It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you told your Family Yet?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by tide88
I remember my uncle horded a bunch of canned food and water for Y2k. He was sure he was going to need it. I personally thought nothing was going to happen, and guess what, it didnt. I guess it is always better to be safe then sorry but I think you all are panicking a little too much. Things will have to get a lot worse before I start hording food and water. After all 90% of the population still are working and are paying their mortgage on time, including me.

Unreal. Ok, you start by talking about Y2K. Well, me being a comp sci major told me everything I needed to know about that. The worst that could have happened was computer lock ups, big deal, they would have been fixed after a few days off. All you had to do was research it a little to know that. lol. Your uncle was smart in one aspect but lacked the wisdom to research 1st. And, when things get a lot worse, you will have lost the advantage of preparation. And youll be knocking on someone elses door, someone who did take the time to be ready for this, someone like me

Originally posted by simonecharisse
Yeah, you guys go ahead and spend all yur money and be prepared for the Giant Disastrous Whatever, just like back during -- Y2K -- . I'll bet everyone was really GLAD they were ready when the giant disaster from Y2K happened. OOps. Oh wait. Nothing happened after Y2K. Well then, I suppose them pinko my'noritees are gonna acum a'gittn fer yer GUNS! Dontcha wish ther wuz still lynchins, so thens everywuns wuld feel more rite?
(I'm making a point sarcastically, but I have a feeling I better clarify that in a thread like this wun).

Another Y2K person
Again, the only people who freaked out about this were the ones who Didnt know what it was about. Just a few minutes of research, and you would have understood its nothing.

Originally posted by IAF101
I have never understood the whole "horde" for a rainy day mentality. Even if you factor in some apocalyptic even like say Katrina, in most cases your stash would be destroyed as well, along with your house, your yard, your electricity etc. Also even during a terrorist attack or nuclear/biological attack, a survival kit would mean little if you cant protect yourself from the radiation/pathogen.

I really doubt that having an X amount of stuff stashed away will help people endure a truly calamitous even on their own. Not unless they have something akin to Camp David in their back yard!

A stash is just temporary and just material that can be lost, contaminated, etc. I think a real survival kit is within oneself. Training your body and your mind with the skills needed. Food, Ammunition etc can be bartered, bought, earned or stolen if you have the ability to do so.

Ah, finally someone who thinks as I do. I bought some books on edible plants and fruits, and other subjects on survival.

And, I do want to point out, the guns and ammo I have now will keep my wife alive and safe. I would love to think everyone will group together and help each other out and restart a community of some sort. But we need to be real about this. I live in an area near a city (albany NY) of people who are angry , poor, and waiting for there chance to riot. No joke, they talk about how they cant wait to have there very own LA riots here. Thats scary.
You say "I would rather not live in a world like that" Or "I wont kill X amount of people to defend my self" , and if you do, then what? Let them have there way with your wife while they beat you to death? Are you sick?
I dont think Ill ever get people like that.

[edit on 25-2-2009 by Anubis3.14]

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I really hope, thats right HOPE, that I'm just paranoid -_-

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   
As a female I guess I'm the odd one out with actually trying to stock up and come up with a plan if something does happen. Family, friends, and my boyfriend think I'm worring to much about the situation and that nothing will happen. When it comes down to things I wish I was supported by a better support group with the up coming Sit X whatever that may be. If we are going to survive it will be better as safety in numbers. I'm trying to find out here and there if anyone else near me is preparing, with out sounding really crazy. All I know is that with in a few months or a couple years, I'll be saying I told you so, and I will have my "bug bag" ready to go.

I'm glad I'm not alone with the preparing thoughts and actions. I love being able to come on ATS and see there are some out there just like me. Well with Sit X happens maybe somehow we'll meet down the road and talk about the post and share eachothers tips in the situation. Keep up the good conversations.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I tried telling my dad. He always gives me the old "If I survived Vietnam, nothing can kill me". I roll my eyes and make a mental check list for him in my head. I have rat scrounged enough supplies for myself and 4 other people.

The only people that take me seriously are aquiantences and ATS people. My friends, I hope when the day comes and the poo reaches maximum acclimation, I will run into some of you.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   
im not stockpiling for a couple of reasons. one i dont have the extra moneys to spend on hoarding food im just trying to survive day to day. Second if the shtf then the shtf so be it.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   
You know this is sound advice. And also, I was thinking the other day that even if a person has no land of their own, they could take a chance on hiding it in plain site.

Example here we have highways that are kind of restricted and miles in between stops. A person could pull off, mark the spot, bury the stuff in plain site and chances are in a few weeks it will be overgrown with some grass and leaves and no one would ever know the difference. Just put it on crown land, and probably good for years. And if now, what do you lose, a few hundred bucks.

Originally posted by bpg131313
1. Filled a 40 Gallon plastic drum with sealing plastic lid full of bags of beans and rice (including big containers of seasonings) and buried it in our big back yard. There's a big soup pot in the bottom of the barrel with a ladle and big wooden spoon as well.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 11:48 PM
link   
There are a million other important issues that our publicity could talk about other than Obama's kids's new Pet for the white house. One of which is that the people in the water industry said they'll be shipping out 15% of the demand of water.

HELLO?!? I wish this would get televised more, people are so wasteful when it gets doing things the "green" way and it further explains the horrible crisis that is being covered.

