It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Find The Gene That Can Grow TEETH

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   

A breakthrough by scientists could see dentures bite the dust.

Researchers have pinpointed the gene that governs the production of tooth enamel, raising the tantalising possibility of people one day growing extra teeth when needed.

At the very least, it could cut the need for painful fillings.

Fillings could become obsolete in the future

Experiments in mice have previously shown that the gene, a 'transcription factor' called Ctip2, is involved in the immune system and in the development of skin and nerves.

The latest research, from Oregon State University in the U.S., adds enamel production to the list.

The researchers made the link by studying mice genetically engineered to lack the gene.

The animals were born with rudimentary teeth which were ready to erupt but lacked a proper covering of enamel, the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences reports.

Researcher Dr Chrissa Kioussi said: 'It's not unusual for a gene to have multiple functions, but before this we didn't know what regulated the production of tooth enamel.

'This is the first transcription factor ever found to control the formation and maturation of ameloblasts, which are the cells that secrete enamel.'

The finding could be applied to human health and, if used in conjunction with fledgling stem cell technology, could one day allow people to grow replacement teeth when needed.

Alternatively, the knowledge could be used to strengthen existing enamel and repair damaged enamel, cutting decay and the need for fillings.

Dr Kioussi said: 'Enamel is one of the hardest coatings found in nature.

'A lot of work would still be needed to bring this to human applications, but it should work.

'It could be really cool, a whole new approach to dental health.'

Full Article Here

Wow this is a crazy breakthrough ... i wonder how long it will take for this to become available for humans? this will do wonders for older people and people who get cavities a lot ... wow haha that's about all i can think of for the possibilities this could bring .. thoughts?

[edit on 24-2-2009 by baseball101]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Wooohoo! Great find! I could use this. It will probably cost Fifty Grand compared to the Two Grand of dentures though.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

haha true ... there's no real price set yet ... maybe insurance will cover it?

[edit on 24-2-2009 by baseball101]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
What a great post! Facinating. I love the idea. However, I doubt it will ever come to fruition; I'm pretty certain the ADA would use their political power to squash it.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
i've come across sonic means of tooth regeneration two years ago and even mailed a dentist about it.

no reply to the point and i still can't see it becoming mainstream.

sports medicine will use it, much like magentic pulsers and ionic treatment - and people will remain silent about it. too much biz in fillings, it seems.

www.sciencedaily.com...

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Well, it would be just great for this to be fully developed... I hate dentists! I would pay anything for it!

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Yeah I don't see this becoming mainstream to busy giving kids fillings and crowns for thier baby teeth.

new topics

top topics

join