It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If there was a real prophet alive would we listen or try to commit him/her

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
If there was a real prophet alive right preaching do you think we would actually listen to him/her or try to have them committed for being crazy.

I just asking for your views on it and do you think the people from ages ago would have thought that the people preaching during there times were also crazy.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
In this day and age, anything goes. Especially in the USA.
Problem is, we have become so desensitized, it would seem just like another car passing on the highway.
A real message needs to be given.
Imagine if you will, Ghandi were alive today.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Tis a tricky question when you look at it properly. Back in jesus's time, many people were seen as crazy for preaching, jesus was one of them. There were many people walking around with a group of "deciples", but they're story just didnt stick when they died. Somehow with jesus, it stuck, and a few centeries later after the resurection story came along it exploaded.

Such as the times now, there has been countless amounts of cults and so called prophets, and just like the time that passed 2000 years ago, i believe they will all be labeld crazy, even if they are genuin.

Why would people want to drop their religion that they have been apart of all their lives, for some guy proclaiming that he is a prophet? It wouldnt happen, would be far easier to latch on to what has been taught to them before than except anything new. Happends everywere, esspecialy science.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Anyone wise enough to have anything worth saying would know the right things to say to the right people, thus they wouldn't get commited.

However #certain# prophets weren't that wise and got themselves nailed to a cross so i suppose it depends if they're a real prophet or some phoney wannabe son of god.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Lol Just see this guy "jose de jesus miranda" who claims to be the second coming of jesus and people actually believe him... I should throw eggs to his door next time i go to Miami hehehe.

Many people will believe. Not me, even if he were real.... I believe we are the ones who can fix this mess, not one prophet who will tell us what to do..

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by aNdReSk
I believe we are the ones who can fix this mess, not one prophet who will tell us what to do..

I coudnt agree more.

Mankind seems incredibly lazy when problems occur for us, we always want someone to blaim, someone to save us from what has been messed up from our own creations, we did the mess, we should sort it out, instead of waiting for some person to come along and sort everything out and give us some moral teachings that we should already know (well, we do but just choose not to listen for the system we have made for ourselves would make it impossible to live well and have good morals that we stick to no matter what)

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trolloks

Originally posted by aNdReSk
I believe we are the ones who can fix this mess, not one prophet who will tell us what to do..

I coudnt agree more.

Mankind seems incredibly lazy when problems occur for us, we always want someone to blaim, someone to save us from what has been messed up from our own creations, we did the mess, we should sort it out, instead of waiting for some person to come along and sort everything out and give us some moral teachings that we should already know (well, we do but just choose not to listen for the system we have made for ourselves would make it impossible to live well and have good morals that we stick to no matter what)

Fear or Laziness?

You do have to save yourself.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
ah waking life! WHAT A FILM! It is a very good question, i can never find an answer, i always end up running around in circles!

We are scared, so we build contraptions to keep us safe, so we can lie back and do nothing and enjoy lazyness.

But then we get scared because we worry that it may not work well, so we make a more advanced contraption, and the loop continues.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Jose Luis De Jesus Miranda hahahaha!!!! Crecindo En Gracia is his church in Miami. Been there once to check it out and make my friends mom happy..He thinks hes Jesus and tells his followers that there bodies will change or transform in the near future.. Funny thing is hes a known ex Heroin Addict and still has women all around him money rolexes he smokes you name it.. Also Ronald Wienland aka Prophet of God.. i believe the last time he said Dec 14th 2008 the first trumpet of the seventh seal sounded....we should have felt nukes by now..I dont know about the rest of the country but i know down here in Florida things are really weird with these different Christian churches...theres so many....Lakeland Florida is blowing up aswell. Its all fake..Dont worry about it. Its just a money making buisness..No difference from all those religons out there than a info-mercial like Snuggies LoL...They just want your money sorry for all you belivers out there that disagree no offense. And if you look at history for a sec.. The Great Disapointment and all the other Apostles,Prophets etc... its all the same..I just feel bad for the followers who get the hearts torn apart and end up broke in the end or even dead like the 900 plus followers 30 years ago that drank the punch and died. all men woman and children.. its a shame... Good Luck and dont fall for it Is all i can say... and yes people will always take these PROPHETS seriously...check out www.the-end.com so you can see an example of how bad it is. Families are broken its a shame for the people that fall for all this stuff.. HopeFully the Recession will tear most of these churches down so ppl can wake up...

