It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If no SHTF , Still Bug-Out?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I have to admit with all of these TSHTF scenarios it is becoming quite an exiting idea to be able to 'Bug-Out' and become your own one man or one family civilization out in the middle of nowhere.

If it turns out the world economic crises cures itself within a year or two, would there be anyone who would be so hyped up as to just go ahead and Bug-Out anyway?

It seems as though to me it just might be worth it to some. If you have ever seen the movie groundhog day and have thought about living day to day being so predictable why not do something so unpredictable and just bug out?

I would like to admit I have a secret hidden desire to just Bug-Out only because it seems that is what my genes were programed to do in the first place.

Would you consider bugging out just for the sake of it? I mean what could create more purpose in life as to live each day taking care of yourself just to survive? .

With things like the economy and governments it makes me wonder where human evolution is heading in the long run.

I wish that the reason for the world economic crash was to demolish all governments and trade and all commonality to allow humans to evolve naturally rather than artificially once again.

Is there anyone else who shares these Ideas?

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by wiredamerican

Would you consider bugging out just for the sake of it? I mean what could create more purpose in life as to live each day taking care of yourself just to survive? .

Even though I'm not certain I'd make 3 days alone I do wonder. Truth be known at present my good lady keeps me grounded enough. She would be a pretty good purpose for me not to. Were it not for her I probably would just go and start over.

Internet would be a bit of an issue...

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by wiredamerican

What, just wander off into the fields and go "off paper"?

Sure, think about it every day.

Every person has their breaking point. Some have the wherewithall to simply leave society behind. Others fight it until they foam at the mouth, some actually enjoy society as we know it.

Not many people can escape the system however. We have been conditioned to work hard, pay our taxes, get the kids to soccer. To simply walk away would alienate you from everyone you have ever known or cared about, you would be an outcast, an oddity. Thats a tough thing for alot of people.

On top of that, you would need to figure out how to live again. Many of the things we take for granted simply would no longer exist.

Its a dream of mine to someday be completely self sufficient, and I work towards it while fighting this machine we are all in. Someday Ill leave. For those who go as well, best of luck.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 02:44 AM
link   
I've got to admit, thats a very good question. One that I have considered many times. A star for pushing the boat out!

Although, the left side of my brain is telling me that if you feel this, you may want to just do a couple of trial 'bug outs' first before you seriously commit to this.

.... and besides, a couple of weeks holiday will do you good, even if you decide not to 'bug out' forever.

Happy Camping!

Tim

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 03:06 AM
link   
People are naturally social 'animals'. Even if you or I were to bug out, what ever the circumstances, 2012, Crashed Economy or Revolution Tea Party yay!, we'd all find ways to gravitate back to each other in small communities, then towns, then cities, then internet again.
So, if you were and anyone were planning to just bug out and be a hermit, I think they have already.
There's so much wealth in community & family.
Personally, We won't bug out until I say so and like anyone that's prepared and plans for the worst, won't be found once gone.
Plan for the worst and hope for the best.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 03:12 AM
link   
I personally have planned more for Bugging In. That's living in my house without power/water/electricity.

But if it came down to it, yes I would leave society and be a hermit. In my current life style I dont leave the house much anyway and since I was a child I have preferred to be alone rather than around people.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I can't say I haven't thought about it. However I do have a family, and i'm not willing to try to put them through those hardships. We go camping all the time. Not the Winnebago tow the house with you kind of camping. We are all glad to be home when we get there.

Seriously I think that if you were to really "Bug out" before an actual SHTF situation, you would end up being sorry. Whether its the forest service nabbing you for taking game / fishing without a license, or some landowner who doesn't want you on his property. I think it would be a bad idea.

Although I feel I have the knowledge to live in the wild for the rest of my life, I also realize that life would be considerably harder and probably shorter if I did so.

Summer is almost upon us. Think about it a bit. Try going on an extended camping trip. Do it safely. See what you are talking about first hand instead of fantasizing. An injury that can be painful and inconvenient in the best of times can be fatal in the worst of times.

Spiritowl

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spiritowl
Seriously I think that if you were to really "Bug out" before an actual SHTF situation, you would end up being sorry. Whether its the forest service nabbing you for taking game / fishing without a license, or some landowner who doesn't want you on his property. I think it would be a bad idea.

Spiritowl

Spirit, good points you bring up. At least in the US you do have seasons on game, license requirements, things of that nature.

States do their best to protect their natural resources as well they should. To ensure a bounty and sustained harvest that will not be depleted. So yes, you certainly could find yourself in trouble if you in fact broke the laws of the lands that you were on.

However, each state is different. If you were trying to bug out in a place like Florida, the rules would be much different than say Montana, Idaho or Alaska.

Its nearly impossible to simply bug-out pre sit-x and think that the rules no longer apply to us. However, if you know what you are doing, plan ahead, and play by the rules in place, bugging out with little interferance from the outside world can be done. Alaska I know, maybe other states, still allow for subsistance hunting, very inexpensive licenses for those who dont make much money, and still has land that can be had in extremely remote areas for those wishing to walk away.

If you try this is a state where they have harsh laws, you really need to know what you are doing, and will still have some ties to society for things such as taxes, licenses, etc... But there are places you can go now, where you can pretty much just leave.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Better the devil you know than the one you don't........A worldwide event is going to be happening no matter where you go. If or when shortages start occurring they will be felt in outlying areas first. Think about it, they have to feed the masses first. Next, think about the quantity of food and other supplies you will need for each person in your party......and how you are going to transport it and protect it from the elements when you reach your destination. What are you going to use for fuel and light? The Forestry Service and the Bureau of Land Management tend to frown upon people who cut down their forest and defecate on the ground. Then there are those folk who are not as well prepared as you and decide it is easier to take your "stuff" than to drive hundreds of miles to an urban center and rob them. You might be willing to kill to protect your things...but are you willing to go to prison for that murder. The rule of law is not going away, it is going to get stricter. Life will go on. The true problem is, too few people have too much money and that is the real problem. We need a cap on wealth and power.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 02:48 AM
link   
[

Is there anyone else who shares these Ideas?

I do this on a regular basis, I am the first to admit though, being single plays a very large part in the motivation to do just that, get away for a few months/weeks. No power, phone .... one gets grounded `real quick`
And I may add, it makes getting home.. well lets just say , we don`t realise how good we have it, until you have been away, surviving week to week . I am lucky I can indulge in this self imposed isolation, and it also can earn me a living,i.e I trap,/hunt.
It`s great, I love the challenge, it is also very good to get back home.

new topics

top topics

join