It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook and Bebo risk 'infantilising' the human mind

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by jdub297
reply to post by Glencairn

To me the difference is being able to exercise self-control and to have a grasp of reality. Perhaps even a stake in society, such as a family to feed, job to perform, home to repair.

A little groundedness (is that a word?) goes a long way toward being able to successfully navigate among any new tech that comes along and manage it to your own benewfit, as opposed to using it as a refuge or escape.

No, I haven't been in school for quite a while now.

I definitely agree with you that being able to exercise self control and having a grasp on reality make a lot of difference. Children, in general, usually don't have the self control that an adult has so they could be more likely to experience the effects that the article mentioned.

Having a stake in society in the ways that you mentioned also help to teach self control and a grounding in reality. They should, at any rate. On the other hand, having someplace like facebook or a bit of x-box time to escape into can be healthy to decompress from the stress of offline life. A little bit of escape is good. I guess it is just a matter of moderation and, as you mention, having the self control to balance the benefit as opposed to using it as a refuge long term.

Take care,
Cindi

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Starred your post, as I thought it was a very refreshing and down-to-earth explanation of the advantages of Facebook. I have a good friend who's borderline hooked, and invariably when I drop over a couple of facebook windows are open on his laptop, but so far he uses it much the way you do, though the itch seems to be to displace face-to-face socializing with virtual, but this is nothing new either--that was said of the telephone, back in the stone age!

Really, like so many of these "social ills" blamed on technological advances, it is morally neutral; in the end whether it is beneficial or detrimental is up to the user.

So a report like this definitely comes with an agenda, and is fundamentally dishonest; in essence they are transferring human problems to the technology and blaming it, instead of looking at what it is that drives the user to abuse it in the first place.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by gottago

I appreciate the discussion on it!

My wife had an interesting experience with it.... she is an introvert and I am an extrovert. She is very very private, and I am very very open.

She got on facebook first, because of her friends... then I got on it after I saw what fun she was having... but then her friends started posting pictures of her and them... you know on vacation etc...

That really bothered her, because she is so private... she's gotten used to it more now and she doesn't feel as self conscious about her photos as she used to. She isn't on facebook everyday like I am now, but she uses it to keep up with he friends, because she is such a home body.

I guess what I'm saying, is that I also see your point on the privacy tip.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   

I got onto facebook for the same reason as your wife. I was badgered a bit by my friends and it has made it easier to keep up with them. Being a stay at home mom and living out in the middle of absolutely nowhere and far away from my friends and most of my family, it is my connection to the outside world. If I didn't have access to places like facebook and ATS I would be almost completely shut off from outside conversation. I'm just not a phone person and letters don't offer the same degree of intimacy that chatting with my mom friends online offers.

I spend so much time alone or with only my 8 year old for conversation that I need that line to my friends to help keep my sanity!

Take care,
Cindi

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Funny you say that, your wife's reaction is also that of the friend I mentioned earlier--photos popping up he didn't want there. If you keep it light and don't upload your whole life, then it doubtless can be a great tool, and perhaps it is just a step toward a future where we'll see a more personalized net made up of smaller, semi-independant social networks that don't rely on a single portal.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by gottago

It does put you in the public eye like a celebrity would be.

That's why I say.. it keeps you honest :-)

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by gottago

it doubtless can be a great tool ... .

Precisely! All tech is only a tool. When it takes precedence, there's a problem.

I think that's the point of the author's concerns.

jw

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join