It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. to pledge $900 million for Gaza rebuild

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:16 AM
link   

U.S. to pledge $900 million for Gaza rebuild

www.msnbc.msn.com

JERUSALEM - The United States plans to pledge more than $900 million to help rebuild Gaza after Israel's invasion and strengthen the Western-backed Palestinian Authority, a U.S. official said on Monday.

The money will be channeled through U.N. and other bodies and will not be distributed via the militant group Hamas, which rules Gaza, said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity as U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton plans to make the announcement next week at a Gaza donors conference in Egypt.

Clinton is set to visit Israel and the West Bank next week after attending a conference in Cairo on Gaza reconstruction, Israeli and Palestinian officials said Monday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
breaking political news

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Here we go again...

Now it seems it's time to help out the Western-backed Palestinian Authority. It wasn't even our conflict, at least overtly. It seems that now the US is up to it's old, tired tricks of throwing money around to solve the huge problems over there.

A whopping $900million dollars!?!?!?

Just where in the heck is that stashed?? Will someone please tell me why there is still a "foreign aid" budget in the midst of this economy??

Will the madness ever stop?

www.msnbc.msn.com

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Let's all remember the 300 million building over there in Iraq.
Which'll probably be blown up sooner then later.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:52 AM
link   
It's nothing but window dressing. Israel will not allow rebuilding as they want the Palestinians out.

They have just started seizing more land in the West Bank too for Jewish only settlements which will require another 80 or so demolitions of Palestinian homes.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Wtf wtf wtf?
Why give them 900 million?
Why not spend it on schools or health care?
Something is seriously wrong with the people in Washington.
Let Israel pay for the stuff they darn well wrecked!

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by wolf241e
A whopping $900million dollars!?!?!?

Just where in the heck is that stashed?? Will someone please tell me why there is still a "foreign aid" budget in the midst of this economy??

If the US government is handing out hundreds of BILLIONS to the corporate elite as bailout programs, a bit less than $1 billion shouldn't be too hard to round up. Despite that, I still don't really understand why the US would do this.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 04:11 AM
link   
I think this is about America throwing money around to try and 'buy' a relationship with the ostensibly Muslim area. Not so much for the people of Gaza themselves, but rather the international Muslim community looking on.

The new administration is about 'new' approaches to international diplomacy and this is possibly a manifestation of it. America doesn't have that many options in this regard. Their previously aggressive foreign policies have made them increasingly unpopular, so it's either 'buy relationships' or pursue some form of 'isolationism' and dramatically decrease their presence on the world stage.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 04:14 AM
link   
already here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

-

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by BorgHoffen
Wtf wtf wtf?
Why give them 900 million?
Why not spend it on schools or health care?
Something is seriously wrong with the people in Washington.
Let Israel pay for the stuff they darn well wrecked!

Actually, how about we let Hezbollah pay for the damage THEY brought upon themselves by buying rockets and firing them into Israel.

Now instead of rockets they can finally invest in infrastructure like they should have been doing all alone.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by sos37
how about we let Hezbollah pay for the damage THEY brought upon themselves by buying rockets and firing them into Israel.

I agree. Make them clean up their own mess. The one that they created through their own activities. Make them spend the money on their own infrastructure. That way they won't have as much to spend on their terrorist activities. It will do them all a world of good.

To giving them anything. We need the $$ here.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by sos37

I think, if you bother to do a little research, you'll find that Israel bombed a lot of the Lebanese infrastructure and businesses, not just Hezbollah targets. Hezbollah is a political and social organisation as well as being a defence militia. Yes, they have fired rockets into Israel but in retaliation to Israeli attacks and incursions.
With a neighbour like Israel coveting their land, and especially their fresh water supply, it's hardly surprising they buy weapons to defend their land.

Israels goal is to take what they can and have nobody to stand against them. Those that do are branded terrorist organisations. Ironic coming from a state that was built on terrorism and continues to use terrorism as a means to move people off land they want. The victim card got a little tired and worn out a long time ago and there seems to be an increasing shift in peoples anger at Israeli actions and non-compliance with UN resolutions.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 07:01 AM
link   
...While were at it...

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Foppezao
...While were at it...

You are right. It is pretty sad to say but, $900 million doesn't seem like much anymore. Everyone is so focused on the trillion dollar disaster here in the US that no one will notice this chunk of change.

This money will get distributed through the UN so that none if it will go to Hamas. Right!!!

We need to keep the Monopoly money here.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 07:47 AM
link   
What a waste. That money could have funded more important things.

I just don't trust the judgement of anyone in Washington...hell, I don't even trust my City Council now.

new topics

top topics

join