It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The SUSPENSION of illicit drugs/mind altering substance topics on ATS (The experiment failed)

page: 67
<< 64  65  66    68  69  70 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

Don't miss the forest for the trees, Ahabstar.

Regardless of who is elected as the DISC members - we preserve what is most important - denying ignorance ... yes, even drug ignorance.

As I've stated over the last few pages, this goes far beyond drugs or being on a ballot.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by tyranny22

Very true.

Also keep in mind that the DISC panel will not be making decisions completely behind closed doors. Input from the rest of the membership will be taken into consideration.

Also keep in mind the DISC panel is not making any final decisions....they will only be brainstorming for possible decisions.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

Happy medium....

...runs off screaming....

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Just stating an opinion and a reflection of what others have said. Like I said from the very beginning, I would accept if a general consensus could be made.

As for controversy, yes there will be some in people's minds whether stated or not, that is the nature of our being. The outright ban and the idea of this new DISC is evidence enough of that even if you remove the speculation of the causes that have been mentioned.

My previous post was stating a summery of some things I have noticed mentioned and implied by all sides of the issue at hand.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
I've woken up in a gutter with a needle still sticking in my arm with no idea how I got there. Have you?

Hmmmm, ya know...isn't THIS personal usage discussion?? I guess it's okay as long as it's a negative story about drugs. It would be totally different if he said he woke up in bed next to some knock out woman with no regrets.

I don't think filters can tell context.

[edit on 26-2-2009 by 27jd]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   

It's impossible to keep everyone happy.

If the staff selected a group then members would complain of favoritism and that it was only a popularity contest....but if the members select themselves we get the same complaints.

It's lose-lose as far as selection is concerned.

It's just something we'll have to live with.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by skeptic1

So now any opposition to the plan you favor is throwing a wrench into things at every turn.

I see.

And I haven't offered any alternatives.... like waiting longer to allow a broader spectrum of ats to participate.

What a farce.

Continue on with your apparent agenda by all means

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Resinveins

I don't believe that was the intent of the post by any means.

I also don't believe it will do any good to try and convince you of that though.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   

I am going to ask a serious question and I would appreciate a serious answer.

If we allowed more time and allowed for a site wide vote, would people end up voting who had no idea about what they were voting for, who they were voting for, and why they were voting?

Would that be more fair or just skew the results into a popularity contest?

Wouldn't you prefer people who actually gave a flying rats behind about this topic than people who voted just for the sake of voting??

[edit on 2/26/2009 by skeptic1]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   

I seriously don't understand how, if everyone on the site voted, it would help the situation. It would probably make things worse, since most would not vote According to who would be best on the committee.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Incredible hot topic. I am coming back and have no time to read another 20 pages, but I said my piece anyway.

It seems simple to me folks. ATS is a business and can do almost anything it wants. This is not a public forum funded by tax dollars. You cannot claim free speech law violations without a constitutional lawyer in your pocket. Only your business will be a vote.

They can make the word "the" a condition for ejection if they want. Any term or usage can be disallowed. Your are free to disagree, but not to demand policy without being an investor or staff. You have one vote. Stay with the limitations or go to another site with more allowances.

They are using a broad stroke, because the fact is that to have to state all the analog variations on drug talk that might be allowable is wholly impractical.

A few users here have caused changes for thousands. One bomb in a man's shoe can impact millions at an airport. (glad it was not in his underwear). Here, individuals continued abuses of guidelines and skirting the subjects with subjective and personal interests in drug use and promoting actions that are against law (whether just or not) that this business has to take responsibility for under certain laws. They are already watched so carefully for the subject and political edginess of the discussions. A broken law or lawsuit would hurt them and us seriously at ATS

This is not an ATS issue exclusively. It is societal. Our society is breaking down. It's morality, it's waning due to cultural loss of spirit and knowledge. When you see the big picture you see it all comes back to issues ATS is otherwise trying to help us discuss and resolve in ourselves through mass knowledge building.

We are consumer slaves. Our children are hopelessly disenfranchised and most are under the spell of bling-itus. They are less interested in compassionate interaction. They are interested in getting more for themselves with less effort like TV stars characters have defined as real life and the mantra of "me". Many of the overpopulated world (our most serious problem) are escaping to feel better, to increase serotonin uptake and be happy. Drugs foster the illusion of feeling better. Games, movies, chat all feed us a new world to wrap us up in, at the exclusion of the real world that seems painful.

More are using drugs for escape, and not the ancient origins of spiritual initiation. Our society has abused its rights to use the drugs and sacraments, and those who control the markets possibly causing unchecked acceleration of this process to elicit vast changes and reduction of populations. (dark this)

ATS is not the villain here if you take responsibility truly. They are victims like the rest of us, if we believe we have no power.

Roll with this and keep the discussions relevant. ATS mods will likely know the difference between a reference for illicit recreation, and an intellectual point related to important issues.

Don't bust their planets on this. Work with them and suggest ideas. Be vigilant for clear violations and report them, or ignore them.

Most of all, become informed and come here to learn, and not just to argue your opinion, philosophy or belief system. Listen to others, give them benefit of your knowledge if you can. You will learn to be objective, compassionate and understand better the reason for changes that are not all about you. It is about us. ATS, you, me and everyone else.

The world is changing. Change with it, but change for better than just you.

ZG

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Oh I agree wholeheartedly, whether I am chosen to represent or not is not the issue. I just want it to be known by everyone evolved that in volunteering they are aware what they are volunteering for.

I stated what I did to be sure everyone is on the same page. As far as grouping of votes that I mentioned. Look at our presidential elections...not everyone's vote is for the same reasons or in some cases, for valid reasons.

The community as a whole will have their opinions as will the staff. We should all make certain that things are done on the up and up to lessen the cries of fowl from the whole.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   

I'd give you a star if I could.

I believe B.H. has already posted a response she received from S.O. regarding the voting from members who haven't already participated in this thread.

In a nutshell: Do they really even care ... if they haven't yet put forth the effort?

EDIT: Sorry B.H. You know what happens when people assume. LOL.

[edit on 26-2-2009 by tyranny22]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Resinveins
And I haven't offered any alternatives.... like waiting longer to allow a broader spectrum of ats to participate.

Please see my post here.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   

If it's any consolation, I know for a fact that you got some votes.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

You would be correct sir. When I see things as being unfair I tend to state my mind. Like I've said all along in this thread... if any are going to vote than all should have a reasonable opportunity to do so. I gather that you feel that the time already allotted to this has been sufficient for a group to be chosen and some sort of vote to be taken. I disagree. And have seen nothing I find compelling as to why we should rush the situation.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Again, not the issue. The reality is I didn't state anything for my own vanity. Just making sure that things are done as right as we can. I have spent quite a bit of time in chat and reviewed the logs while idle.

There have been considerable opinions stated there as well as detractions from more active participants of both this thread and the process that was going on yesterday. Some valid and some imagined. and others that were just spiteful.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroGhost

That was truly excellent.

Quite an exellent post.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by GreyFoxSolid

I concur, Great job Ghost

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   

I don't know how they would vote. They have free will and I can't predict the future. I can guess, but I really don't think it's the point how they vote as opposed to whether they should have the opportunity. Which I very much believe they should.

new topics

top topics

<< 64  65  66    68  69  70 >>

join