It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you told your Family Yet?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 08:15 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Good thread. I have a lot of similar stories to all of yours so I won't repeat what has already been said. I guess I wonder how many of us need this SitX to occur in order to feel vindicated with friends, or family.

I only concern myself for my wife and kids, and how I will be able to prepare for them when a situation arises. A natural "male" instinct. However, I wonder how many of us are making longer term goals? Meaning with our homes, and money? I for one, have stopped funding my 401K a year or so ago. I have also kept a stash of cash in a safe. I have food, water, and ammo, like the next man. However, I am actually looking to take things a step further, and purchase a farm away from the current city center in which I live.

This is the type of information that I keep to myself. The reasons for such consternation, and planning.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Great post, and no. I'm working it right now, any extra cash is being saved or spent sparingly. The sh** will hit the fan before you know it.

Best to start now.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   
NICE THREAD.

I'm about the same.

My familly think i'm nut. My friend think i'm dr. doom and gloom.

I left my job to get a closer one from home. I remove my pension plan from my former company to where I can manage it myself.

They call me dumb, because I don't nothing about economy; I didn't loose a penny. No, I made some, while former co-workers lost about 40 % with experts......

I told familly and friends about some financial moves they shoud do. Nobody called back or ask for nothing. They prefer the bites from the shark, than the unknown of maybe not being bitten at all.

In fact they are allways expecting someone to blame, instead of taking themselves in charge. They prefer to loose all their assets if they can blame the governement or their portefolio manager.

They won't learn the basic, it is far more to complicated. Why thinking by ourself, didn't we elected folks to do that for us !!!!

They prefer Howie's suitcases as ecomonic lessons.

They prefer let the pro sink them, instead of assuming their own crash or their own success. As long as they have someone to blame, it is ok....they are not responsible, thus they can ask for something.

But it is 2 from midnight.......

I buy more canned foods than I usualy do. More pasta, more coffee, etc....

I stop planing for a new car, a new lcd tV set.

The economy will collapse totally. That's my fear. And each day, I'm getting less nuts through others eye, since we see confirmation of the collapse each day by the incoming news.

The best I founded is less you told about when TSHTF, the better. But That doesn't mean not to discretly prepare.

You scare your love one for nothing and if didn't happen you, you will be categorize as a weirdo.

Find way to diffuse big buys that will enslave you in debt. I mean, convince that uncertainty about the future, instead of the immency of Armagedon.

It's a nice thread about how to deal with close ones and relative in the actual events. I feel not be alone, Big thanks.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by ConMi27

Yeah, I've been stocking up on food, water and ammo as well. My wife knows of some of what I've been doing but I keep quiet about it. My brother and I were talking this past weekend and I mentioned some of what I've been doing and he said that he was as well. He is a very level headed guy and the concerns he had were very out of character for him.

There seems to be an almost universal feeling that something is very wrong here, and the shoe is about to drop. I go to gun shows in my state and they've been absolutely jammed since Obama was elected. I've never seen anything like it, and I saw the response after the '94 ban.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I tried, most of em are laughing but 1 has taken it to heart and did buy some extra food, only for a month or so but that is something. The rest is just 'Hahaha, silly harman' Ah well, i've got food and am able to share it untill that runs out. After that i've got a bag with some more food and useful stuff to have at the outside, just for me.

[edit on 25-2-2009 by Harman]

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Okay, you guys that are really prepared - burying things in the back yard ect - are making me hot! Seriously, it took me a year just to get a broken toilet seat fixed lol Now, I love my dear husband but, I have one of those slightly effimenint, nerdy, sci-fi types (love those qualities btw) but when the excrement hits the oscilating unit - I'm screwed! lol

Every night he gets a complete run down on my ATS adventures during the day - seriously guys, I'm freakin addicted - I've been a lurker for years but now that I've signed up - I'm here all day and into the wee hours of the morning. Heh, there seriously is not enought time in the day to explore everything I want on ATS may the gods help me when I get up to 5k points and venture further down the rabbit hole. Luckily for me, I'm on crappy dial up (ahhh even in the 13th largest city in the US DSL is *not* yet available what the frak) so I can't check out the video portal yet.

