It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lawmaker Warns Of "Forced Servitude" Under Obama

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Itse is just being an alarmist. I'm sure Obama is not going to force people to perform community service. First of all he couldn't do it legally. Second of all he's neither a fool nor a tyrant.

If such a plan were implemented it would probably offer some sort of reward for service, like financial help in going to college or a small salary. I don't think there would be a punishment for not doing it.

Giving back to one's community cannot be forced, although I think it would do a world of good. It has to come from the heart. And unfortunately the hearts of too many people are completely selfish.

The government requires people to go to school until they are sixteen, and there's been no rebellion over that. Everyone can see the benefit in it. Doing a couple of extra years in service to the community before people go to college or begin their careers would have great benefits, too.

But it would never fly in this country.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Double post. Sorry.

[edit on 24-2-2009 by Sestias]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

You seem to have summed it up nicely.The rural areas are far more prepared for survival than they ever have been before. By useing state governments to voice our intentions,things could easily change without a shot being fired.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sestias
If such a plan were implemented it would probably offer some sort of reward for service, like financial help in going to college or a small salary. I don't think there would be a punishment for not doing it.

I like that newspeak spin.

You wont be punished for not doing it but if you do do it you can qualify for financial aid.

Sort of like signing up for selective service. If you dont sign you dont get financial aid.

For a lot of people this is like "we wont take your water away (to the man in the desert) if you dont sign up but if you dont sign up we wont give you any water either."

I guess technically you arent being punished.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join