It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fat kids should be removed from home; Fat parents not allowed children

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by sadisticwoman
Our obesity rate is rising. Parents aren't teaching THEMSELVES proper nutrition, let alone their children.

I totally agree. This is a problem. I was talking to my grandma once about this and she said that when she was a girl growing up, they had no genetic altering of our food. They didn't have fast foods littered with chemicals.
Families cooked their food. Most of the time from scratch.

Now we have even more stressful lives, and a fast food joint on every corner. When a mother has been running ragged all day long, providing for her family, and it's 7pm and the kids are screaming for food, where is she going to go? Home to take an hour or two more to prepare dinner, or Mc Donald's drive thru? My best friend grew up in that situation. She never ate healthy, didn't learn to cook either.

Sometimes, I don't know where to lay blame. The ridiculous amount of fast food places with un-natural crap in their food, or the mother who is just trying to get by... has little time to make do.

I would agree that people should learn nutrition, and eat healthy foods.

But who are we to tell other people how to live? Or what to eat?

I don't want to be that person. I also don't think it's fair to generalize all obese people, and categorize them as lazy. We don't know why people are obese. There are many reasons, and not all of them are from unhealthy eating or lack of exercise.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by sadisticwoman

Although you are CORRECTLY pointing out one of the many ways parents can be COMPLETELY irresponsible, this is a slippery slope.

Once you start curbing rights of one group of people, the next group is already in the pipeline.
How long before someone decides gay and lesbian peoples rights should be curbed.
Then what about people with unusual views of life such as wiccans.
Then people with views less unusual such as non mainstream christians and muslims.
And on and on.

Extremely obese people are unhealthy and extremely obese parents who have kids are unhealthy and irresponsible. The unfortunate part is nothing can be done to help these people because they don't want your help in any way. They, for the most part, WANT TO BE FAT. They, for the most part, WANT THEIR CHILDREN TO BE FAT.
I wish this wasn't the case but it is

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   
I think you would have a pretty fit world. But what about people who have fam. history of cancer, stupidity, arthritis, any number of things we say are bad. If you start that where do you stop? Just what we need more people telling us what to do..

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   

I have a son who is a large boy, 8 years old, 120 pounds, however he is not obese, he is just very stout. We have taken him to the doctor, thinking maybe a thyroid condition or diabetes. All tests negative. We monitor what he eats and the amounts he eats, nothing different than what a normal kid eats. Doctors wording to us: His body just stores its fats and nutrients differently, and he is in turn a bit different than other kids. Just like everyone else, we are all a bit different in some aspect. So, he should be taken away from a family that loves him very much, and whom he loves very much, simply because he is overweight? What about skinny kids, should we remove them too, regardless of the fact that many of them can eat whatever they want, in whatever amounts they want, and never gain a pound?

You know, lets take this further, how about we begin castrating/neutering individuals who cannot spell "excersice" correctly, as in the OP. Clearly, you are not fit to raise a child, I mean how in the world do they have a chance when their parent cannot even spell the very word he/she is attacking others for? kinda silly, huh?. Here's a bit of advice for you, for the next time you have an idea like this : "Better to keep your mouth closed, and let others assume you are an idiot, than to open your mouth, and remove all doubt"

[edit on 26-2-2009 by theQuest]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by theQuest

I have a son who is a large boy, 8 years old, 120 pounds, however he is not obese, he is just very stout. We have taken him to the doctor, thinking maybe a thyroid condition or diabetes. All tests negative. We monitor what he eats and the amounts he eats, nothing different than what a normal kid eats. Doctors wording to us: His body just stores its fats and nutrients differently, and he is in turn a bit different than other kids. Just like everyone else, we are all a bit different in some aspect. So, he should be taken away from a family that loves him very much, and whom he loves very much, simply because he is overweight? What about skinny kids, should we remove them too, regardless of the fact that many of them can eat whatever they want, in whatever amounts they want, and never gain a pound?

