It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man shatters DoD illusion of Gitmo rosiness

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Man shatters DoD illusion of Gitmo rosiness

www.presstv.ir

A confidential Defense Department review recently claimed that "torture" has no place in the Cuba-based military prison as Guantanamo detainees are treated "humanely and in accordance with the Geneva Conventions ".

Binyam Mohamed ---who was arrested in Pakistan in 2002 on suspicion of plotting a string of bomb blast in the US and spent more than five years in the controversial detention center ---, however, begs to differ.

"I have been through an experience that I never thought to encounter in my darkest nightmares. Before this ordeal, 'torture' was an abstract word to me, I could never have imagined that I would be its victim," said the Ethiopian-born British citizen.

Mohamed said he was surreptitiously "tortured in medieval ways", all orchestrated by the United States Government, Press TV reported
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Medieval Ways - this seems to be the trademark of the US Governement nowadays. At the same time, a rosy picture is being presented by the DoD and it's subservient corporate media lapdogs. The voter should not bother with the regime's atrocities. Can this full-blown propaganda regime still be called a democracy ?

www.presstv.ir
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Without making any claims as to the story itself, I can assure you that PressTV (Iran) hates the U.S.A. and would never try to use it as a credible source for anything.

I get the direct satellite feed, and can't even watch it anymore because they frequently report hearsay as truth. It's little more than an anti U.S. propaganda machine.

I suggest adding a couple more verified sources to back it up.

Again, I haven't done much investigating into the Gitmo thing, only because I haven't gone down that road yet, but I'm quite familiar with PressTV.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:43 AM
link   
You're right.. they hate our freedom..

lol

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Here's more info on Binyam Mohamed's story from the more credible BBC:

BBC Source

7 years incarcerated with no trial, then declared no risk and set free with no compensation, no apology, nothing.

Britain should conduct an independant investigation into this, and other detainees, especially in light of MI5's involvement.

We all know that won't happen though and it'll be brushed under the carpet.

Edit to add:

Here's another 'more credible' (not in my eyes!) source confirming the Defence Department's claims that G'tmo operates within the rules of the Geneva Convention.

CNN Source

[edit on 24-2-2009 by Nammu]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by lernmore

This was one of our main headlines on the news in the UK. This man was completely innocent and I had done a link on his release earlier because I cant wait to hear what he has to say.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

This behaviour is home grown too.
www.informationclearinghouse.info...

[edit on 24-2-2009 by sueloujo]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 04:05 AM
link   
is this the guy that said that they stripped him while handcuffed to the ceiling and used a scalpel to slice up his genitals over 200 times while asking him over and over questions which he kept answering.. they wouldn't stop until he answered with untrue answers.. answers they wanted?

that guy?

-

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Binyam Mohamed's allegations — including that he was beaten repeatedly and his genitals were sliced by a scalpel — have sparked lawsuits that could ensnare the U.S. and British governments in protracted court battles.

seattletimes.nwsource.com...

"Before this ordeal torture was an abstract word to me ... It is still difficult for me to believe that I was abducted, hauled from one country to the next and tortured in medieval ways all orchestrated by the United States government." He said he would not make any media appearances until he had recovered from his ordeal.

news.yahoo.com...

Always cross reference your sources, Yes presstv has a spin but IMO is way better than CNN (Censored News Network) and other MSM

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 04:48 AM
link   
I certainly agree, that if it's a valid story, it should be told. I just have a problem with PressTV at one end of the spectrum and most of the other MSM at the other.

Just as I don't have any problems whatsoever with the people of Iran, or other countries,, they probably don't feel a hatred toward the normal citizens of this country (USA) either. It's the out of control ideologies of our governments that want to play rulers of everything they can get their greedy hands on, and most people get suckered into believing what the corporately sponsored media tells us.

Anytime an innocent person loses seven years of their life, I don't think anyone can help but lose a little faith in humanity as a whole.

I didn't see much in the way of details about his captivity, but in his shoes, this had to be a terrible realization if it's true.

He said in the statement: "I have met with British intelligence in Pakistan. I had been open with them. Yet the very people who I had hoped would come to my rescue, I later realized, had allied themselves with my abusers."

Anyway, I did read the story and didn't mean to sound insensitive about the OP itself.

Peace

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Here is another source:

Binyam's hell over: no charges laid after six years in jail - Sydney Morning Herald

The Ethiopian-born former British resident claimed he was the victim of a dark nightmare of "medieval torture" wreaked on him with British collusion.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Disgusting isn't it? How can the western democracies have stooped to such low standards?

They simply abduct people and ship them off to camps and torture them in barbaric ways. Most of these people weren't even taken off the battle field. They were simply took of the streets. This man was a British citizen simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. It's bloody disgusting in my opinion.

The western secret services were paying the host countries to hand over terrorists. So corrupt elements within countries like Pakistan were simply picking up any Tom, Dick or Harry and falsifying terrorist allegations, and then handing them over to their terrible fate.

Did you see the charges that were directed at him? A conspiracy to detonate a "Dirty bomb" in the United states of America. What a complete pile of pap, an absolutely laughable accusation .

I'm glad he's home and I hope this behaviour stops because it's not humane or correct.

[edit on 24-2-2009 by paul76]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

join