It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poor kids in N.M. schools forced to eat cold cheese sandwiches when parents can't pay

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
There are programs for free and reduced lunch and/or breakfast which you can apply for. Every year I have to fill it out for my daughter, although we don't qualify for it, the school gets subsidies from the state for the cafeteria. People with low income get either free lunch and/or breakfast or a reduced rate lunch.

I think the people who have kids who are getting served cheese sandwiches are the ones who just don't pay for their lunches. I write a check every week which goes into my daughter's account. Sometimes I forget, or they will be out of school for bad weather or something and I think she has more in there than she does. I get a nastyl note from the lunch ladies! LOL!

Anyone who has lost a job or income should know the free lunch program is available. All they have to to is go to the office and apply for it. I fault the parents in this case...either too proud to apply for it or just too damn lazy to send money to school for their kids and figure the school will continue feeding them regardless. I saw a program on this on the news or read it on line some time ago, I don't remember which, but some parents were almost $500 behind in paying for their kid's lunches. I don't know, but I think these are the people who just figure they won't pay just because they don't want to. The people who are really poor most likely already have WIC and foodstamps and are well aware of free/reduced meals at school. I know many of my daughter's friend's parents who are now qualified for reduced lunches due to loss of employment and reduction in income.

The county where I live also provides backpacks with food for the weekend for many children that they know only eat breakfast and lunch at school. Regardless, a cheese sandwich never hurt anyone. Sorry...I gotta say it...bad parents.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   
This could be the most insignificant thread on ATS.
At least threads on planet X are interesting
The lunch is fine.
Nothing to see here folks.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by spaznational

This argument is about school lunches but could be expanded to anything school-related, such as text books and busing. It raises the question of should there be any public school at all?

point is why doesent your tax money go to / show up in public schools ,

thats what you pay for ,
a trust in a service from your goverment,
if you dont get that service then why pay tax at all ,

and your right its not just about food its about the whole public school system and how its been run into the ground.

lowering standard tests , junk food i could go on but riddle me this what is the point in having a olympic sized swimming pool or highly paid teachers at your school if your children are not getting the education or the healthy food they deserve for free, and by free i mean paid by tax money ?

to me it seams you are rejecting your own at the very first level trust.

it dosent matter how much money you own in the end but when you get old the generations after you are the ones keeping the system alive and if you deprive them of their rights to a good upbringing then you deprive your self of a healthy end in life ,

edit:was trying to add an old news clip from 1889 that was showing how much of your tax money back then was distrubuted among schools in one state , couldent get it to work

[edit on 27-2-2009 by zerbot565]

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I posted before that they should just grill them if there is a problem, but I go to thinking about something.

How much food does this school throw away everyday? If there isn't any wasted food then I am all for the cheese sandwich. However if they are throwing away food then I have a problem with it.

Is this school throwing away food that was denied to a student who couldn't afford it?

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Odessy

So insignificant that you bothered posting in it twice?

Thanks for coming out.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
What in the world is wrong with a cheese sandwich fruit and milk? Absolutley nothing!

It is better than most of the food the schoool serves if you can afford to pay! My old highschool (I am NOT exagerating) Had Tacobell, Sonic, Chik-fillet, Mcdonalds and a donut shop all in the cafeteria (and to think people wonder where the obesity problem in our country comes from, that stuff is everywhere, even in our schools.

I was one of the few people who had parents who could not afford to buy me a lunch everday. The lunch that was provided to me was exactly the one provided to the children in this news article. A cheese sandwich, fruit and a carton of milk. Quite frankly, looking back, I am glad I ate that instead of the Tacobell and sonic that the other kids got.

It was much better for me in the long run!

There is NOTHING wrong with a cheese sandwich, fruit and milk when you are hungry! Anyone who has an issue with their child not getting tacobell just comes across as spoiled to me. I survived some rough times, and for the record no one EVER said anything negative to me about having to get a free lunch from the state.

[edit on 27-2-2009 by gimme_some_truth]

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

I agree! From what I've seen, bout half the kids look they they need
to just skip lunch and go run some laps! Geez, give up the cheese, please!

Why not just give 'em all sugar sandwiches and start saving the
leftover money for the heart treatments that will be needed later in life!

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Point is, poor kids aren't forced to eat the cheese sandwiches, it is the kids who have parents who DON'T PAY for their lunches. Life isn't a free ride. There is nothing wrong with that sort of lunch. Parents should either pay up or apply for the free/reduced meal program.

The parents get mad because their kid had to eat a cold lunch, but they can't admit they are at fault for not paying for their lunch. I mean really, do these people go to a restaurant and expect to eat a meal without having money to pay for it? The kids aren't being refused food, they are being given a healthy alternative. And I'm sure these parents know they owe money to the school to pay for lunches. Lunch is 1.75 (you can't pack a lunch for that) at my daughter's elementary school, if she goes into a negative balance they send a letter home. I'm sure if you are $20 or more behind, you are well aware of the fact that you aren't paying for your kids' lunch and that your kid is going to get a cheese sandwich. You don't pay your utility bills and guess what, they cut you off and you also have ample notice ahead of time.

Problem is society today...give me, give me, give me and when you don't, there is a problem. People need to grow up and be responsible for themselves and their children. If I were to go through life expecting someone else to take care of us, my kids will too.

[edit on 3/2/09 by opal13]

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 06:20 AM
link   
That is so true you are allowed to have a $20 credit. I cant figure this one out either. In fact if they put in for the application for the free or reduced food, then they will allow them to let the lunch ride, for that waiting period. My aunt did that once with her 3 kids. That way the state paid for there meals when she was approved. No out of pocket expense for her. I think these parents just have cash and dont want to pay. Its usually about 1 week before your approved or denied. So whats the deal?

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by opal13

That is so true! We need to realize its the PARENTS responsibility to
care for and raise responsible kids. DUH

Society can't do it, neither can schools.
Kids are already "growed up" by then!

As Bill Cosby said: I put ya into this world, I can take ya out!

P.S. Before anyone freaks out for a seemingly lack of compassion,
I am kidding here of course. You know Bill Cosby the comedian?
I guess with all the peeps on the edge I better make that clear!

[edit on 2-3-2009 by dodadoom]

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
There are things more important than food, understanding, compassion and empathy for our fellow beings for a start.
www.hasanyonetoldyou.com...

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I'm just jumping into this thread....

For one-tenth of what we gave AIG today, we could feed every child on earth for 3 years.

But a sandwich, milk, and fruit are fine. Just not cheese every day. Switch over to PB or baloney once in a while.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   
This is making me hungry for a cheese sandwich. I LOVE cheese sandwiches and milk.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join