It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could companies cutting work weeks become a norm?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I recently read an article on the financial times on yahoo news here which stated

The Financial Times, the leading financial newspaper, will offer staff the chance to work three days a week over the summer as part of its drive to cut costs, a company spokesman said Monday.

"We are offering a range of flexible working options to our staff, including a temporary three-day working week in the summer between June and August, ... to respond positively to the changing market," said spokesman Tom Glover in a emailed response to questions.

Britain's Guardian newspaper reported Monday the FT have also offered employees additional annual leave but at a reduced rate of pay, citing an internal company memo.

Glover confirmed the memo's existence and said the measures are in addition to the 80 job cuts announced in January, which include 20 editorial staff.

Could this become the norm for companies? in order to save jobs, but still cut costs? thoughts?

[edit on 24-2-2009 by baseball101]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by baseball101

Its already happening man. I'm sitting at home right now, been on ATS all day I don't know what to do with myself. I work for a small business and unfortunately work in the construction field. Most of the employees who work in the office only come in mon., wed., fri., and sat. (except the sales people). I've been looking for a new job... rough times for sure.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Wethesheeple

yeah, but i'm talking like the salary paying jobs, not the hourly ... or do you have a salary?

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by baseball101

I make salary and yeah it's been cut severely. Yeah they cut my salary by about 1/3. And no I wasn't given an option. The owner of the company is a great guy so I don't mind working for him right now but I'm definitely looking for a new job.

[edit on 24-2-2009 by Wethesheeple]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Wethesheeple

so did they cut your pay as well?

did they make it an option or just force it on you?

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
The Marxist notions of capitalism, proletariat, capital, etc would suggest(if Im not hugely mistaken) that the ongoing exchange between capital and labor would naturally allow capital ( management) to have the say in how the scheduling goes. But it still has to barter or bargain an agreement with labor and so in this case the reult is a compromise between keeping many employed in exchange for cutting hours.
The third shift hasn't been around for so long. When capital needs max labor it gets it and when it doesn't it doesn't.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I would not be surprised to see the return of the three day week to the UK, but this time for economic reasons.

I already do a three day week - 3 x 12.5 hr days.

top topics

join