It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Royal Navy fast-jet carrier ops

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 06:18 AM
link   
www.avweb.com...

^^ not been seen for many many years now - but a darn good video i found elsewhere of F-4`s and bucc`s landing on Ark Royal (the real one not the toy now)

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 07:17 AM
link   
What a great video, thanks for posting. Really interesting to see HMS Ark Royal again.

The one & only time I saw her was in south west Scotland, late 1970's, early 1980's (??)

Both my Dad and Uncle had served together on her briefly in the 1960's, both were Fleet Air Arm articifers, Dad working on Gannets & Wessex helicopters & my Uncle working on Phantoms. Dad had only been on board HMS Ark Royal a few weeks when he was rapidly transferred to HMS Victorious, two Brothers serving on the same ship was seemingly a total no-no.

Anyway, we'd been taken on a family day out ... Dad & my Uncle were actually looking for a nice beach for us kids to play on. They sighted this hulk lying just off the shore, from memory most of its upperworks had been stripped, you could see inside the ship, the port side was completely open & the hangar area was clearly visible. It certainly wasn't battleship grey, rust was the order of the day, the ship was being cut up. They argued whether it was HMS Ark Royal or HMS Eagle, a local man on the beach settled that one, he said the locals couldn't wait until it had been cut up totally because it was interfering with television reception haha.

Us kids got rushed away because my Uncle got very upset looking at his old ship, him & my Dad just stood alone together in front of her for several minutes, Dad with his arm over the my Uncle's shoulder. I didn't understand then why they were upset, Mum explained that the ship was really their home for such a long time & it was bringing back lots of memories.

There was a lot of junk on the shore line, they approached one of the workies & came back with two links from an anchor chain, which they've still got. Part of my inheritance, I guess, those plus two large shell casings from a gun of HMS Victorious.

Not long now until the two new Queen Elizabeth class aircraft carriers start taking shape & bring a whole new capability to the Royal Navy.

Thanks very much again for the video. And those clipped English accents ! Wicked !

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Excellent video

found my self cheering the last fella on :p

new topics

join