It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists May Have Explanation For UFO Sightings

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
The sprite theory is as old as the swamp gas and Venus and flock of birds explanations are....old..worn out...and severely incorrect.

Time to change that record..the needle is stuck. (for over 40 years now)

Cheers!!!!!

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Any attempt at a blanket explanation for a variety of phenomena is decidely "unscientific"...

While it's nice to have other mundane phenomena to use as a check against an individual sighting, it should certainly come as no surprise that no one explanation can account for all sightnings.

Most sightings are misidentifications or ordinary things...and I think most UFOlogists agree on that point. However, it doesn't mean that there aren't some cases that simply defy ordinary explanations.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   

* However, I'm starting to think you're just here to stir # up by insulting peoples intelligence and throwing out what you think are witty remarks now and then.

[edit]

Thank you kindly for making a succinct comment that is well spoken & profoundly well overdue.

[To avoid potential rise in blood pressure, there is always "The BUTTON"]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Sprites are just a POSSIBLE explanation for a SMALL part of the UFO phenomena:
in general, Luminous Transient Phenomena in the Atmosphere (LTPA) ARE actually mistaken for UFOs, but this is very far from having found the Rosetta Stone of all the UFOs sightings just because a scientist shares what he knows about sprites (which ones, btw?): is simply as laughable as to claim that something in a video is an alien spacecraft because nothing else comes to mind: the rest of the gallery can't even be taken seriously, they could at least have put some efforts more and show to the people how a blimp may look strange, how an airplane does, with some serious example of some blimp actually mistaken for an ufo, i mean like the one of Salt Lake City, for example: the gallery is, honestly, good for a laugh, and i believe that every ATSer would be able to do much better. Sprites are a REAL explanation to a very narrow part of the phenomena in question: are, for example, Long lived plasmas, Unconventional plasmas mentioned in the article? How about St. Elmo's fires? And Earth lights? And Transient Luminous Events (to NOT be mistaken with Transient Lunar Phenomena)? I would also know his take about stuff like seismic precursors, Sonoluminescence, Speleolights, Ignes fatui etc....

Sprites,

Red Sprites,

Blue jets,

Giant jets,

Elves,

Ball Lightnings,

Atmospheric electricity,

Earth lights,

Earthquake lights,

Hessdalen Phenomena (animation)

Ignes fatui, (artist rendition)

Plasma,

Mountain peaks luminosity,

Noctilucent clouds,

St. Elmo's fires,

Transient Lunar Phenomena,

MANY of these phenomena themselves has yet to be explained and need BADLY to be studied: some of them are still classified as "legends" despite there are tons of witnesses (and evidences) about them, not to mention that many of them can and have been mistaken as UFOs:

perhaps it would be a great idea to start studing ALL the LTPA and to provide an explanation to them, before than trying to explain a phenomenon which has so many different ways to show itself in such a way: yes, a possible explanation to UFOs: to the 0,003 of them

win.ciph-soso.net...

[edit on 24/2/2009 by internos]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join