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by jatsc

The answer to your question is answered in the Gospel of St. John Chapter 14, he would bring you the truth but you would neither see him nor hear him. You might want to read up on the Mantle of Elijah, it was a sign of having the Authority of God. It (the mantle) was picked up by Elias at the time Elijah was taken up in a chariot of fire. Elias parted the Jordan river in front of fifty witness'es with the "Mantle" proving that the authority had passed to him as well as a double measure of Elijah's spirit. I have posted a photograph of the Mantle here on my ATS pictures as well as other related topics. This same Mantle descended upon Jesus at the time of his baptism by John the Baptist. The amazing thing is the Mantle is composed of living entities.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Allegedly, prophets have a history of being killed.
I don't see why having one around today would be any different.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   
No, I wouldn't ever commit to his/her words. And that is one of the reasons of why I suspect prophets on ancient times were popular figures and nothing more by today's standards. Back then, people surely was very easily impressed by faith and "magic" and all that stuff, so it would be relatively easy for a "jesus" to appear and do wonders...

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Neither. There'd be a tiny but loyal following, perhaps, but the majority would not be impressed. You have to do some pretty crazy things in order to get committed, though.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
No,i dont think many people would.Im sure he would garner a following of devoted fans though..anyone can these days,even Paris Hilton.But a world wide gathering wouldn't happen.If one of his tricks was eating his own head i'd join the club though.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
The US government was using psychic remote viewing to spy on their enemies during the cold war and supposedly had some sucess and than after that.

If a remote viewer was to remote view a classified target or topic and discuss it, it may then be some breach of national security and could also be a threat to the remote viewers life. I suppose there are those who are 'taken care of' so they don't become a problem. They may then be using whatever means they deem necessary to keep them quiet and 'dumbed down.'

A person who may be a prophet or seer on specific events the government CANNOT control or stop in some major way, may be more able to warn them with some amount of sucess for those who are more open.

Many more may have died during recent natural events such as the tsunami and many may have also survived if the government really cared about these minorities. Apparently not?

A real prophet or psychic would hopefully know how to inform people without a threat to their own lives. Even if they have to use some alleged long dead psychic or prophet's name.

A reall prophet or seer would also know many aspects of life and death.

I suppose being committed to your beliefs takes many forms.

[edit on 25-2-2009 by aleon1018]

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by jatsc
If there was a real prophet alive right preaching do you think we would actually listen to him/her or try to have them committed for being crazy.

I just asking for your views on it and do you think the people from ages ago would have thought that the people preaching during there times were also crazy.
Please forgive the intrusion. Please allow me to give you something to consider.

In religion, a prophet (or prophetess) is a person who has encountered the supernatural or the divine, often one who serves as an intermediary with humanity.[1][2]

Claims of prophets have existed in many cultures through history, including Christianity, Judaism, Islam in Persia, the Sybilline and Delphic Oracles practices in Ancient Greece, Zoroaster, the Völuspá in Old Norse, and many others. Traditionally, prophets are regarded as having a role in society that promotes change due to their messages and actions. The label 'prophet' is subjective; a person considered an authentic prophet by some will be considered a false prophet by others: In modern times, some individuals suggest the visions or insights of prophets or would-be prophets, are simply the result of Schizophrenia.

In the late 20th century the appellation of a 'prophet' has been used to refer to individuals particularly successful at analysis in the field of economics, such as in the derogatory 'prophet of greed'.
en.wikipedia.org...

Prophets most likely, after a time would be hauled into court, being charged with some sort of scam.

But, are there people who fit the bill who are truly divinely inspired? I think the answer to that is yes, but they go by a different name.

They just seem to know things others cant even begin to imagine and therefore are classified as insane, retarded, or just lucky. Of course the first question they are asked is, "How Do You Know". There is no answer that will suffice, only more questions. They are quite an attraction and some of their abilities are absolutely amazing, but non the less, there they are, for all to see.