You know, lets take this further, how about we begin castrating/neutering individuals who cannot spell "excersice" correctly, as in the OP. Clearly, you are not fit to raise a child, I mean how in the world do they have a chance when their parent cannot even spell the very word he is attacking others for? kinda silly, huh?. Here's a bit of advice for you, for the next time you have an idea like this : "Better to keep your mouth closed, and let others assume you are an idiot, than to open your mouth, and remove all doubt"

What about taking away children who are fed a vegan diet?

Extremely obese children are at serious risk of many diseases including early death but we're talking extremely obese.

Anyway, I don't think children should be taken away.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Me senses that the OP is an ex-fatty, these folks are worse than ex-smokers!

No worries though because-

When the aliens arrive, they'll eat all the fat people first

problem solved.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
When I see a 5' 2" woman in a grocery store that weighs more than two 6'0 tall marines, and she is pushing a grocery cart full of potato chips, nacho chips, cookies, and soda pop, and a fat kid or two following her around, you bet it upsets me.

There is a problem, but punishment will not work. Ignoring it won't help either. I hate this ideology that we have adopted where we punish people for every little thing we don't like. Even a dog learns better when rewarded for good behavior vs. being punished for bad behavior. Just ask the "Dog Whisperer."

Education is the answer. People relied on the public school system to teach their kids about nutrition and exercise for many decades. It was a bad thing to do, cuz the gov. failed, as usual. So the gov. needs to start re-educating parents and educating our kids properly in the schools so what is learned in the home is reinforced in the schools.

Poor eating habits are sometimes caused by stress, and therefore a psychosomatic illness. The gov. is the number one cause stress in people's lives. Stress is the silent killer that the gov. uses to kill people. Do you see? When the gov. starts respecting life by showing compassion and setting a good example, things will slowly turn around. Get rid of stress and 70% of illnesses vanish. Think of the impact that would have on health care costs and productivity!

People need to take responsibility for the quantity and quality of the food they put in their pie holes and stop allowing the gov. to kill them and their children with stress induced eating disorders and other psychosomatic illnesses..

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
ahhahahahhahahah hah ahah ahah ha hahhahahahahhahahahahahah ah ha hah

a hahahha hhahah

haha hah

HAH

this thread is hilarious. BAN FATTY HAHAHA

omg yo be careful.... (they may sit on you for this)

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Im half and half on this. Although I do see the point.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by reeko124Originally posted by RedCairo
If you know your daily caloric needs eat 500 less calories a day for a week and that is 3500 calories which equals 1lb of weight loss. Its that easy.

Edited for clarity

No, it is not that easy, it really really does depend upon the persons metabolism and genetics. I know from my own experience with weight gain, which I will post in another posting in a few minutes.

But, as a start, after my first pregnancy, I used a new type of birth control, the kind they put into your arm. After a year I had it removed because I had gained somewhere around 50lbs. Even with exercise, eating well and raising a child, I gained weight.

I truly feel that whatever was in that birth control changed my metabolism, and no matter what I have done since then, I have had a weight problem. I know many people who had the exact same experience as I did and still many years after having the birth control removed still fight with their weight.

My husband? Eats as much as he want's and eats whatever he wants, and is still skinny. I watch him eat, and I gain weight. It has been kind of a joke between us for years. He eats FAR more than I do, for example, sometimes we have lunch together at subway, he gets a foot long, I get a 6". He eats every bite of his, and then finishes mine to "help me out". I gain weight, he does not.

Personally I feel it is mostly about metabolism and genetics and gender, along with all the "nasties" that is added to our foods. Such as hormones, antibiotics, food colorings, preservatives and all the "crap" added to foods.

Don't get me wrong, I still like to sit down and watch a movie with a bag of popcorn with butter, but I definitely eat far less calories than my husband, far less than what is considered the norm for male female caloric intake, and I still gain weight, and he does not. No matter how many more calories he puts into his body using the suggested calorie intake for men, he does not gain weight. Even when I stay below the suggested calorie intake for women, I gain weight.