Back to topic, sorry, no sleep
What have I done? Oh, I picked up some bottled water last week - but I've already drank 1/2 of it cuz something is up with water here in Indy - again, off topic. Now, I've considered buying a can of spam and some beef jerky everytime I go to the store to put in reserve but the poster, sorry hun, don't remember your handle, about stocking up on rice and beans - brilliant! Even included spices! Okay, where do YOU live? lol

I do *not* want to go to a FEMA camp! Hell no, I won't go! I know they'll not allow smoking which also means I should stock up on nicotin patches - lol Can you imagine the level of rioting when us spoiled americans can't get our smokes and what a helluva time to be out too eh? We don't have any firearms in the house but a ton of swords including a wicked star trek batlif (spell ck here) I hate that thing and can't lift it anyhow - anyone want to buy it? lol Made in pakistan and it's scary! But having all of these swords reminds me of that scene in Indiana Jones when Indy pulls out the gun

That same poster mentioned he had compasses, maps ect. I think I have a crush on you

Our best bet would be to head to my father in laws. Now there's a man! He's got a nice piece of rural land in Illinois, he's an excellant hunter. Problem, he's three hours away. Am I right in my thinking there's zero chance we could make it there? 70 W would be a gridlock nightmare and we would for sure end up in the FEMA camp - now I'm serious about this question and would like an intelligent response.

Another almost off topic comment, I've noticed in Indy they are building walls around 465 - this circles our circle city. They probably say it's for noise reduction (yeah right) but the ATSer in me sees a more sinister purpose. They are either trying to keep the traffic on 465 out from coming in the city or trying to keep us in. You couldn't even scale these massive walls they are putting up. Now, our gov Mitch Daniels (Bushies whipping boy and now putting his hat in for 2012 lmao) probably got some sweet fed money for this project but, I tell ya, it's a freaky thing. I'll try to get a pic of the walls I speak of and post em here sometime.

Now, after constant daily chatter with husband and him seeing (especially in the last weeks) that predictions (term used loosely as these weren't based on magic 8 balls but intelligent ATS discussion) I've told him about the economy and stuff and then within a few days, guess what ATSers - we were right! I think I've sufficiently got him thinking. He's up for a 20 yr anniversary gift at his work - they offer all kinds of BS but one them happens to be a gold ring (he works for company who makes Heisman trophy, NFL rings, class rings n such) he's opted for the ring instead of the other crap they offer.
I don't think we are being paranoid. As a fellow ATSer pointed out, it doesn't have to be armageddon, it could be Katrina situation. It's IMO only intelligent to be prepared.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Same boat here too. Let’s just combine our stash and go on a 3 hour tour, on the SS Minnow. Lol. My wife rolls her eyes and says you don’t know, I try to pull back the wool over her eyes, as to what coming. So now I have to start stock pilling stuff with out her knowledge, it just gets very frustrating.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by RobertPaulsim

I do not think of it as fear, I think of it as awareness and being prepared. This is what I tell my family, don't be afriad, just be aware of what is going on and make sure you have what you need to keep your family safe and healthy..

We do need to think about the upcoming crises. we don't need top freak out, but we need to CYA.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I was just talking to my wife last night about growing a vegetable garden in the spring. I also told her to start picking up some extra canned goods and bottled water each week to keep in reserve just in case. I am going to pickup a generator to keep in the garage.

I have not told her what I am expecting I am trying not to alarm the family too much but they are beggining to ask what is going on. Right now I am just telling them it is always good to be prepared for the unexpected. I am not telling them I think the dollar and the economy is going to collapse by the end of this year.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Ok people, here's another one to scare you. Solar cycle 24 is underway. It may get hot soon. Seems like the temp went up 15 degrees or so in one day where I'm at.

Lake Yellowstone or Yellowstone Lake, the lake over the rising dome on the caldera in Yellowstone does not have to my knowledge any large drain pumps in place. If the dome starts to rise quickly, the water could seep through. When that water hits the magma underneath, guess what? Whoosh, boom.

We in North America could be extinctified.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I have a similar problem sir.

The only thing for me is "I'm the crazy rebellious" outcast in my family. They ALL think things are hunky dory, and that the economy will bounce back with the new stimulus plan, and that Obama will save everyone.

The worst is, I have extended family (aunts, uncles) where I actually HEAR them talking about NWO #, but they are FOR the globalist economy, and government.

I do everything I can daily to wake up my loved ones, so far my best attempt was with my girlfriend. She is wide awake now.. so I guess I have some things to be thankful for

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by branty

YES YES YES!

THE HORRIBLE FEELING THAT THE WIFE MAY BE A LIABILITY

AND LITERALLY 'DO US IN' in a moment of poor judgement in a crisis is my

BIGGEST fear. I have a 7 yr old

precious daughter - like all our kids - and just want to get her from point A to B

somewhat healthy. I have been prepariing since she was born.

Wife doesn't get it, but loves joking about her 'crazy survivalist husband.' Nice.

May Fate Favor the Foolish....

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Ok, back on the OP subject now.