Savant syndrome—sometimes abbreviated as savantism—is not a recognized medical diagnosis, but researcher Darold Treffert defines it as a rare condition in which persons with developmental disorders (including autism spectrum disorders) have one or more areas of expertise, ability or brilliance that are in contrast with the individual's overall limitations.[1] Treffert says the condition can be genetic, but can also be acquired,[1] and coexists with other developmental disabilities "such as mental retardation or brain injury or disease that occurs before (pre-natal) during (peri-natal) or after birth (post-natal), or even later in childhood or adult life."[1]

According to Treffert, about half of persons with savant syndrome have autistic disorder, while the other half have another developmental disability, mental retardation, brain injury or disease. He says, "... not all savants are autistic, and not all autistic persons are savants."[1] Other researchers state that autistic traits and savant skills may be linked,[2] or have challenged some earlier conclusions about savant syndrome as "hearsay, uncorroborated by independent scrutiny".[3]
en.wikipedia.org...

savant
1719, from Fr. savant "a learned man," noun use of adj. savant "learned, knowing," former prp. of savoir "to know," from O.Fr., from V.L. *sapere, from L. sapere "be wise" (see sapient).
dictionary.reference.com...

If I were to "Follow" anyone, it wouldn't be a prophet.

Again, please forgive the intrusion.

[edit on 27-2-2009 by All Seeing Eye]

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by NatureBoy
Anyone wise enough to have anything worth saying would know the right things to say to the right people, thus they wouldn't get commited.

However #certain# prophets weren't that wise and got themselves nailed to a cross so i suppose it depends if they're a real prophet or some phoney wannabe son of god.

Actually, Jesus spoke in parables so only the people who had the understanding will comprehend the words he's saying. He could safely rebuke the hypocrites without them knowing it.

He also went as far to tell some of the people he healed to keep things secret or simply hide among the crowds before that person realized what healed him!

There are times you had to die for something, and of course live for something. But whatever it is, if you really care enough for something, you'll do whatever needs to be done

It was just this case that Jesus was destined to die and he knew it. He even had to rebuke one of his disciples who was trying to save his life.

[edit on 27-2-2009 by ahnggk]

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 05:56 AM
link   

If a prophet were to start preaching in this day and age I would say that there would be a large volume of greedy individuals who would stop at nothing to shut them up by any means necessary.

It would be proof that there is more to this world than hoarding masses of cash and owning everything. Do you think they would give this way of living up easily?

Just speaking hypothetically.

My two cents.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   

The problem with some prophecies and their stories are the sources. The fairytale or kid like story of Noah would have been seen as prophet to few or none of his people until it was too late. This "story lesson" seems to be more popularly used by skeptics as just a story or fable. The history channel has also tried to debunk this and the world wide biblical flood.

I think very few are committed today unless they're criminals or some threat to themselves and others. Most are likely to be prescribed medications. I think familiy members would more likely commit them also, but high costs and insurance dictate otherwise. Many are said to be ending up in prisons. It won't be long before these are all in the same places to save costs. Asylums were said to have been as bad or worse than prisons anyway.

If someone has some known track record or has a following already such as a preacher, there may be those who will listen anyway. One known example is Pat Robertson who claims to get messages from god on things such as finance and the stock market. I wouldn't think of him as a prophet, even if he is right and he still suggests an element of doubt as if some legal loophole.

I would think people in the past would have been 'taken care of' by the government just as the christ figure was said to have been.

It depends on if they were or are a nuisance and a distraction.

In the bible, people are said to be used as mouth pieces. That to me doesn't make them psychics, but just hosts. The christ figure was said to have mentioned the hosts and the great hosts. I guess that could mean who the source is and their popularity or somone more simple and less often. Some only hear what they choose to hear. Someone is always thinking of how they can profit from something, even death and hardship. Telling people what they want to hear, depends on how they listen and their agenda. "I shall tickle their ears"

Even remote vewing doesn't claim to be right most of the time. Natural disasters are less likely to be stopped. But with certain technologies we are said to have today, many alleged disasters are said to be done with some type of weapon or manmade device. Even ancient history may have been manipulated by unknowns this way to achieve their agendas.

I would be very suspicious of any prophet or special effect when it comes to the supernatural.

Biblical suggestions in many ways do hold some truth to them. The problem may be there are those who play both sides of the war. Good cop, bad cop? I suspect a scam, regardless of the source.

"Test all things" "You shall know them by their works"

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
There are no true public prophets today. Any who claim to be are frauds. The faith healers and the like are not from God. It is not the appointed time for such things. However, there are sleeper prophets waiting to come out of the wood work when the time is right. You know who you are.

new topics

top topics

join