I know, from personal experience, that quite often, weight gain has nothing to do with how much you exercise, or watch your calories. I KNOW it has to do with genetics, and metabolism for MANY people. Yes, I know that some people are over weight because of food intake, but this is not the case with EVERYONE.

I think skinny people use it as a way to feel superior to people who are over weight. I say get over yourselves, and feel lucky that you have a good metabolism. Because a small twist in your life, could really change your metabolism, and then YOU will be overweight.

oops edit to add

Maybe I should sue the pharmaceutical company that created the type of birth control that changed my body system. Think I would get anywhere? NO

Peace

[edit on 26-2-2009 by amazed] for typos

[edit on 26-2-2009 by amazed]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Metabolism is not math, it is chemistry.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by amazed

There are many factors that dictate caloric needs.
The reality is pretty simple though.
If you burn more calories then you consume, you lose weight.
It's really that simple.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
My Wii Fit says I'm obese.

I guess it's time to call the adoption agency and get rid of my daughter.

WTH is obesity anyway? It's just a label that causes people to become more preoccupied with pointless things such as diet fads and weight loss drugs.

Or, if you prefer, it's a category which indicates increased risk of heart disease and diabetes.

But then again, LIFE causes increased risk of death.

I guess we could hit up everything unhealthy. Let's make concrete illegal - it's slightly radioactive. And electricity - It could cause electrocution. And all types of vehicles - any speed faster than a brisk jog could be dangerous.

Better yet, let's just isolate ourselves inside tiny caves where nothing can hurt us.

Child Protective Services is a slippery slope. If they are given the slightest vague definition, then you will see every child given to foster parents. If you can pinch a half-inch of "fat" on a baby's belly, then it's time for the internment camp.

Yay!!!! for fascism. And ignorance. And misguided, ill-founded prejudice.

This is exactly why the constitution has Elected officials - the general population comes up with idiotic ideas.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Speaking as an obese person, I would have to say that obesity is a serious problem, and yes, it is the parents fault (partially at least).

Ever since I was a child I was given food as a reward, and this has had me eating for a "buzz" rather than because I'm hungry. To be perfectly honest, I'm not quite sure what true hunger is.

I am doing something about it though. I'm on a very low calorie diet which contains all the vitamins and minerals I need, so I should be a normal size in 3 or 4 months, then I can weane myself onto conventional food again gradually. This is all mixed with group counselling, which is very beneficial.

I think systems like this should be funded by the NHS.. A much safer and better option than cutting 3 quarters of someones stomach away. You get slim quickly, plus you get to the root of your problem through psychotherapy so you know what to do about food cravings in the future.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
wow. you must be from Europe or England. Stop trying to put stupid ideas out there that obviously don't effect you. Just because people are obese doesn't mean they don't always eat healthy. There are plenty of genetic diseases, and even 'fit' people might have them but they could be a recessive trait. You should get your tubes tied for being an idiot, society doesn't need more of you running around.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
~kat~

I have read the book that you are writing about, and it is a very good book. Very informative, and challenges the preconceived notions people have, that exercise makes you skinny( it doesn;t) and that fat makes you fat( it doesn;t ) and that "carbohydrates are good for you" assumption (in fact, they are the leading causes of disease and obesity. Now if only these airheads would read it, they might undersatnd. I realize I'm asking for too much here and for people to actually use their brain for once.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by amazed

Originally posted by reeko124Originally posted by RedCairo
If you know your daily caloric needs eat 500 less calories a day for a week and that is 3500 calories which equals 1lb of weight loss. Its that easy.

Edited for clarity

No, it is not that easy, it really really does depend upon the persons metabolism and genetics. I know from my own experience with weight gain, which I will post in another posting in a few minutes.