MSM is watching us here.

Glenn Beck's radio show covered this topic yesterday.

Here is the link and Ex.

glenn beck

Is Glenn ruining your marriage?
February 24, 2009 - 13:04 ET
February 24, 2009 - 13:04 ET

STU: That might be your wife, but you are saying you are getting a lot of these calls. I would like to know how people bridge the gap from a person who's building a bomb shelter to person who wants to go to the mall to buy jewelry.

GLENN: Well, hang on. Here's Suzie.

CALLER: Hello.

GLENN: Hello, Suzie, how are you?

CALLER: I'm fine, thank you.

GLENN: Good. Now, are you the one who has banned me in the house, or is he the one that wants to ban me in the house?

CALLER: Oh, he's ready to flip me.

GLENN: Really?

CALLER: Oh, yeah.

GLENN: Like put a new dress on? Because you're pro apocalypse or antiapocalypse?

CALLER: Oh, pro.

GLENN: You are pro apocalypse? You are like bring it on?

CALLER: Well, no. Just, I believe I'm a realist.

GLENN: Yes, okay. And he's not?

CALLER: He's sunshine and lollipops.

GLENN: Okay. Now, have you had the discussion with him, Suzie, that, "Honey, I hope you're right. I absolutely hope you're right but, you know, have you thought about..." do you have kids?

CALLER: Yes.

GLENN: Have you thought about maybe having, you know, a few extra cans of Spam around the house? Might not be the dumbest thing we've ever done?

CALLER: I don't think he would know how to open the can.

GLENN: Well, that would be his problem, wouldn't it?

GLENN: "You know what, honey, I tell you what, you go upstairs. The kids and I are going to be in the basement and we're going to be eating like kings. You'll be upstairs trying to figure out how to get the key off the side of the can."

CALLER: There you go.

GLENN: What have you said to him?

CALLER: Well, it's -- you know, people have to be aware of what's going on, and I consider myself tuned in. You know, I listen to both sides of every story.

GLENN: Sure.

CALLER: And I am an intelligent person. I make up my own mind. And he just says, "Oh, you shouldn't listen to that guy. He just brings you down. He just brings you down." And I just kind of laugh and say, "Well, gollee, when the end is near, you're going to wonder what happened."

GLENN: Okay, hang on just a second. What would your husband say that now, now Rupert Murdoch -- oh, jeez, he's Fox News. Rupert Murdoch, media baron Rupert Murdoch -- this is on the Drudge Report right now -- issued an urgent internal communication warning his staff, "We are in the midst of a phase of history in which nations will be redefined and their futures fundamentally altered. This dramatic call comes as markets continue their plunge. Many people under extreme pressure and many companies will be mortally wounded. Our competitors will be sorely tempted to take the easy beat to reduce quality in search of immediate dividends. Let me be clear to you and our company: Where others might step back from their commitment to their viewers, their users, their readers and customers, we will renew ours. The direction of our business now and over the next few years will define the character of our company for decades."

Okay, so you have Rupert Murdoch saying nations will be redefined in this next time period. You've got George Soros on Friday saying that there is no prospect of a near-term resolution to the banking crisis. The turbulence is more severe than during the Great Depression. He compares the current situation to the demise of the Soviet Union. Then you have Volcker, the guy who pulled Reagan out of the Carter years, he echoed the same remarks made by George Soros. Volcker said that industrial production around the world was declining even more rapidly than in the United States. Quote: I don't remember when things went down quite so fast. So now how am I the crazy one? How are you the crazy one, Susan?

CALLER: Well, he would tell me I need to listen to something else and he would ask me who Rupert Murdoch was and who George Soros was.

GLENN: And Paul Volcker?

GLENN: And so he would just dismiss it because he doesn't know these people?

CALLER: Correct. And it's negativity and negativity isn't good for you.

GLENN: Okay. Well, you keep it up, Suzie. I don't think anybody's going to have an answer. I think everybody's going to have the same answer.

STU: But wait a minute. Isn't there a place for a relationship where not everyone is in tune with Paul Volcker's history? I mean --

GLENN: No, no, no, no.

STU: How that space --

GLENN: See, wait. I think that that is the problem. People will only look as far down as they care to. They can't handle anymore. So you would say in a conversation like that I would say, "Honey, who is Paul Volcker? Who is Rupert Murdoch? Who are these people?" Then I would find out about them and then I would find out, Soros is a lefty-left guy. Okay, I don't know if I believe him. But Volcker, okay, maybe. Rupert Murdoch is not a lefty-left guy. I mean, you know, you've got huge voices coming out and saying things that aren't necessarily good for their businesses. You know what I'm saying? You don't want people like that saying these things. And they're starting to come out more and more.

there is more on the story

[edit on 25-2-2009 by j2000]

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by son of PC

This is really off subject. You better read the what the OP is.

