It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poor kids in N.M. schools forced to eat cold cheese sandwiches when parents can't pay

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
A dose of public humiliation is the issue. The way it is being done is probably inappropriate and meant to be so.

Personally, I would have been very thankful that someone gave me free meal every day.

If eating a cheese sandwich, fruit and milk makes you want to puke - then you probably aren't that hungry. The idea of what a difference that might have made.......gosh, it makes me want to tear up.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I work in a middle school as a Lunch lady. I can tell you from experience that the children being offered cheese sandwiches probably had every opportunity to get money in there accounts We start telling then at least four days in advance that they are getting low on money, that is if they are just buying lunch. If they go to the ale carte line they spend sometimes two to three days of lunch money on junk. We still inform them that they are running low and to bring money. The problem with most of them is that they are scared to ask there parents for more money, because they spent their lunch money on junk food and the parents only give them enough for actual school lunches.

We have a sliding scale for families that can not afford lunches. If they do not make enough they get free lunches. If they don't make quite enough they get a lunches at a reduced amount, (40 cents). For the rest it cost the full amount. They are all offered the same 4 items, plus on entree'.

The children that are being offered cheese sandwiches have probably been told to bring money, if they are in an elementary school they have been told to bring money and been given 5 free lunches before they were handed that cheese sandwich.

If a family is suffering, they can get assistance. We even had a letter go out mid-school year to remind them, because we do understand that families are struggling.

If you are not one of those struggling families I am pretty sure you have things at home that you can bring for lunch. I grew up in a poor family and we always had peanut butter and bread around the house. Maybe not more than that, but we always had something.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I really fancy a cheese sandwich now!. better than nothing, alough it does single out the children at school and widens the rich poor gap, wich can be horrible to them.

'dont play with him/her they poor!' sort of thing could go on. Miserable kids are not going to learn much.

But those meals sound ok for free.(from an adult point of view)

[edit on 26-2-2009 by MR BOB]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
how spoiled can you get (u.s), i seriously dont even understand this thread,
you get free food and you complain

at least here where i live we have a free schoolsystem paid by tax money where we get to eat as much free food as we can get on our plates during lunch,

I dont recall to have ever had pay for my food in school ,

to me the u.s school system is broken, either you pay taxes and you get something of value for it or you dont , to me it seams that the later option is the one at the moment currently used over there ,

its time for you to wake up.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
They should do what our school system does, have them scan a card and then they can pick what they want from where they can. I used to get the free lunches in school and in elemenary school it was all the same thing. Middle school and HS you could pick from the school served lunches where you swiped your card, or if you had money on you there was the ala'cart line that had school made and local products, then you had your subway and Pizza Hut line.

HS they didn't really care if you ate or not.(Well... the lunch ladies always made sure I ate but I think that was because I worked in the cafeteria during lunch hours. I didn't like eating lunch... half the time when they'd have me eat it was a sausage and cheese sandwhich with fruit and a cookie served in a plastic saran wrapped tray.)

In middle school and elemenatry school if a teacher noticed a child did not have a lunch with them a lot of times they got a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich from the lunch ladies made for them. To me it's no big deal, I remember many times that happened to other kids and no one made fun of them. Kids made fun of people for other reasons, being fat... wearing glasses, etc. We had these kids who would work on the farm every morning then go catch the bus and they always smelled like manure and sweat and they got made fun of so bad for that, but never for being poor that they couldn't afford lunch.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Yes, Obama should make these schools pay for this injustice! These poor kids should get McDonalds and the ones that bring their own lunch should have it taken away.

Is this the society we live in now? The OP would have us believe that giving a poor kid a cheese sandwich is a bad thing?

In the larger scheme of things if these kids are being picked on which is worse? Starving them? How do you want them to get their lunch? Give them a Bridge card like those that get food stamps?

People really need to lighten up and get a life. The kids are fed. That's all that matters period.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
When I was in elementary school, those who didn't have money for lunch or forgot to bring a lunch, got an apple, a milk, and two little saltine crackers with a dab of peanut butter on them. It was fine, I don't recall people being made fun of, I was certainly thankful the few times I forgot my lunch at home.

I don't see anything wrong going on, the other option is starvation, or somehow forcing the parents to pay via court order or garnishing wages...ha!

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
These kids are lucky imo. When I was in elementary school if we didn't have money we didn't get anything. I sure wouldn't have complained if I got a cheese sandwich plus a drink and some fruit back when I didn't have the money for a lunch. :/

[edit on 26-2-2009 by coffeecake]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by moocowman

Whoever that eco freak was he/she needs to learn something about nutrition. Potato chips have virtually no protein whereas cheese has a decent amount in it. I find the whole thing slightly confusing, why is someone who obviously knows nothing about food giving advice on what to eat?

