It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Galaxy may be full of 'Earths,' alien life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Galaxy may be full of 'Earths,' alien life

www.cnn.com

There may be 100 billion Earth-like planets in the Milky Way, or one for every sun-type star in the galaxy, said Alan Boss, an astronomer with the Carnegie Institution and author of the new book "The Crowded Universe: The Search for Living Planets."

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I think that there is life on other worlds besides our own.

It's hard for me to wrap my mind around the vastness of space but with the number of stars out there, it just seems like there should be many environments that could support life.

Perhaps some day we'll get to find the real answer.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
There has to be other planets out there like earth but they are so far away we're not going to see them untill we can work together and move space travel along.
If all the space agencies worked together there's no end to the things we could find.
I don't think we're even close to finding another earth just yet

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I think in the near future, we'll have the capacity to detect other planets that may be earth like.

Then Seti could focus on those areas that have potential.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
So here's a neat thing to wrap your mind around...

Waves and particle's...

From what I understand, we are all particles' that exist at the same frequency. Our visible universe, are all the same type of particle as we are. When a particle is moving faster than we can perceive it, it becomes a wave.

We probably have other sentient life on our planet, or near it that just moves at a different speed than us so we cannot *traditionally* perceive it.

Hence other light spectrums made up of faster and slower particles than us, can contain life that we can't interact with normally.

So...And I will use *what if* because it will fire the imagination. What if
the spectrums we can't perceive contain life in the in Infared or Ultraviolet?

Those are both wave types which are particles moving at different speeds than our visible universe.

Our Scientists are taking in account vibrational speed. In fact a society could rise and fall in the blink of our eyes, if it were moving at a different particle/wave speed than us.

Or maybe we will rise and fall in the blink of another wave and particle's reality.

When the End comes, be it my physical death or the death of our collective frequency I am going to attempt to Vibrate faster or slower to escape to another wave.

A wave where life isn't so materialistic and a lot more peaceful, sure sounds nice huh?

-ADHD

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
i just read this article and was going to make a topic, but i see its already here.

chances there are other worlds like earth?????? great chance.

Chances there is life on these worlds that can harness life? great chance.

Chances we will be in contact with them in our life time??? tiny to no chance.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
So many earths and so little tech to visit them.

With the rate of technological advances within the last 150 years rising exponentially it would seem we can at least warp space and time and travel to the other side of the galaxy by 2040 or so.

Has anyone gotten close to warping space-time yet?

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by wiredamerican

Warp speed !!!

I'm ready but I'll be a geezer by then.

Perhaps they'll send me as an experiment.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
if the universe is infinate then then it is a certainty that there is intelligent life out there
have any of you ever looked into the fractal universe theory?
i find that stuff really interesting.
There are some scientific theories going around at the minute that the universe is a holographic fractal

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77
I think in the near future, we'll have the capacity to detect other planets that may be earth like.

Then Seti could focus on those areas that have potential.

I thought that was the point of the entire article... the "near future" being a couple of weeks away

I really think its pointless at this time though. Its just spouting random figures, alot of "maybes" and fictional thinking even if they DO find something. I'd rather we focus on closer things, like a permanent base on the moon and better spacecrafts. Its futile to even consider warp travel if we cant even construct a decent ship to begin with.

[edit on 25-2-2009 by merka]

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Swatman

but given that modern intelligent life on this planet is only 10000 years old, there is little chance of us contacting them, but the fact that the universe is thought to be around 15-25 billion years old there is every chance someone could contact us

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by rufusthestuntbum

and i personally believe SETI may not neccesarily pick up signals. If you look at the 5 billions years the earth has existed, intelligent humanity has existed for around 10000 years and analogue tv and radio for around 100 years, who is to say our current digital transmissions will last any longer before a new platform is made, trigital, or maybe something we have never thought of?

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ADHDsux4me

a bit like the dead cat experiment

have you ever heard of the law of attraction?

f**k if theres some nwo or anything like that we can make ourselves

the universe might as well not exist if it were'nt for the conciousness that saw it

so for one there is definately intelligent life "out there"

and in addition to that if the universe is dependent on perspective then can't you shape the universe to what you want?

mate i used the law of attraction to get a record deal and landed the official club mix of a euro trance record...

[edit on 25-2-2009 by rufusthestuntbum]

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by rufusthestuntbum
reply to post by Swatman

but given that modern intelligent life on this planet is only 10000 years old, there is little chance of us contacting them, but the fact that the universe is thought to be around 15-25 billion years old there is every chance someone could contact us

true but since we see things int he universe about 20 million years ago, the things that would have tried to contact us would be long dead, or extinct

[edit on 25-2-2009 by Swatman]

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Just because something "might be" or someone says it "should be" does not mean that there is intelligent life out there. The straw man arguement that the universe is so vast intelligent life must be out there is just proofless hope. Even wishful theories proposed by scientists are just theories based on what they want to be true. While I do believe it is possible for life to be out there, there is nothing so far evidence wise to make me a believer.

Kary Mullis, who won the Nobel Prize for chemistry among other accomplishments, said it best when he said:
"Science is being practiced by people who are dependent on being paid for what they are going to find out, and not for what they have actually discovered."

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Off-Topic Rufus, but I was Larry the Cable Guy's Body Double for his 2007 Christmas Special, and I was on G4 TV twice as My Character-Persona for a segment on LiveActionRolePlay or LARP.

Yep, I know of the Law of attraction.

I'm not vibrating that way these days quite so obviously, I'd rather just be learning some other life lessons for the moment. I'm on my own for the first time in my life.

Please pardon my reply OP, Back to topic of Alien life...

u2u me Rufus, we should talk

-ADHD

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I am new here, and this is exactly why I joined.

There is a cosmic knowledge that is increasingly difficult to deny. After just a few weeks of research I think I am onto something about the way we (as Earth) COMMUNICATE with advanced and enlightened beings not of this Earth.

The nature and rythem of all things is sort of like sound and emotion combined...it is collective consciousness vibration that forms photon bands and beams this information into the vastness of the universe, and I know someone is picking it up.

Science is telling us the story through quantum physics, astrophysics, metaphysics, astrounomy, and cosmological physics.
I am interested in the connection between sound/light waves and the way our genetic composure responds, (because I am questioning the relationship between genetics and consciousness).

What if we really are upon a time of vast enlightenment? Things are always the worst before the storm, right?

What I have been reading, on-line and in books, indicates to my conscious, decerning mind that there is something to this. I think it "fits" in the realm discussed regarding the possibility that other life is actually operating within undetected light frequencies.

Good stuff.

new topics

top topics

join