In fact Mods, there are several posts in the last page that have nothing to do with this thread.

Interuptive to the thread, on purpose I suppose. May it's a conspiracy.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by drphilxr

Don't worry, when SHTF, they will come to you for all the answers.

Just like all the friends and relatives who will want to know if they can have some of your supplies.

I got this crap last fall. I was a broker at one point in the early 90's.
I tried to tell everyone last Jan before the first bailout, to get out and buy gold and supplies.

After they lost their money in Sept. - Oct. they wanted to know what to do to get it back.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Everyone in my family is an avid reader. For the most part they don't want to think about the what ifs. I can appreciate the need to be comfortably numb, however I am the leader of this family. It is my job to take care of them. So I started leaving my books around where they could find them. The bathroom, the coffeetable etc. I purposely left books out when I was finished reading them. It didn't take long. I started noticing the books moved from somewhere I left them. Then the questions came. I have always felt it is better to have and not need, than to need and not have. Yeah I was a boyscout. I am prepared.

We live in an area where weather can force you to stay home for periods of time. Because of that staples are always in surplus. When the family started to get informed and understand that a disaster can happen anytime it was not hard to convince them that we should stock up a bit. Our supply of staples went from a few weeks to a few months.

If nothing else, by putting away a few more cans of food, etc. I have saved myself some money further down the road when prices go up. That is the one thing I can count on. Whether it be hyper inflation or just the normal kind, it is cheaper to buy it today than tomorrow.

I know my efforts are starting to pay off because my 14 year old daughter commented to me that we should probably put away a case or two of toilet paper.

I will not go as far as getting bio chem suits, gas masks or machine guns. To be realistic, if things got bad enough for that I don't think I want to be around for it. I think the only people able to survive in a world like that have the supplys provided for them by the government. Yeah those guys in the missle silos.

I think I am going to have to give the gun / ammo thing some more thought. The other day at work I jokingly said I was going to the gun show this weekend to sell off my guns because I need the money in this economy. One of the guys there said, "I know where I'm going to raid when TSHTF". I think he was serious. That kind of scared me. Someone who seems like good people suddenly reveals that he would be willing to go raid someone he knows because they would be unable to put up a fight.

I would like the world to be a wonderful place where we all are equal and care as much for each other as we do ourselves. However we dont live in that world. Sadly I don't think we ever will. So I do what I can to survive.

Best of luck to all of you!

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
remember folks, it will be our good nature to each other in these comming times that will seal our survival, Not to say go up to everyone and hug em an give em your gear, just be watchful of others who may make a better member then a possible threat.

We will all need to help each other even if its a mysterious leaving of supplies, or such, not that its your job to supply others, but just dont forget we are human, and without each and every one of us, life would just be boring.

I have no problems with my hording, my wife knows and agrees, an thats about it as far as who knows about it, since most i talk to either see it for what it is and seek other means of coping, or they just dont believe in this day an age something that bad can happen.

Honestly in a economical downfall such as this, its not really the countries who are struggling you need to be watchful of, its the countries who are the most industrious that you such be wary of. Specially one with a dictator-like regime. Who can make demands like, work or you get no food, shelter, and no family.

these comming years things will only get way worse before they get way better, and thats what we are preparing for, the way worse and the way better, the before and after of sitx, Just remember, just becuz our fellow man ( and women ) dont wish to pay attention and heed warnings, doesnt mean they are any less human then us, just means they weren't informed an/or in understanding with the idea that their great country, could never let this happen to themselves.

Prepare, Protect and provide knowledge Sitx is on our necks.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
my wife also gives me that deer-in-the-headlights look when i talk about stocking up on supplies. because we live in the SF bay area i've used the "earthquake" thing as a reason why we should continue stocking supplies. -- which right now is basically water and MRE's.

the hard one to talk about - and she's a total sweetheart about it all, but it's getting a hand gun for the house. she said once: "do you just want to kill someone?"

i told her of course NOT, but if something major went down and thugs were out pillaging, i wouldn't let anyone harm her or myself. i told her, "it sounds crazy to think that something would ever go down, but if it did, you will thank me."

for several months out here, SF ran an ad campaign about earthquake preparedness, and it was pretty cool to see. just being prepared in general.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Yeah I told my family that you were paranoid and they agreed, meanwhile we continue to live a normal life while you dreamers continue to imagine things.

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join