It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The United States of Europe would benefit Westerners

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Given the current economic crisis, the United States of Europe / The EU / The European constitution would benefit Europeans.

Being in my early 20s and having lived in the UK all my life and having visited France often (thanks to the channel tunnel making it half an hour away yay!) and seeing the improvement literally year on year over there since 1999, I honestly believe that EU citizens would see a huge increase in quality of life if all the EU states were to become united as one country.

Lets face it the EU is essentially a form of the fedaral government as it stands at the minute, where each EU member state has slightly different laws but the EU has the final say on certain subjects. Theres is no doubt the UK is suffering for not taking up the euro back in jan of 2002, where France has a wage at 1.5x the UK earnings, and the Euro is now equal to the pound.

Needless to mention that by having a standard currency for the Eurozone gives every member country a higher PPP than a stand alone country in this age where countries witth higher populations such as India and China are gaining the economic advantage due to technology there catching up and the sheer weight of numbers.

Even Americans must admit that they would rather see the bulk of global power kept within the western hemisphere, and I personally believe that if every single state within the EU were to join the Euro (including the UK, although i think this will happen either way in the end, if you look at the new style £20 note there is no doubt they are conditioning us for the euro - it's almost exactly the same design) and then hand over power to a single European government, this is the last hope of the western world. Wouldn't ypu rather see the western hemisphere retain power.

Personally I'd like to see a union of both Europe and North America, lets face it we all have a similar quality of life and similar world views. The beauty of the western world is the freedom of speech we are allowed, so some of you will disagree. Thats just my opinion though.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I agree. Obviously many people would have a serious problem with this, especially with the loss of sovereignty of their countries but it is evolution of civilization. Also, if the EU was a superstate, it would be more secure and it would be able to concentrate more on important issues.

The only problem I have with it is a major one. The EU government is currently rotten and if the EU is to move forward, it will need to completely revamp its governmental system and promote the creation of at least another two parties for people to vote for in federal elections instead of each state voting in a number of parliamentary commissioners.

I don't trust the system that is in place at the moment. Other than that, the EU is a great idea.. as long as they curb expansion for the next decade until the current members can recover from the current crises.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
yes, i agree with you fully

the current EU is built on representatives from inidividual parties within each mamber state e.g. in the Uk we have labour, conservative and lib dem MEPS as you probably know, we need the creation of 3 or more EU wide parties, but the concept is definately the way forward.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Having lived in the EU hellhole for a year and a half, after living in Britain for 2, I disagree. The EU, and for that matter, any federalization, is a very bad thing.

I don't even like it in my own home country, and we've had to put up with it for a couple hundred years.

top topics

join