It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

grab your tinfoil hats BMW is developing a navigation system that tracks your habits

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   

grab your tinfoil hats BMW is developing a navigation system that tracks your habits

www.motorauthority.com]Li nk

The goal is to develop a system that learns a driver's habits, and then correlates its current location with the next likely stop and anticipates that move by displaying directions to the place the driver will want to go next.

BMW's Andreas Winckler told Germany's Der Spiegel that the system, called ILENA (Intelligent Learning Navigation) is already capable of 80% correct guesses in determining the car's next destination.

Efficiency is also part of the game. By knowing the route and the various situations encountered along it on a daily basis, the computer can do things in advance like minimize the airconditioning's output during a freeway on-ramp merger. That's something that can't effectively be done on-demand, and yet when the concept is taken to every system in the car, can save up between 5-10% in fuel efficiency.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.motorauthority.com] Link

Edited to fix link

[edit on 2/25/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Great. All we needed a now was a computer that could track everywhere you went and roads and highways that you chose to take. Can you imaging!, they're actually selling this by saying that it can give you better fuel efficiency by knowing where you go and alter the car to behave the best in accordance with that situation. Like turning the air-conditioning off. As if humans cant do that by themselves. They are putting all that weight and effort and cost into machines like that to make them more efficient? Why dont they just make smaller cars for god's sake.

Ahh I dont even know what to say anymore.

[url=http://www.motorauthority.com/grab-your-tinfoil-hats-bmw-is-developing-a-navigation-system-that-tracks-your-habits.html]www.motorauthority.com[/u rl]
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Sigh. Last thing I want is more 'computerized intelligence' in a car. I'll do the driving and navigating, thank-you-very-much. The last good advance in this direction from BMW was their DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) system, for detecting spin and drift and individually braking separate wheels.

The 'I-Drive' system is a boondoggle - give me old-fashioned dials, switches, and buttons any day! Safer, more user-friendly, and more reliable. They need to reevaluate what serious drivers really want.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by kakhama

Were you a chronic merchant, how much do you think you'd pay for information like this gathered from a demographic such as BMW owners?

They had better lower their prices or share the profits.... there had better be a simple way to turn it off.

top topics

join