It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Group of Rich Americans Sues UBS to Keep Names Secret in Tax Case

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Group of Rich Americans Sues UBS to Keep Names Secret in Tax Case

www.nytimes.com

UBS was sued on Tuesday in a Swiss federal court by wealthy American clients seeking to prevent the disclosure of their identities as part of a tax-evasion investigation by the United States Justice Department.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Heh---I BET they want to keep their names secret. Any takers on how many of these people were beneficiaries of the bailout in one form or another?

It is amazing to me that the super wealthy can get away with circumventing the tax structure, and yet benefit from all of those who are being raped by it.

Although this bank may be in hot water if they disclose the names of said individuals, I for one and not going to be up in arms to see them exposed. lol

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Wow talk about "connecting the dots". I think it would spark a revolution if it got out that U.S. government bailout money ended up in private Swiss banks. Whooie! I hope they lose their lawsuit.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Can you imagine the lawyers trying the case?

"Your honor, my clients put their trust in the Swiss Banking System to protect their freedom from invasions into their privacy"....

Does that speak volumes or what?

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   
This kind of behavior does nothing but help promote the stereotype that rich people only care about money and power.

I mean come on...

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Starred and flagged. Rich people and lawyers. They deserve each other.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
yeah they deserve each other (lawyers and the rich) i know very few truly honest rich people or lawyers .

its one thing to get rich on your own blood,sweat,and tears, thats well respected.

but its another thing to get rich off of lieing ,stealing ,misleading,abuseing,useing, robbing, someone elses blood,sweat,and tears.

im all for earning how ever much you are willing to work for , but there for sure needs to be some sort of ethics involved . You know!

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Yes, it will be interesting to see the names revealed. Wondering how many are in the current, and past, legislative and executive branches?

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Starred and flagged and heartliy guffawed at. I am going to pray that those names are released regardless of who shows up on the list. Call and Ace and Ace or whatever. This system done broke and now we get to see all the stuff they hid from us.
They already know all my information through their corporate databases.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Can anyone say Bilderburg Group? I knew you could.

I wonder how upset the citizenry would be if they were to find out that their hard earned tax money was just given over to the wealthiest elite in the world?

350 billion dollars given to banks with no oversight, and where is that money that was supposed to stimulate the economy gone? Has the credit crunch been averted?

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Out them!
It warms my heart.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
For once they should lose the case, wealthy Americans can go and waste money to protect themselves. We are getting screwed by the how the economy is going and tehy but put economy in offshore banks to protect their assets so if the economy fails they will still be rich. they can go and lose the battle, I for one say that they should not be able to even have a court case with this high topic of interest

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Are you guys idiots or do you guys not know that income tax is illegal under the constitution?

Did you guys know that the Income Tax is a fraud?

Do some research guys, don't just deny ignorance when talking about Aliens.

Anyone who is on the side of the Government on this one, is an idiot.

Why would you want to pay taxes when the income tax is, itself, illegal.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I suspect the biggest culprits are the people doing the outing... I mean, these are swiss banks. BANKS.

This is probably just a manipulation to throw people against each other. I'm pretty sure the names of high profile banking families won't be found on any list released.

This is still crumbs thrown on the sidewalk.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I'm sure this will drag on until Congress reinstates a new bullet proof version of the Glass Steagall Act. The lawyers can keep this tied in the court systems for
a good 10 years.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Well I can see from the responses on this thread that the class was is alive and well on ATS. Well I am glad the original poster brought this story up I do not think it is fair to tar all rich people with the same brush. People are people, have some respect and do not stereotype would be my suggestion. Judge individuals as you meet them and assess their character.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Too late! UBS has already released the names of 300 clients to the Department of Justice.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Boston Tea Party,

Your point is well taken, but the truth is, 'hiding' one's income against the revelation of tax liability does not reflect well upon those either engaging in the practice, nor on those supporting and profiting from it.

I suspect that there will be some who will escape by way of mitigating exception. But that doesn't mean they are not guilty. Nor do all found guilty deserve to be, considering the criminal nature of the entire debacle - centering around fractional reserve lending, monopolistic control of currency, and credit rates.

The whole things a scam, if one person is allowed to 'not have to pay IRS protection money', due to their ability to conceal wealth, what does it say about the nature of the government offering them that shelter? Is that the expected relationship we welcome from the Swiss Bank? Should we just idly allow them to profit from the theft of American wealth? On principle?

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
There are many responses on this thread about rich people and lawyers and the rich keeping the common man down and having bailout money. WHEW!

Thats not the important issue in this case. The Justice Department is not trying to right a wrong - they are trying to get their cut. They are investigating these people for tax evasion.

How can anyone think its ok for the US Govt to pry into accounts another country? That is just wrong. No, I'm not rich and I wouldn't even know how to go about getting a Swiss bank account but I'm tired of the govt wanting their cut on every dollar that passes hands.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
This is great, i hope names are reveled, people are outed, an America wakes up in the end ! STARRED & FLAGGED

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join