The outlook doesn't look good.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I have got my life pretty simplified. I would like to get to the point of an older travel trailer, I see they are reasonable now. Literally most of my stuff now fits in a room, and I room with people.

This summer I had a touch time finding a place, and ended up sleeping in the back of my half ton, and you know what, it was not bad at all. Lots of freedom.

Now when I broke my thumb, and had to crawl over the tailgate at 6am with a cast on, and a guy there watering his lawn, that was a little embarassing, but hey, I got over it.

It is a shame. Alot of people here on this forum really want to do well by their family, and the family is in a whole different zone.

Originally posted by Valkyr8
I personally prefer to be able to stay mobile. I don't have a family, kids, wife, or girl friend. I like to stay that way. The reasons are numerous. My life is just a whole lot easier that way. I used to be a solitary nomad and scavenger for a good chunk of my life. I've seen the entire country 7 or 8 times over. I've lived in at least 30 states and traveled though 49 out of 50 of them. It's what I know and what I do best. If SHTF I'll just go back to what I used to be and know very well.

This May I'll be going on a cross country vacation to see all my favorite places. I'll be doing it the way I used to. Sleep and bath at truck stops. Saves TONS of cash that way. Now I see being a nomad again as a freaking awsome vacation!

[edit on 24-2-2009 by Valkyr8]

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   
you people... thinking only of yourselves.

you will find that with the progression of some "years", material possessions will soon be irrelevant. Sure, i bought many survival items (i will not make a list - too long), one of the greatest being a water filter that filters 13,000 gallons on a single filter - far better than "cases of water" in my opinion.

The greatest resource you will find - is that of your brothers and sisters that stand beside you. Help eachother out.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   
This is just not a states issue Spender. If it goes economically, it goes everywhere. You say stockpiling like it is a bad thing.... :-)

Originally posted by spender
fill me in guys, what is with all this paranoia in the states, why all the stockpiling ???

and what does a science fiction movie like the matrix have to do with it

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 01:37 AM
link   
I haven't stored anything or had any back up plan just yet.

I want to consider it but it's kind of difficult to prepare myself/family for any emergency reserve.

I mentioned it to my brother and dad that we should build an underground shelter at our ranch which is deep in the jungles. We could store food/water there.

It's always great to be safe, I hope I get around to it.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by survival

water filter, goood idea

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Stocking extra food and water for reserve. The first sign to see if we are correct in our assumptions is ,price increases. When there is a shortage or profit increase, the result is always the same,prices go up . So storing food at this time is not only correct but is also saving you money, its also an insurance policy, so keep checks on prices and stay alert.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Prepare for what?

Tell people what?

Stock up on what?

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I don't know why you are talking about, not me, it is a pretty blank statement. Why not be a little more exacting with the things you see wrong in what people are doing, and for example, have you stocked up drugs and stuff for others as I have.

The people here in this thread still have some thoughts that you might learn from.

Originally posted by survival

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Oh come Anubis don't sell your brothers work short. Much more could happen and you know it. It never ceases, when you do a good job and you fix the bugs and things transition, oh, there never was any problem. Very stupid thinking. And the reason people did not need those rations was because of people like me and you, and others who saw the need.

So I know in a few areas where we fixed our critical processes where I know our processes were the back bone of the government system, and error of which had major effects.

And I think that bug they found in the old mini that was running the Nuclear Power Plant where it averaged feedback sensors over a period of time and would have went into a negative state was pretty important too.

Anyone who uses Y2K as an argument is a very very very unread person. I am surprised they are even bothering to come here to this forum to educate and share with others.

This survival has nothing to do with Y2K. Do not fool yourselves, you are being a fool for yourself and your family if you let the success of Y2K take you off the hook in getting any preparation at all.

Originally posted by Anubis3.14
The worst that could have happened was computer lock ups, big deal, they would have been fixed after a few days off.
[edit on 25-2-2009 by Anubis3.14]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by SoulOrb
I don't know why you are talking about, not me, it is a pretty blank statement. Why not be a little more exacting with the things you see wrong in what people are doing, and for example, have you stocked up drugs and stuff for others as I have.

The people here in this thread still have some thoughts that you might learn from.

Originally posted by survival

To be honest when TSHTF how many people are you truly going to be watchng out for?

Let me work it out for you.

1, yourself
2, the spouse,
3, the children

end of.

anyone else you add to your list reduces YOUR chances of survival should TSHTF.

Yes you will probably after the main event try to locate other family members , friends, and possibly if The Poop is bad enough bump into others along the way, as you collect supplies.
Your main concern in any SitX is to look after yourself, like we first aiders say, if I'm injured I can't help you. Thats why in a first aid scenario you look for danger to yourself first and foremost, should anything happen to you , you can't then help anyone else, and if your injured who's going to come to help you?

Same rule applies to when TSHTF..

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Oh my God hat is so true. The other day a woman and her two co-workers could not use their cards, and had a hart time getting the $5 for 3 cups of coffee between them.

And Peru, what are they going to be eating there? They are on the same planet right? This is just not about the US.

Originally posted by bpg131313

Originally posted by JetshadowTRUE
My girlfriend is rather skeptical about any type of situation X, and she says that if SHTF, she'll just leave and go to Peru.

/quote]

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join