It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secret Mountain Range Found

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Secret Mountain Range Found

www.thesun.co.uk

A MASSIVE underground mountain range – resembling the French Alps – has been discovered below the Antarctic.
Scientists discovered the mountains buried a staggering 4KM under the world’s largest ice sheet.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   
There's not much info and I know it is The Sun but quite amazing what you can find under your nose.

Also not mentioned in the article but on the picture it has a lable which says "future drilling in the Dome A region?" with something which looks similar to an oil rig. Found more oil to fight over have we?

As there isn't much info on The Sun website just found some more detailed info from when they were planning the expedition:

For more than 25 million years, the fifth biggest continent on the planet has remained locked under a massive ice sheet that has concealed its secrets through out the whole of human history.

Link

www.thesun.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 24-2-2009 by farther84]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by farther84

hahahaha

way to be current The Sun

they just happened to be wondering around bored and said hmmm lets test if theres any mountians under here....

they went specifically to map the mountains, and well they were discovered in the 50's by the russians

news.bbc.co.uk... bbc talking about the expedition 14 October 2008

www.abovetopsecret.com... ats thread about it

the map intereting ..but ill take the lake and stream of water with a pinch of salt until clariffication from a more reasonable source mentions unfrozen water

[edit on 24/2/09 by noobfun]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by farther84

im not really surprised, i mean did you really think the north and south pole were only made of ice?

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Swatman

no its well knwon theres a rock base, but mountain ranges usually form on the edge of continents this one i in the middle of a continenet why is why its a bit confusing

the telegraph link you dropped in as i was posted seems to confirm the liquid water trapped under the ice, perfect chance to test out the probes they are going to send to europa

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by noobfun
but ill take the lake and stream of water with a pinch of salt until clariffication from a more reasonable source mentions unfrozen water

Lake Vostok is a liquid lake recently discovered under the ice sheet of Antarctica.

Lake Vostok (Russian: восток, "east") is the largest of more than 140 subglacial lakes found under the surface of Antarctica. It is located beneath Russia's Vostok Station, 4,000 meters (13,000 ft) under the surface of the central Antarctic ice sheet. It is 250 km long by 50 km wide at its widest point, thus similar in size to Lake Ontario, and is divided into two deep basins by a ridge. The water over the ridge is about 200 m (650 ft) deep, compared to roughly 400 m (1,300 ft) deep in the northern basin and 800 m (2,600 ft) deep in the southern. Lake Vostok covers an area of 15,690 km² (6,058 mi²). It has an estimated volume of 5,400 km³ (1,300 cubic miles) and consists of fresh water. The average depth is 344 m. In May 2005 an island was found in the center of the lake.......

......The average water temperature is around −3 °C (27 °F); it remains liquid below the normal freezing point because of high pressure from the weight of the ice above it. Geothermal heat from the Earth's interior warms the bottom of the lake. The ice sheet itself insulates the lake from cold temperatures on the surface.

[edit on 24/2/2009 by Kryties]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   
The sea level has risen over time, so, I would think it's possible as if an old caldera and than a volcano. I wouldn't be surprised if it became active again. The story does remind me of the movie Alien VS Predator for some reason. Tabloids may get some things right, even by mistake. Our history books are likely filled with half truths and cover ups.

Didn't they make a movie and or documentary on this island already and supernatural events and deaths? I've also heard about biological contamination.

[edit on 24-2-2009 by aleon1018]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
what interesting is that there is no tectonic subduction zone beneath the antartic which are the cause of large mountain ranges.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties

Lake Vostok is a liquid lake recently discovered under the ice sheet of Antarctica.

Its not "recently discovered". From the wiki link you offered:

The existence of Lake Vostok was first noted in 1973 by scientists of the Scott Polar Research Institute

been known for a while...

The Sun is a tabloid... This is like getting your news from the National Enquirer.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by welivefortheson
what interesting is that there is no tectonic subduction zone beneath the antartic which are the cause of large mountain ranges.

This has puzzled scientists for years... and is worth quoting to drive the point home...

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

thanks Kryties yeah went to have a double check for info myself

that the lakes figured out

now how do you have rivers? that have no where to empty and no where to be refilled from .... wouldnt a long thin dip in the ground filled with water that isnt going anywhere be a long thin pool or pond

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by nj2day

You're just nitpicking

By recently I meant recently in terms of the evolution of the planet. There. All better now? Can we get back to the point?

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   

but ill take the lake and stream of water with a pinch of salt until clariffication from a more reasonable source mentions unfrozen water

Are there other kind of lakes? I mean, other than liquid?

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
"mountain ranges usually form on the edge of continents this one i in the middle of a continenet why is why its a bit confusing"

the Alps aren't on the edge of a continent. Nor are the Himalayas. Nor are the Rockies in the U.S, or the Andes in South America...

So, now I'm confused...

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Yes.

There are frozen lakes!

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by nicholaswa

the Alps aren't on the edge of a continent. Nor are the Himalayas. Nor are the Rockies in the U.S, or the Andes in South America...

So, now I'm confused...

my appologie should have said on the edge of tectonic plate or the result of volcanic activity

alps casued by the african plate pushing north and then glaciation finishing the job

rockies volcanic and i beleieve also plate uplifting and glaciation

himalayas tectonic plate action(india slamming into eurasia)

andes .... they are at right on the edge of the plate

all te ones you have listed are near the edges of plates, the furthest bieng the rockies who have several factors leading to them

with plate tectonics creating uplift or volcanism bieng the main cause of mountain formation, mountain in the middle of the antartic which isnt volcanic as far records go and hasnt been near the edge of a plate for a long time, long enough the mountain would have mosty eroded before they got iced over

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by noobfun

The Theory Plate tectonics is nothing but a theory.... A THEORY!

hehehe

sorry noob, since we are normally arguing against comments like that... I couldn't resist...

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   

hahahaha

way to be current The Sun

they just happened to be wondering around bored and said hmmm lets test if theres any mountians under here....

they went specifically to map the mountains, and well they were discovered in the 50's by the russians

... Did they wait for the copyright on the old news articles to expire or something?

We already knew about the sub-ice mountains. You can find very detailed maps showing them from many different sources.

Oh, got another bit of breaking news here...
The cold war ended without a nuclear holocaust!

That's about the same delay.

The Theory Plate tectonics is nothing but a theory.... A THEORY!

That's right! It's written right here in this bible that god made the earth the way it is!
lol.
And those dinosaur fossils you have in your hand DON'T EXIST!

[edit on 24-2-2009 by johnsky]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   

reply to post by nj2day

You're just nitpicking

By recently I meant recently in terms of the evolution of the planet. There. All better now? Can we get back to the point?

Not nitpicking lol... Just drives me nuts when people forget the past accomplishments of great minds...

You'd be suprised how many scientists have been forgotten because their ideas or discoveries happened sooner than other scientists knew what they meant, or what to do with em. Then later, a different scientist "discovers" what someone has already discovered, and the first guy is forgotten.

Thats another thread though

Just wanted to set the story straight.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join