It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama mentioned ENDING subsidies for farmers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I heard him say this - George Will and George Stephanoupus talked abou this - how it would drastically effect the economy.
Did any one else catch this "bomb shell" ?

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   
You'll probably find many people here who support it. For the most part, I don't. Major corporate farms shouldn't be receiving any federal aid or subsidies, but the small farmers do need them, at least in my area. If they end the subsidies to those people, it'll put many of them under, and ultimately lead to less food and higher prices when the rest of us go to the store.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   
My point also is that this came - seemingly - as a "surprise"
and I agree with you - the effects on our country
farmers who nhave been paid not to grow etc for YEARS -
well, I suppose that I should not actually be surprised after all??
What more can "they" do to "bring us to our knees?"

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by F.A.Williams

He doesn't want to end them all. Just the ones going to large agribusinesses that don't need them.
And it's not a surprise, He talked about it during his campaign.

President Barack Obama, in his first speech to Congress, called on Tuesday for an end to "direct payments to large agribusinesses that don't need them," an apparent attack on subsidies costing $5.2 billion a year.
While running for president, Obama said in campaign documents that farm subsidies should go to farmers who need them and "not millionaire farmers who rely on American taxpayers to protect their multimillion dollar profits."

Reuters

[edit on 25-2-2009 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Paying farmers to not grow crops is a waste of taxpayer money. Wheres my check? I haven't EVER grown one ear of corn in my life.

top topics

join