It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFOs, flying saucers look like thunderstorm sprites

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 03:24 AM
link   

UFOs, flying saucers look like thunderstorm sprites

www.news.com.au

HE mysterious number of UFO sightings across the globe may finally have a rational scientific explanation.

UFOs may appear like flying saucers in the sky at first, but they could be mistaken for a natural phenomenon known as sprites — flashes high in the atmosphere triggered by thunderstorms.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Good morning

here is another story on UFO funny enough this one did manage to make the front page of this Sydney newspaper.

Seem to be more and more stories about UFOs in the paper in the last few months are they getting us prepared for something?

Please flag this story for fellow members to see and read.

Peace & health
SM

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 25-2-2009 by smokingman2006]

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 03:27 AM
link   
there was a couple of threads on this yesterday.

I dispute it highly. Just another copout excuse.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 03:37 AM
link   
sorry video link did not work....

[edit on 25-2-2009 by smokingman2006]

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by smokingman2006

These journo's obviously haven't seen one for themselves. Perhaps closed minds never get to see the unusual because their brains are not wired for it - just like when the South American Aztecs failed to see the Spanish conquistador ships close to their shores in the 1500's, until one of their shaman pointed them out and all of them then saw them.

No UFO I have seen has ever looked anything like lightning. This is as funny as the weather balloon caper.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nineteen
These journo's obviously haven't seen one for themselves. Perhaps closed minds never get to see the unusual because their brains are not wired for it - just like when the South American Aztecs failed to see the Spanish conquistador ships close to their shores in the 1500's, until one of their shaman pointed them out and all of them then saw them.

No UFO I have seen has ever looked anything like lightning. This is as funny as the weather balloon caper.

Looks like you're the one who's misinformed. Sprites doesn't look like ordinary lightning

en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

Not all UFO types are the same and I doubt that you've seen them all. They may also look different sitting at the hangar, charging up, flying at night or day. Since you discount such possibilities, I think you're pretty much close minded yourself

[edit on 25-2-2009 by ahnggk]

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Yes and dont forget to check the video thats on the news page there is some pretty freaky shots in there.

Could some UFOs recharge their power sources this way?

Food for thoughts

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Red Jets, Blue Sprites and Elves, all are above the thunderstorm cloud formations.
...they were seen 1st. by pilots and finally "acknowledged" by NASA as camera shots from Space Shuttle missions also showed these phenomena.

If the UFOs seen on NASA videos like the STS-75 (the tether mission) were Jets, Sprites or Elves, I'm certain that NASA would say so, rather than say they are ice and debris....so no way are these getting confused with UFOs.
another point to note is that
Jets and Sprites, for instance, last only 1/60th. of a second!

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I must add that I too, think these might be a source of something of use to UFOs. A lot of the NASA UFO videos are taken over thunderstorms, and NASA spends a lot of time over these storms as well. They claim it is to study these Jets and Sprites, yet the cameras never see any...just these UFO objects!

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   
No, I have not seen anything that I would define as a UFO that has had anything in common with the description of ball lightning in Wikipedia. Those I have seen have been clearly defined objects including saucers (beyond close up, if you can get my drift), cigar shaped, triangular (massive in size) and two luminous balls of light with something I can only describe as a symphony of light and movement within - the last one was the most beautiful and spectacular. There has been others which I would also place in the maybe list i.e. not close enough to be certain.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ahnggk

See above

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by secretnasaman

Wow, only 1/60th of a second, well that would definitely preclude any mix-up with alleged UFOs.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nineteen
reply to post by ahnggk

See above

I think you're still not getting it. I'm not trying to debunk UFO phenomenon by saying they are simply sprites or ball lightning.

But I'm merely stating that the unique operation of their propulsion system can produce visual effects similar to those found in nature. Not necessarily make the vehicle look like one, but those luminous effects around the vehicles.

And please, use the quote buttons, and try not replying after your own reply many times, it's a disrespectful thing to do in many forums.

[edit on 26-2-2009 by ahnggk]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Flying saucers look like flying saucers

Actually, the term "flying saucer" is a misinterpretation of Kenneth Arnold's statements after his sighting: and what he saw was nine of THIS:

flying in Echelon Formation

Six of the objects were also observerd through a telescope and reported to AAF intelligence by Fred Johnson, and more people observed flying objects, the SAME day over mount Rainier: I DONT think that what they saw were just sprites

Sprites are one of the many Luminous Transient Phenomena that are being observes since Earth was born, and i find it surprising that some scientist noticed their existence just now: some other researchers are studing LTPA since many years, for example Italian Committée for Hessdalen Project, which realized an international bibliography that can be found here.

But the most important point i'm in disagreement with, regarding the article, is that it assumes to have found THE explanation while sprites are likely able to cover a very low percentage of the sightings, something way below ZERO %.
Giuseppe Stilo, from CIPH, made a list which purpose is to semplify the classification: so it's not a detailed one, but it makes the point:

AB = Aurora Boreali
AE = Atmospheric electricity
BL = Ball lightning
BR = Brontides
EF = Electrophonics
EL = Earth lights
ELR = Enhanced luminosity of rocks
EQL = Earthquake lights
GP = Gorgons phenomena
HP = Hessdalen phenomena
IF = Ignes fatui
IL = Ignes lambentes
LLP = Long-lived plasmas
MPL = Mountain peaks luminosity
NLC = Noctilucent clouds
SEF = Saint Elmo's fires
SL = Speleolights
SOL = Sonoluminescence
SP = Seismic precursors
TLE = Transient Luminous Events
TLP = Transient Lunar Phenomena
TST = Tectonic strain theory
UP = Unconventional plasmas

The MAJORITY of these phenomena have more chances to be mistaken for UFOs than sprites, for example LLP, EL, HP, BL.
Here are some examples i've gathered recently:

Sprites,

Red Sprites,

Blue jets,

Giant jets,

Elves,

Ball Lightnings,

Atmospheric electricity,

Earth lights,

Earthquake lights,

Hessdalen Phenomena (animation)

Ignes fatui, (artist rendition)

Plasma,

Mountain peaks luminosity,

Noctilucent clouds,

St. Elmo's fires,

Transient Lunar Phenomena,

And don't forget that not only many of these phenomena are scientifically almost unknown, but that there are more ones that still fall into the "unexplained" basket but that are for sure LTPA, for example the rainbow colored lights that appreared in Tianshui, China's skies half an hour before the earthquake that devastated Sichuan.

So, to mention sprites and to don't mention the others LTPA doesn't make much sense: it's a matter, if not of knowledge, of intellectual honesty. They are supposed to be a newspaper, something that should spread knowledge, while often the people who research, even VERY seriously, on UFOs, are ridiculed: with all that being said, judge by yourself.

Here's a nice website about sprites, btw:
eurosprite.blogspot.com...

The article is misleading, incomplete, badly researched and definately inconclusive, in my humble opinion.

[edit on 26/2/2009 by internos]

top topics

join