It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake to hit LA 'by Sept 5'?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 02:48 AM
link   
A US geophysicist has set the scientific world ablaze by claiming to have cracked a holy grail: accurate earthquake prediction, and warning that a big one will hit southern California by September 5.

Russian-born University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA) professor Vladimir Keilis-Borok says he can foresee major quakes by tracking minor temblors and historical patterns in seismic hotspots that could indicate more violent shaking is on the way.

And he has made a chilling prediction that a quake measuring at least 6.4 magnitude on the Richter scale will hit a 19,300-square-kilometre area of southern California by September 5.

Quake to hit LA 'by Sept 5'

[Edited on 16-4-2004 by Ocelot]

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 02:50 AM
link   
What do you guys think? Is there something to this?

Im always skeptical of predictions like these.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 02:53 AM
link   
thres gunna be a mother of all earthquakes in LA in 2010.

It's coming, and Idont want to be here when it happens.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Socalbmx
thres gunna be a mother of all earthquakes in LA in 2010.

Why 2010? How did you come up with that date?

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 03:07 AM
link   
i read it somewhere, it was on TV As well..

well if a big one is headed our way in september.....

im in the mtro area of LA so i dont think i got much to worry bout, i think the major fault line is souht of me about 20-30 miles.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Based on this "new" information of predicting from Keilis-Borok its possible. Guess I'm glad I moved to NoCal...lol. SoCal has had some recent big quakes, that did minor damage, thankfully they were in the middle of the desert. But if it is larger than Northridge, its difficult to fathom the destruction.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 12:41 PM
link   
well im worried about the ATS members who live there, i hope the prediction is wrong

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 08:27 PM
link   
it's said that l.a. is going to be turned into an island, so pretty much, the 10 freeway is going to be a channel. but i remember a few years back, they did a survey and analysis of the soils around the fault line, and were concluding which areas would be the hardest hit, where most of the destruction would occur, etc..

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 09:03 PM
link   
i think the west coast is overdue for a major earthquake. The earth has been trembling consistently in certain areas of California, they are getting several minor tremors a week. Something is bound to give, somewhere along one of those fault lines.

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I hope nothing happens to. Maybe being in a park will help. Nothing to fall on you.

posted on Apr, 19 2004 @ 12:38 PM
link   
How to Predict California Quakes
It's been discovered that the quakes produced by the San Andreas Fault in California occur at regular intervals. This previously unnoticed cycle gives researchers hope that they'll be able to predict them in the future.

posted on Apr, 19 2004 @ 01:14 PM
link   
if there's a major earthquake before sept. 5 atleast i'll be in l.a. to experience it, and if i die, atleast i'll know i'm be home, rather than watch the disaster in the east coast.

top topics

join