It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Straw vetoes Iraq minutes release

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Straw vetoes Iraq minutes release

news.bbc.co.uk

Justice Secretary Jack Straw has vetoed the publication of minutes of key Cabinet meetings held in the run-up to the Iraq war in 2003.

He said he would use a clause in the Freedom of Information Act to block the release of details of meetings in which the war's legality was discussed.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Yet again the lousy government in this country has rushed to cover up the fact that it took this country into an illegal war, even though it was ordered to release these cabinet minutes by a tribunal in this country they have used a loophole to squirm their way out of it. it just goes to show what contempt they have for the people of this country and the legal institutions.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
If the war was legal there would be no problem.

This kind of stuff really gets to me, because they make it blatantly obvious that the government is completely corrupt and doesn't give a crap what anybody thinks...

yet the majority of people are too bloody stupid to care.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
people think they want all the information that's out there, but in reality, a very select few have the mental capabilities to grasp and comprehend all of the variables that go into any situation. There is a reason tehse records are being kept from the public, and it may not even have anything to do with THESE records. They are trying to set a precedent. People need to know that they can't just request to know what's talked about at any top secret, high authrity meeting, if they could handle that kind of information, they'd be in a position where they don't have to ask for it.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
this is the first time in enlgish parliament history this veto has been used,which is indicitive that something very large is being hidden.

the reason cited for denying the release of information..."it would damage democracy",in other words it would show what a sham the current power structure is that it isnt a democracy.

as early as 1997 there was a propaganda effort launched to promote the threat of iraq to justify a military assualt

The Secret Intelligence Service has run an operation to gain public support for sanctions and the use of military force in Iraq.
The British government Saturday confirmed that the spy agency MI6 had organised Operation Mass Appeal, a campaign to plant stories in the media about Saddam Hussein's weapons of mass destruction. The revelation will create embarrassing questions for Prime Minister Tony Blair in the run-up to the publication of the report by Lord Hutton into the circumstances surrounding the death of Dr. David Kelly, the government weapons expert.

A senior official admitted that MI6 had been at the heart of a campaign launched in the late 1990s to spread information about Saddam's development of nerve agents and other weapons, but denied that it had planted misinformation. "There were things about Saddam's regime and his weapons that the public needed to know," said the official. The admission followed claims by Scott Ritter, a former US marine who led 14 inspection missions in Iraq, who said that MI6 had recruited him in 1997 to help with the propaganda effort. He described meetings where the senior officer and at least two other MI6 staff had discussed ways to manipulate intelligence material.

www.aljazeerah.info... o%20gain%20public%20support%20for%20sanctions%20and%20war%20on%20Iraq.htm
cryptome.org...

add that to the activities on the other side of the atlantic....

MI6 Chief Told Blair That US 'Fixed' Case for Iraq War

www.commondreams.org...

and it looks like for sure the iraq war was preplanned for nigh on a decade,one gaint lie.

the only truth to be seen is that no one will be punished no matter what.

[edit on 24-2-2009 by welivefortheson]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
hold on a minute,in 1997 an effort was ordered to spread propaganda against iraq to justify a military invasion.....1997 is the same year tony blair came to power.
the only person who can allow mi6 to conduct such a propaganda campaign is the prime minister..tony blair.

tony blair was supposed to be the peacemaker trying to prevent the iraq invasion,trying to hold back the us.....but what it actually looks like is that he was in it from the beggining fueling it and was merely acting,pretending to tbe the peace maker in the us-uk double act,god cop bad cop.

interesting,as ive said all our wars are planned/designed for depopulation purposes.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by solidshot

I don't think its that... I think they're on a holding pattern on this sort of stuff until it can be investigated.

Remember, you'll never get the information requested if it is part of an ongoing investigation...

Give it a little time... if they maintain this after a few years, then i'd get mad...

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by nj2day

I don't think its that... I think they're on a holding pattern on this sort of stuff until it can be investigated.

Remember, you'll never get the information requested if it is part of an ongoing investigation...

Give it a little time... if they maintain this after a few years, then i'd get mad...

People have been trying to get these documents since the war started around 6 or so years ago and the government has blocked them every time, they have also blocked any attempt to get an investigation into the lead up to the war

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by whiterabbit85

The cabinet needs to have confidence that it can discuss matters freely and without recourse I agree, but so does the Attorney General and that didn’t stop the publication of his advice. If this were to mean we would get Cabinet minutes every second Sunday then that would be a problem but these are very, very exceptional circumstances where there is a clear public interest. Further more the decision to not publish the documents was taken by a member of the same cabinet; THAT is not acceptable. Had an independent, cross party or even non parliamentary committee came to this conclusion then fair enough but they didn’t.

As for no one outside of the cabinet being able to handle or digest this information, that’s clearly rubbish. The cabinet is made up of politicians who happen to have got themselves into that line of work; there are plenty of very intelligent and knowledgeable people out their capable of understanding the information put before them.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by nj2day

are you kidding me this is just a load of excuses that im so used to seeing from certain beings.....there is no investigation whatsover going on,because they wont allow it!

the reasons cited for the denial of the minutes is that it would be to harmful to democracy......to harmful to the current government!
if anything transparency is fundenmental to a democracy,if the democratic incumbents made a mistake the people should know,its part of democracy.

it is the denial of this information and any enquiry into the war which is the threat to democracy!

its so obvious the truth is the war was pre planned and that the nature of the threat of iraq was A LIE,the whole thing was faked and thats what they are hiding.

something big enough to bring down the whole government is being hidden,this laws never been used before in 350 hundred years of parliament....coincides with the record number of vetos used by the bush regime.....and people say everythings ok....no, pleasure is just more available than ever and people are lost in pleasure, availibility of pleasure does not eqaute to a better world.
people dopped up no E and whizz,shopping spreez,tv programs,video games,holidays in mexico, meaningless entertainment.....while the people play their leaders are free to do as they will as not enough people are paying attention.

pleasure is clearly being used to distract the masses,and they cant be woken up for they are all brainwashed and the media is all controlled.....it will take some big revelation to wake them up,the hidden minutes looks like they may wake a few up.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
The government needs to be reminded that they are accountable to us, the taxpayers, voters and citizens of this country.
The comments from Mr. Straw not only show a level of arrogance that should not be tolerated, but also imply wrongdoing and a real need for them to withhold all information from the public.

Well, I'm sorry Mr. Straw but we are all accountable to the many laws you and your party have saddled us with since you have been in power. If you are scared that disclosure will damage, or even bring down the government then there's gotta be some bad stuff going on. I for one, being an honest and hard working citizen, expected to pay for the mistakes of the criminals in power, WANT full disclosure and accountability.
If what he wishes to hide away is so bad then I want to know what it is and if necessary have those involved prosecuted, as I would be for any unlawful act.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by welivefortheson

Well if this was happening in the mid 90s, that just goes to show that no matter who became US Pres in 2000, we still would have had 911, Afganistan war, and the Iraq war. Gore or Bush winning would not have mattered because the plan was in place apparently, so the winner would just inherit the false flag op(911) that started it all.

Hmmm, makes me wonder what Obama inherited other than debt? lol

I remember hearing he was briefed by the CIA/NSA/FBI (not sure which one) 2 hours before his acceptence speech, and I remember thinking he seemed a little distracted or preoccupied by something when he spoke. He didn't seem to have the same fire in his words. Could have been fatigue or it could have been the crushing weight of being told how he will be expected to undermine the US constitution(and therefore its people) and internationl peace.

[edit on 24-2-2009 by FreeSpeaker]

new topics

top topics

join