It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1200 people Just lost their jobs (aus)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Inside News:
I have a relative who works for Pacific brands, they had a big urgent meeting this morning. The outcome of the meeting is:
They are closing down all their Australian Manufacturing plants, jobs will be out sourced to China to cut cost, which will cost 1200 people their jobs.
Also over the coming months another 650 people will be made redundant over the coming months.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Not good. What will your relative do for work now?

I'm on a traineeship and well aware that I'm skating on thin ice every day I'm at work, it's a worrying thought. I spent a long time finding a job, I'd hate to have to find a new one when so many other people are also trying to find one.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Haven't we reached the point yet where if these companies keep shipping jobs overseas, then no one is going to able to afford their products?

I just love that a country gives folks their business, and they reward you by taking jobs somewhere else for less money, and reward those who can't afford to give them business.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I heard it was more that 1800 jobs.

This is happening everywhere, and will continue to happen. Seems like there is a story in the paper every day.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   
he is ok for now, don't know if he is in the 650 admin staff though??

its defiantly 1200, well 1206 to be exact, its now online.

Property Location Redundancies:
Bonds Cessnock 83
Bonds Unanderra 207
Bonds Wentworthville, NSW (manufacturing only)233
CTE West End, QLD 56
Holeproof Nunawading, VIC 255
Hosiery Coolaroo, VIC 298
King Gee Bellambi, NSW 74

“There will also be approximately 650 redundancies among non-manufacturing employees in Australia, spread across the entire business. We also plan to exit our manufacturing operations in Asia but may divest them as going concerns."

Page 4 shows the lay offs source

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I'm going to boycott them. If they have no customers it won't matter how cheap their labor is and if your going to get a cheap imports you may as well pay cheap import prices from a no name Chinese manufacturer.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Jacob08

i know it sux they going to china to cut manufacturing cost, its not their fault they didn't bring the Economic Crisis about, its forced on them as with many other companies.
Would you rather 1200 people lose their jobs or thousands more because the whole company has to shut down???

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by wycky

I would rather they sell one of their brands and use the money to improve their business model. As it is they got an extension on their debt until 2010 so they might be able to ride it out without selling anything. The decision was made after a yearlong review the company had commissioned, so they had been planning it for a while and the crisis gives them an excuse they wouldn't normally have.

[edit on 24-2-2009 by Jacob08]

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 04:32 AM
link   
What really annoys me is that i bet there were other alternatives for the company to keep jobs in Australia.

I think that the education executives are receiving, namely that shareholder profit is #1 and all else is secondary, is really screwing up a lot of companies. It seems that most executives dont realised that good, motivated people and a well thought out business model will make you money. If you are cutting staff willy-nilly and treating your workers poorly you will suffer lost productivity and increasing costs.

I have seen other companies in this crisis basically using it as an excuse to fire a whole bunch of people even though the company remains profitable. And the question is always "what resources can you eliminate and still keep the business running? you need to cut $x out of the budget". Who says that the company needs to make such a high profit every single year?

"Our share price will suffer!". And...? Oh, right, you ran up so much debt that you now need to raise equity to cover up your poor management.

No regard for people. No regard for your best workers. If someone is expensive (usually because they are good, and experienced) they get cut because they arent as cheap as the next guy. End result, a completely demoralised company with no work ethic and no belief in the company's "mission statement". How hard would you work if you knew there were two more rounds of redundancies in the first half of this year? I know people in that situation, and they aint gonna be working hard for that company because their output doesnt matter right now.

Its truly pathetic. And will only get worse until executives learn that people matter.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by zvezdarIts truly pathetic. And will only get worse until executives learn that people matter.

Quote from one of the great business men of his time who would be rolling in his grave if he knew how his company was being managed today.

It is not the employer who pays the wages. Employers only handle the money. It is the customer who pays the wages.

Henry Ford

Not only do well payed employees produce better products but it also ensures that someone has enough money to buy your products. In history we have seen that if too much wealth is concentrated in the hands of too few then not enough people can actually afford to buy the products made. When that happens everyone goes down because it's the customers who drive economies. It doesn't matter how much you can produce and for how little unless there is a market that wants the product and can afford it.

new topics

top topics

join