Your metabolism is how many calories you burn in a day. It doesn't matter if your metabolism is high or low. I wish people would understand that.

I have a low metabolism comments are just an excuse.

I take in 2600 calories a day to maintain my weight. If I only ate 2100 calories a day I would lose a 1lb a week. Once you know your Basic Metabolic Rate(BMR) you can figure out how much your body needs. Its so easy to adjust if something isn't working because your metabolism is perceived to be low.

So again your metabolism is figured out before you create your caloric deficit. If you can't stay on the diet then sorry it isn't "low metabolisms" fault.

[edit on 26-2-2009 by reeko124]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
One of the interesting things to me is the sociology of this subject.

Everybody, but everybody, actually thinks they know what they are talking about. They've been indoctrinated their entire life with what "is" and they believe it. People who expound about calories have always in my experience been people who do not have metabolic issues... not a coincidence.

There is enough research at this point that the whole laughable calorie myth ought to go away, but much like religion, there is that problem as the saying goes that you "cannot reason someone out of a position that reason did not get them into, to begin with".

In obesity research, people can have gastric bypass surgery, and lose a ton of weight fast. If they were a certain size that losing ~150# makes them skinny, that's the end of it. But for many of them, that's where it stops: they lost a bunch of weight but they are still obese; in some cases even still morbidly obese. They are locked in a metabolic ward with every molecule of intake strictly controlled and they are eating 700 calories a day for an extended period and they are not losing any more weight. Normal people eating that would be skeletal. Not them.

In obesity research, some lab animals can be forced to lose weight until the point where their organs fail and they die. And opening them up in autopsy, what they find is that they are still immensely fat. Their bodies rather than use the fat as the energy which is what think the body should do, saved the fat, and ate the body itself. They were "emaciated obese" animals.

Using metabolic carts that measure the respiration of individuals to evaluate how much energy they are burning, it turns out that the numbers vary radically between people, to more degree than any kind of calorie myth could remain functional within. It also turns out that often, the fatter the person, the less calories burned from the same exercise, even if the exercise was much more difficult for them. Better yet, it also turns out that if that fat person loses weight so they now weigh the same as the person next to them, they STILL have a lower energy utilization output--as if they were still fat.

They've also found that how many calories people 'end up with' from eating the exact same food varies a great deal based on stomach bacteria -- some people could gradually be malnutritioned on the same input that would make others become gradually obese.

Same starting body size. Same food intake (though it may leave person X hungier than Y). Same exercise output (though it may be much more difficult for person X). Totally different results. This does not mean X is a lazy gluttonous cretin but Y is just fine.

It means biochemistry is such a radically COMPLEX issue that our best science only has a small fraction of a clue about a small fraction of the subject.

If merely reducing calories and exercise worked we would not have a 30B++ diet industry and a rapidly growing obesity and diabetes problem worldwide. The absolutely staggering arrogance and insult of the assumption that every person who is not thin is overeating because it's all about calories boggles my mind. Ignorance is bliss I suppose but it leads to endless amounts of people who've never had or known someone with a weight issue, sure they have the answer because they are just so damn superior.

If the world's leading endocrinologists and geneticists and other similar researchers do not yet have the answer, it's a good bet all the people on the street, reciting what they've been "told and educated about" every day of their life, don't have the answer either.

As for the OP, I equate that to the mentality of serious racism; this is not a case for other people dieting, but that person getting some therapy.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Yes, America is a big fat lady, and she's guilty of spawning some big fat babies.

She probably is partly to blame for her children's bad habits, though she claims to offer them good food as well as the bad stuff. "It's their choice", she says. She can only hope they do the right thing.

She wishes she could be more strict, with a lot of things, but then Daddy Freedom calls her a "control freak" as he strolls in with pizza, "Saw 1-3", and a six pack. Party time.

