It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turkish plane crashes at Amsterdam airport (25/02/09 ,at least 9 people killed )

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Danish media is quoting dutch newspaper De Telegraaf: "seven dead"...

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 05:48 AM
link   
4-6 deaths, yet not officially verified. 135 passengers, 8 people big crew were on board.

[edit on 25-2-2009 by Clairaudience]

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Luckily it didn't ignite the fact that it came down on soft ground would have helped absorb the impact.Maybe the pilot made the decision to bring it down in the field instead of on the tarmac runway.

Lewtra

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Very good to hear and see that not fires broke out in this crash.

No real conformation about victims on the dutch news.

Press conference around 13:30 amsterdam time.

sty

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by enigmania

"he saw the tail drop" . This can happen if the speed of the craft is way too slow .. indeed strange.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Amazing it didn't catch alight.

Let's hope the casualties are at a minimum.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Am i reading the news right? It says they all survived.
news.google.com.../0-0&fp=49a51eb0070dbe74&ei=yzKlSfujOYHMgAP8v8iJCw&url=http%3A//www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/ article5801684.ece&cid=1308085763&usg=AFQjCNFNaEzxOczgGtgefU6bqaEHpi4Jsw

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by sty

Yes, it seems it lost engine power and was trying to glide it's way to the runway, only it crashed a few kilometres short.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Both of the engines stopped working during the process of landing. The plane didn't have enough thrust to reach the landing strip.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 06:07 AM
link   
There seems to be a lot of planes and helicopters coming down recently, the surprising thing to me is the amount of people who are walking away from these crashes, which is a little away from the norm IMO?

It does sound like the plane stalled before it landed, perhaps the pilot misjudged his altitude? any injuries and loss of life is sad, but for so many to walk away is incredible.

Could it have run out of fuel? would explain lack of fire, and the sudden drop, I'm sure I just heard it came down 2 miles from touchdown, and was below the glide slope for landing.

[edit on 25/2/2009 by azzllin]

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 06:13 AM
link   
At least 4 confirmed deaths, 2 of them are crew.

Linea Secundaris.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by azzllin
There seems to be a lot of planes and helicopters coming down recently, the surprising thing to me is the amount of people who are walking away from these crashes, which is a little away from the norm IMO?

Low speed crashes on flat terrain. This one apparently had no engine thrust at the time of impact, perhaps a fuel exhaustion event, it would explain the lack of a fire. Though there is also the possibility that it stalled, on one of the images the leading edge flaps seem to be down/extended, so it would have had a really low stall speed at the time of the crash, and hence a rather more gentle impact than otherwise. Also, since the terrain is flat, there is nothing for the craft to break up on easily, explaining the fact that there was no fire, at least a little, in addition to the lack of breakup. Similarly, the crash in the Hudson river also was at a rather low speed controlled into a relatively smooth piece of terrain.

Aircraft are designed so that crashes are as survivable as possible, just the accidents recently have been of the more survivable types, namely not straight into terrain type accidents.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 06:23 AM
link   
According to some Dutch media there are 9 people dead, 6 passengers and 3 crew members in the cockpit. At 13:30 local time there will be a press conference.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Reports coming in now of dozens of deaths, not confirmed though.

Linea Secundaris.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Also, just heard that two of the three "Meiden van Halal" were on board of the plane.

"Meiden van Halal" is a Dutch television show made by 3 Turkish Muslim sisters, about multicultural issues and Islam in Holland.

Translated the show is called "The girls of Halal"

One suffered minor injuries.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 06:37 AM
link   
It is wierd that alot of aircraft coming down lately. Its just making even more people afraid of flying. So less people traveling because of fear and low cash, more likely to stay home. Easier to "pick" when the time is ripe.

BTW. Watching cnbc right now and they claim Turkish officials are saying no deaths, hmmm?

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Official press conference in going on at this moment.

9 people have died is beeing confirmed now.

50 people where injured in different catagories.

There will be no anouncements about the technical sides of the crash yet.

Question of a journalist asking if the plane did not have enough fuel for the flight was not confirmed.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Press conference now on Dutch TV (NOS):
(www.omroep.nl...)

At this moment at least 9 people killed and at least 50 injured. At least 25 people are badly injured.

What caused the crash is -for now- unknown.

Next press conference will be at 16:00 local time.

[edit on 25-2-2009 by PeterV]

sty

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by PeterV

Thank you for the updates.. not great news indeed. Just to let you know I also updated the title of the thread thanks to your updates.

sty

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 07:47 AM
link   
CNN updates:

Most of the injured were seated toward the back of the plane, which sustained the most damage, a passenger on the plane told Turkish station NTV.

I will trow my speculation here: due the strugle to save money , the company aproved a limited "reserve fuel" for the aeroplane. This caused the engines to stop earlier than it suposed to , and sure no fuel= no power in the engine lead to the crash due the low speed @ landing.
This also explains why the aeroplane did not catch fire: the lack of fuel!
This is my speculation , if I am right then the 9 people died for saving cash on the airline..

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join