It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senator Byrd: Obama in power grab

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
story link

Sen. Robert Byrd (D-W.Va.), the longest-serving Democratic senator, is criticizing President Obama’s appointment of White House “czars” to oversee federal policy, saying these executive positions amount to a power grab by the executive branch.

In a letter to Obama on Wednesday, Byrd complained about Obama’s decision to create White House offices on health reform, urban affairs policy, and energy and climate change. Byrd said such positions “can threaten the Constitutional system of checks and balances. At the worst, White House staff have taken direction and control of programmatic areas that are the statutory responsibility of Senate-confirmed officials.”

Byrd also wants Obama to limit claims of executive privilege while also ensuring that the White House czars don’t have authority over Cabinet officers confirmed by the Senate.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Ohhhh.... he's just saying this because he's a Klansman bigot.

Embrace your new lord Byrd. Embrace.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
'People get the history they deserve.' Charles de Gaulle
This 'new lord' is not recognized as our president by many, because of his refusal to prove it. That, alone, is evidence that this is a huge con. Most of his supporters do not realize he is a Communist, and do not realize he is likely an illegal alien. I think an appropriate response would be to deport him. Thus, no more cost to us. His ugly mug is widely recognized and he could not just lay low. He could never repay the trillions he has cost America, nor his destruction of the credibility in American government. I would like to see a Blue Dog Democrat put forth a Congressional Resolution demanding he produce a birth certificate. I wonder if the bureaurat in Hawaii who claims to have seen it, is 'Afro-American'. Or perhaps Kenyan? I certainly wouldn't put any trust in some unknown rat. But this is all working out just fine. 'the history they deserve.'

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Instead of turning this into a race issue and obfuscating the real foundation of the story, why not consider what Byrd is essentially saying here? For 8 years the Democratic party howled like scalded dogs over how Bush was destroying checks & balances, vilating the Constitution by building his administration into something untouchably powerfull, and effectively bypassing Congress on many issues of law. Now, for the most part, those same Democrats are saying nothing and smiling ear to ear while Obama's adminsitration continues along that exact same path! (Where's the change? Oh how many damn times have I asked that question in the last 6 weeks...) Byrd is demonstrating both a set of grapefruits and a refreshing lack of hypocrisy in openly decrying Obama for what they all decried Bush for doing.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I have disagreed with Senator Byrd on many things over the years, but this is a man who loves this country and the constitution.
He fears for the safety of this country and the foundation of it's laws.
I feel it is right that Obama is making a power grab, and it is a dangerous one.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by kettlebellysmith

You are right, everytime a another check and balance is gone, high treason is soon to follow. History is very clear on this.

Now Byrd, like all the others don't mind when the publics rights are stepped on, but still, what is being done is absolute corruption.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Those offices should be established by Congress, not the President.. what's he getting at?

And why the hell do we call these guys Czars?????????

1. an emperor or king.
2. (often initial capital letter) the former emperor of Russia.
3. an autocratic ruler or leader.
4. any person exercising great authority or power in a particular field: a czar of industry.

"Bow to me, I am the Emperor of Health Care Reform!! Muahahaha!"

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

It's just one thing after another. i just don't get it.

Is he wanting to be HITLER or something?

I guess I am dazed and confused at "Change".

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Senator Byrd stood up to Bush when he felt Bush was trying to usurp the constitution. He feels these "offices" are trampling on peoples rights, and he is standing up for those rights. He is doing something that is extremely rare. He is a Democratic Senator who is facing down a Democratic President. I tip my hat to him sir, and I am a Republican. (A true Republican, who believes in small government and state's soverenty).

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Should get 1000 copies of the Constitution.

A small wood chipper.

Go to the steps of the capitol building.

And start shooting the shreaded pieces of our

Constitution of the United States of America

up the steps to our wonderful Reps.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by kettlebellysmith

I agree. At least he is being consistent. And I see comments in the news coverage of this like "Byrd no longer holds the powerful Appropriations chairmanship, so his criticism does not carry as much weight these days." But that also means he is free to be honest about what he is seeing.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   
That was the one of the first things Rham Emmanuel and Obama did. They did not want someone who knows the ropes and is old enough and wise enough to outwit them in a position of power like that. But don't ever underestimate an old dog. Age and cunning will overcome youth and enthusiasm everytime.
It seems that Emmanuel is trying to set up his own little empire, with Obama as the nominal emperor.

new topics

top topics

join