It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greifswald Incident Solved?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Greifswald was always one of the most interesting sightings for me, because it has witnessed and filmed by many people.
To remember:

www.youtube.com... (filmed by russian habitants in greifswald, hour: 20:53)
www.youtube.com...
some of the videos taken: it seems some of them shot earlier, becuase it is not dark. It means these lights were there a long time....
www.youtube.com...

Now the common explanation is that these are fires from military exercises, called Tannenbaum (sorry, link is German)
www.gwup.org...

And this is from Mufon Report, and it concludes what I am also thinking: www.mufon-ces.org...

"The characteristics of the phenomena make it impossible to explain the appearance by military maneuvers. If the smaller objects were ammunition flying to the bright objects acting as a target, then the smaller objects would have exploded inside this group or flown through it. No one can explain, how one can stop a body in the air to zero speed without losing height. Until today nobody has come forward and claimed being the creator of these phenomena. Although different possibilities were considered, not one of them could account for all the different details reported, and nobody has been able to reproduce light formations like those observed near Greifswald."

So much from me, if you have any more information please share.

[edit on 24-2-2009 by deccal]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Is this event so out-dated or boring or is it solved? I could not find in the Search button any old thread about this at least for me spectacular event.
Are these really military flares? Or how can we explain this phenomenon?
No answer?

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Tannenbaum

Isn't that German for "Christmas Tree"?
I'll have to look at the vids later, can't at work...but the incident doesn't ring any bells.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by deccal

Good post Deccal, very interesting and there does seem to be a lot more information to put it firmly in the head scratching box.

The lights are called the Geifswald Lights only because the media like to tag something before they discuss it. It's just marketing I guess. The lights were seen by multiple witnesses on the night of August 24th 1990. Reports were taken from people in the surrounding towns also.

It appears to have been the latter part of a UFO flap that covered that region of Germany in the preceding weeks. In the Rostock area the newspaper Norddeutsche Neueste Nachrichten (NNN) had reported a similar flurry of reports of a UFO apparently circling the area on consecutive nights. Two weeks earlier students and a man going for food had also reported a bright light that circled before vanishing. From one bright shining yellow/red light to small groups of lights always seeming to circle and vanish.

A woman described how in June...

After midnight I woke up and looked out the window, when suddenly a huge yellow ball of light very quickly on our house hinwegzog (Google babel!). The ball was relatively large. noises were not heard. The light brightened the whole room. A Northern Lights, it was not the case. Such a natural phenomenon I have seen. "
Translated German Mufon page

By all accounts it seems that the incident was explained in the same way they sometimes use elsewhere. Flares were the official explanation, the Airforce were said to be dropping flares as part of an exercise. I don't know much about the Stephenville Lights but I recognize the explanation. My German is poor but I think some of the comments on the Youtube video you post mention lanterns too.

Multiple witnesses, spread across miles of Germany and even out to the Baltic Sea, reported seeing them. As you point out, the video begins in the evening and the lights are still there after dark. Flares burn out long before Chinese lanterns and lanterns don't last for hours and aren't visible tens of miles away.

Another clip from Greifswald in East Germany in 1990, recorded by cameraman Valery Vinagradov. Valery states that he was not the only one to witness and document this event and claims that "hundreds of witnesses saw this anomalous event and many photographs were taken during also."

He described the objects as being "glowing balls which hung in a strange formation in the sky. The spheres that made up the formation all appeared to rotate and hover, but in a stable and controlled type of fashion." He also stated that "They all acted together with no sudden movements." Later during the sighting, another sphere appeared and travels toward the group only to disappear as it reaches the cluster.

It is for this reason that Valery does not believe that these things were flares of any type. Seven photos of the objects were shot, among them one from Usedom Island, 20 kms away, by Rainer-Michael Ladwig from Berlin.

There is no question that all the videos show the same objects, therefore a fake is highly unlikely. A computer analysis of the videos and photos yielded the location and height of the objects. They were maneuvering at an altitude of about 6000 metres (below the clouds), and could be seen from up to 125 kms away.
Source with video and photos

A common feature of the location of these sightings was the now defunct nuclear reactor at Greifswald...

If any members can translate the German page linked please post more details. Google translator went on strike a third of the way through the page

[edit on 24-2-2009 by Kandinsky]

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Hell yeah good post,

Don't let all the muppets fool you take a look and tell me that # is natural. Tired of people trying to explain stuff that is obviously well weird.

This my friend is what aircraft from another planet look like

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky

If any members can translate the German page linked please post more details. Google translator went on strike a third of the way through the page

Sorry I had no time, and will not have time 1 or 2 more days, but I can speak german and will try to translate the important parts of the text.
Thanks for the interest.

join