She supposes she shouldn't complain too much, because complaining usually results in changes. Sometimes divorce.
Enjoy your choices while you got 'em, kids.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by reeko124
Your metabolism is how many calories you burn in a day. It doesn't matter if your metabolism is high or low. I wish people would understand that.

I have a low metabolism comments are just an excuse.

I take in 2600 calories a day to maintain my weight. If I only ate 2100 calories a day I would lose a 1lb a week. Once you know your Basic Metabolic Rate(BMR) you can figure out how much your body needs. Its so easy to adjust if something isn't working because your metabolism is perceived to be low.

So again your metabolism is figured out before you create your caloric deficit. If you can't stay on the diet then sorry it isn't "low metabolisms" fault
[edit on 26-2-2009 by reeko124]

Never had to worry about your weight huh? Actually metabolism is converting food to energy.

Metabolism, involves far more than your simple explanation. Metabolism: Converting food into energy NOT how many calories you burn en.wikipedia.org...

Stated simply, metabolism is the process by which your body converts food into energy. During this complex biochemical process, calories — from carbohydrates, fats and proteins — are combined with oxygen to release the energy your body needs to function.

www.mayoclinic.com...

Slow metabolism: Is it to blame for weight gain?

Yes, there is such a thing as a slow metabolism

slow metabolism — which means they burn fewer calories at rest than they should according to estimates based on their height, weight, age and sex.

A slow metabolic rate can add weight that is extremely difficult to get rid of.

So, I have a question for you then skinny person who knows all about low calorie intake and exercising and how that is all that is required to be skinny.

Let's say we have a young woman who is 13 years old, 5'3" tall, wears size 10 jeans, eats only healthy foods that her family grows, hunts or raises as her family cannot afford "junk" foods. She also does not overeat as food is fairly regulated in her home other than when she pops out into the garden and digs some carrots, or eats some tomatoes, which are her allowed snacks. The girl also gets up every day before chores (she lives on a farm and has lots of chores) and runs 3-5 miles before heading home to do her chores, and then get ready for school. She does this basically every day over the next several years.

Is this young woman over weight? Is she skinny? Does she have a lot of muscles and a really great body? Careful with your answer here, because I am talking about myself. A long time ago for sure, but still myself.

To answer my own questions, after more than a year of running 3-5 miles every day, I was STILL over weight, had some muscle underneath it all, but still over weight. I continued to wear size 10 jeans, continued to eat healthy, still worked on the family farm. I was overweight, and continued having to deal with being called "chubby", being teased by other teens about being "fat", and I KNOW I exercised more than any of them did, I also KNOW that I had healthier food than many of them did, they could afford those soda pops and chips every day at lunch, I could not.

So, really if we go by your "calorie intake versus exercise", I should have been a really really skinny 14 year old after a year of running 3-5 miles every day. I should have a least lost a jean size or two don't ya think?

My sister? Who is three inches taller than I am. Has NEVER had a fat moment in her life, no matter how much or what she eats, and she NEVER exercises. So tell me, why was she so tiny skinny (size 0), and me so chubby (size 10). We ate the same types of foods. What was different? I hated her back then, because as I would get up to go run 3-5 miles, she would groan at me to turn the light off so she could go back to sleep.

Body shape, genetics, and metabolism, along with a body that likes to store fat in all the "right" places.

Get over yourselves naturally skinny people. You have no idea.

According to this thread, I should have been removed from my family home, abuse charges filed on my parents, and me put into foster care.

So, until you really understand being overweight, stop pretending like you do. Sorry for my intense irritation at people over this situation. I have spent my life fighting my weight and listening to skinny people try and tell me why I am overweight, while they stuff Cheetos in their mouths and I munch on a carrot.

Many times, their are circumstances, that skinny people just have no understanding of, for whatever reasons they choose. Just like my sister, who never exercises, who eats whatever she wants, when she wants, still likes to harass me about my weight as she eats on that bowl of ice cream she so loves and I sit and watch.

:bnghd::bnghd:

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join