought my Mom a phone/answering machine. We explained to her how to use it. She told us later how she accidentally called 911, because she didn't know what buttons to press when she got her first phone call on it. She just started pressing buttons...more and more I find myself wanting to do just that...like on a new remote...I have to stop myself...

Well, we may be older, but we're wiser
Been there, done that. We've been to the mountain top, and we're having fun snowboarding, figuratively speaking, down the otherside.

Hey, we all knew what he meant, and, bottom line, that's what counts...thank you for understanding.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Our culture is a little backwards. One thing I held dear from my Native American heritage is that the braves learn from the sages. For some reason we have a 'surival of the fittest' mentality in this country instead of recognizing:

"What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun.

Is there anything of which one can say,
"Look! This is something new"?
It was here already, long ago;
it was here before our time." - Ecclesiastes 1:9-10

Listening to honored citizens makes a person wise, playing with children makes them young

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Some other interesting Biden quotes to show we're all on the 'level playing field', no intellectual superiority neither from him nor any political party:

"Look, John's last-minute economic plan does nothing to tackle the number-one job facing the middle class, and it happens to be, as Barack says, a three-letter word: jobs. J-O-B-S, jobs."

"A man I'm proud to call my friend. A man who will be the next President of the United States — Barack America!"

"There's only three things he mentions in a sentence -- a noun, a verb, and 9/11."

"You cannot go to a 7-11 or a Dunkin' Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent.... I'm not joking." --Joe Biden

"I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy. I mean, that's a storybook, man." --Joe Biden on Barack Obama

politicalhumor.about.com...

If you enjoyed these, check out Dan Quayle's gems too.

[edit on 26-2-2009 by saint4God]

new topics

top topics

join