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   
In my experience in a small school district in Texas, it's not uncommon for them to be served either peanut butter sandwich and milk...or cheese sandwich and milk...if their parents can't pay. And, then when a counselor goes to their house for a visit, he sees a new wii and a 52" lcd tv. Or, something similar. I feel sorry for the kids, but...it's the dumb parent's fault for not setting priorities.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   
In my experience in a small school district in Texas, it's not uncommon for them to be served either peanut butter sandwich and milk...or cheese sandwich and milk...if their parents can't pay. And, then when a counselor goes to their house for a visit, he sees a new wii and a 52" lcd tv. Or, something similar. I feel sorry for the kids, but...it's the dumb parent's fault for not setting priorities.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   
It does not sound like an unhealthy meal, and it sounds like something children do usually eat, the only problem is giving a different lunch to those who don't have delinquent bills, that is wrong, it needs to be cheese for everyone or nonone.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by midwestmama

Thank you for your post and your inside knowledge and perspective.

That being said...as soon as I read your post I just couldnt get that Adam Sandler "Lunch Lady" song to stop playing in my head.

"Sloppy Joe!!....a Slop..a Sloppy Joe!!...Navy Beans..Navy Beans!!"

Please tell me Im not the only one

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Land of the free [cheese sandwiches] and the home of the brave [poor kids in NM].

Only in America are the the poor still fed.

I wonder how many kids in poverty stricken third world countries are rollin' their eyes over this story?
... oh, I forgot they don't have PC's

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 01:18 AM
link   
What's the problem? The kids are eating, right? And for free too. I think these schools should be commended for dipping into their budgets to feed these kids.

And to the parents:
What? Is a cheese sandwich not good enough? Then pack your kid a lunch. Seriously, you're welching on your responsibility to feed your kids, the school decides to feed your kids FOR FREE, and you have the audacity to complain that the food isn't good enough. I think someone's suffering from a false sense of entitlement here. Hell, if the school decided to start a tab and feed your kids the "regular" lunch, you'd bitch when you'd get the bill. So either way, the school's in the wrong, right? #ing ridiculous..

Originally posted by space cadet
It does not sound like an unhealthy meal, and it sounds like something children do usually eat, the only problem is giving a different lunch to those who don't have delinquent bills, that is wrong, it needs to be cheese for everyone or nonone.

Why? Why should my child's lunch, that I pay for, be the same as the lunches of the children who's parents want to pay for their kids school lunch and don't care enough about their kids to pack them one?!

Really, if it's gonna be cheese sandwiches for everyone I might as well not pay either, right?

If these families truly can't afford to pay for their kids' food then I doubt that they'd be complaining of the FREE meals that the school provides for them.

[edit on 27-2-2009 by zephyrs]

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 01:27 AM
link   
im just puzzled by the way it works over there for you in the u.s ,

sounds like corporations took over your schools and just think about profits and not education and the health of the pupils.

to me your living in a paradox , you pay money inorder to pay money ??!!

why in t-rex name do you even pay taxes if have to pay for school on top of that and the meals that should come with the taxes, where does your money go ?

heh, i mean it just sounds bizzare to be frank

poor kids ?, heh to me it sounds more like your spoiled.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by staple

I just started eating P&J again.. Pretty darn tasty

I am glad the school is giving them something. Feeding someone hungry child is very noble.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by zerbot565
im just puzzled by the way it works over there for you in the u.s ,

sounds like corporations took over your schools and just think about profits and not education and the health of the pupils.

to me your living in a paradox , you pay money inorder to pay money ??!!

why in t-rex name do you even pay taxes if have to pay for school on top of that and the meals that should come with the taxes, where does your money go ?

heh, i mean it just sounds bizzare to be frank

poor kids ?, heh to me it sounds more like your spoiled.

Exactly. Where does our $$$ go. My daughter tried to campaign at her school for healthy lunch choices, and got hundreds of signatures, but of course was given the old "budget" response. At least she tried to make a change from the absolute GARBAGE that passes as food. Pizza Hut and other companies PAY to have their crap served at schools. Who gets that little kickback?

If we can bail out failing banks, failing companies, why can't we provide decent food at our schools. Kids come first.

As for the cheese sandwich itself. I love em'... My daughter's school gives you NOTHING if you don't have any cash, or your account is empty. So, in this case, at least they get something to eat.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by BlackOps719

Are you kidding? The kids are being fed. Shut up and be thankful.

What a bunch of crybabies.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join