It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lasers blind pilots at many airports

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Lasers blind pilots at many airports

www.cnn.com

This is a video
Lasers aimed at planes 1:50
There have been nearly 150 reports of lasers aimed at planes since January 1. CNN's Jeanne Meserve reports.
• U.S. News - Headlines, Stories and Video from CNN.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Review This Link When Making Submissions: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums

[edit on 2/25/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
This is very interesting.

I did some searches for other news articles, but most of them speak only of the sea tac instance. But this one speaks about an incident were there were this occured at several different airports across the country, all in the same day.

Since they don't really seem to be successful at causing crashes, I am having a hard time trying to determine what the goals of these synchronized laser games could be.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Yeah its a problem. Our chopter has been lased several times and its dangerous. We have one pilot and no way to get to the cockpit if he gets blinded.

These clowns should be locked up without remorse

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   
This happened quite a bit here in Australia.
Idiots thinking it's funny to aim a high powered laser into the cockpit of an aeroplane.
The consequences of their actions have forced every blue and green laser in Australia to be banned not only is it illegal now to buy and sell them unless you have proof that you need it for proper reasons (you're a science teacher, astronomer, etc), it's also illegal to OWN them.

Simple as that. In Australia it's illegal to OWN or BUY a blue or green laser.
Even the little red ones are restricted. I knew somebody who tried buying a green laser off eBay and had police knocking on his door.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Yeah its a problem. Our chopter has been lased several times and its dangerous. We have one pilot and no way to get to the cockpit if he gets blinded.

These clowns should be locked up without remorse

Did you notice how it was synchronized across 12 airports on the same day across the country?

It sounds like rather a large band of persons are making up this group of "clowns".

I agree... this should be a felony as far as I'm concerned.

I'm just wondering what this "group" might be trying to accomplish...

Specifically because, although dangerous, they don't appear to be successful in causing any great mayhem

[edit on 25-2-2009 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Have there been any crashes associated with laser use? It seems like a crude way to harm a plane/chopper if that is their intention. Quite frankly shooting at one would probably bring you better luck. I am not a flyer but it would seem to me that even with aviators' lenses on the sun would be more of a problem to pilots as far as blinding goes.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   
"Did you notice how it was synchronized across 12 airports on the same day across the country?

It sounds like rather a large band of persons are making up this group of "clowns". "

It sounds like the Government is getting ready to take even more rights away.... That would explain the synchronization.

*I oppose False-flag-laser-terrorists and their supporters!

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   
I took a laser pointer one time, and wanted to see how far it would go. So, I pointed it at a barn quite a ways away, then at some trees even farther away, then on an electrical tower WAY far away.

The thing is, standing there holding it, even braced, I could not keep from having a wobble in the point. The further away the object, the more the wobble. On the tower, I could barely keep it ANYWHERE on the tower.

How the heck are they: 1) tracking a plane so precisely, they can actually shine it into the cockpit, and 2) tracking so precisely they are hitting the pilots in the eyes?

Seems to me that you would need some quite sophisticated tracking machinery for that.

[edit on 25-2-2009 by sir_chancealot]

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1
It sounds like the Government is getting ready to take even more rights away.... That would explain the synchronization.

Very good point!

I wonder what the real reason for these lasers being banned is? For the police to intercept an Ebay transaction, it must be a good one.

Maybe we can contact ETs with them? Whatever the reason, these lasers seem to scare TPTB.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 03:20 AM
link   
I think the dangerous ones are illegal in the UK I could be wrong though it's something on one hand I'd really like to play with myself but on the other hand I'm glad people aren't waving them around.

I think most of the people shining these things at planes will probably end up doing themselves more damage than the pilots though.

And as for the banning well if someone wants one bad enough even I have seen instructions online on how to make them and they aren't super complex not that I'd recommend that to anyone.

Bottom line is some of these are actually very dangerous and I can't really disagree with a ban no matter how much I'd like one myself.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Wow, I can think of about 1000 ideas that can prevent this from happening... without completely banning lasers...

Am I the only one? I doubt it.

Lasers do one thing; they point exactly to the person holding it.

[edit on 25-2-2009 by ALLis0NE]

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 06:27 AM
link   
got to have an excuse to set the stages for criminalization of laser device possession if capable of certain power otherwise their low lying black triangles are at risk for being lased by noobs

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by sir_chancealot

These are not hand held suckers but ones used for astronomy etc so they tend to be Tripod mounted (Ive seen green, blue and red.) At the ranges we are talking about there is some flutter. the problem is that the eye is drawn to light and looks in that direction. Lucky shot to hit the pilot in the eyes then we have an issue.

It will NOT cause a mechanical failure in the airframe. Not that kind of power.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ALLis0NE
Lasers do one thing; they point exactly to the person holding it.

[edit on 25-2-2009 by ALLis0NE]

But you are in a moving aircraft being hit with a device that is easily portable. The times when we have not had a patient and and turned and heading right towards it, it goes off and becomes impossible to spot.

One guy has been caught by the method you describe. He was stupid enough to not only keep lasing but dwelled on the chopter for 15 minutes. The chopter which was law enforcement, was able to vector in ground units quietly and catch the guy. It is a federal offence BTW.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1
"Did you notice how it was synchronized across 12 airports on the same day across the country?

It sounds like rather a large band of persons are making up this group of "clowns". "

*I oppose False-flag-laser-terrorists and their supporters!

Correct. Nobody else has money to be "synchronized" like that - for nothing. It is done by someone who wanted to make lasers out of reach of ordinary citizen. Why, I don't know.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Two drunk teens in the desert of calif tried shining a laser at a helicopter one night.

They found out it was a AH-1F Cobra attack helicopter and the pilot was pi**ed about it.
He held them at gunpoint till the cop showed up.

The 3 barreled 20 mm under the nose of a AH-1F hovering in front of there truck was a very intimidating gun when its aimed at you and spinning.
plus the rocket pods.

I wonder if they needed to change there underwear.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
Two drunk teens in the desert of calif tried shining a laser at a helicopter one night.

They found out it was a AH-1F Cobra attack helicopter and the pilot was pi**ed about it.
He held them at gunpoint till the cop showed up.

The 3 barreled 20 mm under the nose of a AH-1F hovering in front of there truck was a very intimidating gun when its aimed at you and spinning.
plus the rocket pods.

I wonder if they needed to change there underwear.

That would of been priceless to see the expressions on those muppets faces. Does said chopper have video cams etc ? .... i bet they laughed their asses off at that one back at base.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 02:02 AM
link   
although this incident seems pre-planned

i'm sure random instances of this are 5or6 teenagers in a field laughing their ass off,,,,

that probably have no clue how dangerous this could be

also-----wow,,, now cnn video has commercials,,,, geez!!!!!!!!!

you would think a supposed news leader could go without the meaningless bombardment of stupid-ss commercials,,, that are really annoying

top topics

join