It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The End of Daves

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Today I achieved nickname status at work as I've become the bearer of bad news... when before, the only news I would talk about was sports related.

The End of Daves. (end of days)

I actually thought it was funny....but not.

Each day i share all the information that i have learned from the day prior and also let everyone know how stocks are doing during the day. (I can keep tabs on my phone)

Everyone repeatedly tells me sarcastically, "Thanks for making my day."

I don't like to bum anyone out, but I just want everyone to know what is happening as I know most of them don't pay much attention.

They don't know about the 100,000 people protesting in Ireland, HC visiting China to convince them to buy more of our treasuries so we can finance our out of control spending, that our stocks are the lowest since Clinton was still President, what our real debt is, that the fed is printing money like mad, etc.

I often tell them of videos to watch on the net or direct them to news that are not getting attention on television.

My efforts have been working. People I work with are really starting to pay attention now to more of what is happening...especially as our work orders dwindle. For the most part, they are disgusted with what is happening. Unfortunately most of them only get their info from television which we all know never really gives the whole picture.

My question is..

Have any of you been getting the info out? Have you been letting people know how bad the problems are?

How are you dealing with these things in the workplace? Are people getting worked up about it? Arguments ablaze?

What are the general feelings of people you know? How worried are they?

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Yes, i pass the word and people pass me off as a kook.

Obama is working on fixing all the words problems, they say.

Now shut up, dgtempe, and stop talking crap.

To which i say, " I feel sorry for you and your narrow mind " as they roll their eyes.

Its pure denial. People dont like to be told things will be uncomfortable

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

Obama is working on fixing all the words problems, they say.

I really don't get that with anyone I work with as most of them aren't really into politics and didn't vote..except for my boss.

He voted for Obama and he's quite upset about the money that has been spent.

I don't think this is political..it is...but it isn't. I find it better not to bring up his name when I talk about these things because it can cloud judgment.

I try to stay away as much as possible from the politics and just give facts.

The one thing that I have found most effective?

I actually spelled out what our debt really is (including SS and medicare)..the numbers vary on this..i've seen as high as 92 trillion.

At the time i used 53 trillion.

I wrote down on a piece of paper..53,000,000,000,000.
Then I wrote down this under it...6,600,000,000.

Then I asked them what these numbers were...no one knew.

I told them the top was our total debt, and the bottom was PEOPLE IN THE WORLD.

That woke up a few of them.

You may want to try that.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
meh, I try. Most people are too busy worrying about whose going to be voted off of American Idol or which girl the Bachelor is going to pick. Whatever. I know whats going on.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

I used to get that what the #$%* are you on look but recently I have some respect and get questions as to whats really going on. Awareness, I don't know but defenitly interesting and almost amusing.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I often pop into offices (my work environment) and spread gleeful commentary on our nature to endure the shenanigans of mind-overlords. I use comedy mainly to engage them, and then drop a golden nugget of truth at their feet.

Amazingly some of them are also beginning to catch on.

Some however, are deeply entrenched in ignorance, and respond with hostility or derision, should you trample on what they mistakenly believe is reality.

Let's not mar their perfect American dream by waking them from their media-induced slumber

I won't hesitate to add those most likely to fight reality are those in the $200K or above tax-bracket. ... it just won't do ...

(admission: that is a generalization ... )

[edit on 23-2-2009 by Maxmars]

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Yep, you been nicked.

They used to call me Dr. Doom.

Don't worry, if you warn people they will be uneasy.

But it's the right thing to do, just don't let it keep you up at night.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   
i'm low paid scum and we all know it's coming, we all know it's going to be bad and we all know it's probably the best thing that could happen as far as we're concerned. Ha survival, it's day to day for most the world -we'll cope just like we always do.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I use comedy mainly to engage them, and then drop a golden nugget of truth at their feet.

I often do this as well...but it's more like..."Hey, I got some good news!!!"

Then I tell them and i just get a nod and then a few choice curse words for the government in general.

There is absolute distrust and hate for many of the people I know and work with.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   
At the higher end of the ladder, I am seeing many, many talk of a "Plan B."

Very little eye-rolling at all.

Think about that...

Then take a drink.

Cheers.

[edit on 23-2-2009 by loam]

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Why in the hell do you want to warn people. When the SHTF you or I won't be needing any more competetion for resources than nessassary.

Letem live in blissfull ignorance while we ATS people can revel in paranoid
anxiety, waiting for the other shoe to drop.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Well you can relate to that old saying...Dont shoot the messenger!

Now that we have lost 10 years on the stock market, and banks are failing every day, and unemployemnt is high, and many people are losing thier homes, and the first bailout did not have any postive effect....etc

Surely soon they will be coming to you asking for advice.

I have found that low key is most effective, mixed with light hearted sarcasm.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
At my job, at first no one wanted to talk, or didn't seem to understand what was going on. Now, some don't seem worried at all, which tells me they are probably clueless, some make a comment or two, but basically remain very quiet while staring at the market report, and the third group are getting physically ill or exhibiting strange behavior.

To the one who has been getting physically ill, I mentioned that I am stockpiling food and silver just in case the market hits in, oh the 3,000 range, the dollar is worthless, riots have broken out everywhere, and roving packs of armed thugs are hijacking grocery trucks. I don't know if I did the right thing. She looked sicker. I hope she went out and bought some extra food after work.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Ive been trying to warn people, but mostly I get blank stares. My one good friend is still investing in the stock market, I told him he was crazy and to invest in gold and he said I didnt know what I was talking about.
I also told someone that with all these bailouts were going to get crazy hyperinflation and he said inflation was good and will help us get out of this.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Lookingup

To the one who has been getting physically ill, I mentioned that I am stockpiling food and silver just in case the market hits in, oh the 3,000 range, the dollar is worthless, riots have broken out everywhere, and roving packs of armed thugs are hijacking grocery trucks. I don't know if I did the right thing. She looked sicker. I hope she went out and bought some extra food after work.

I haven't seen anyone get that worked up. Are you working somewhere that trades stock? It seems so by your post.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Lookingup

If I may be so bold; please reassure her that there are many of us who ARE not evil selfish bastards who will allow our neighbors to starve if we can help. There is a element of survival that hardly gets mentioned. It goes beyond hording food and goods. It's about the power of community.

Our nation has been artificially isolated, and those most affected are most likely going to be getting sick, harboring nightmarish fantasies about 'going it alone - every man for himself - etc. This is reinforced by the continuous barrage of media, people don't turn off their TV's anymore... they blather on and on, constantly filling one's head with it's black noise. The only time we get to really think introspectively is when work forces us to isolate ourselves from it. It kind of makes a person alone all the time. Don't let your co-worker fret endlessly. It's not good for your health. Remind her that we are all in this together, if only because we will be experiencing it together.

People ARE waking up (too damn slowly, if you ask me). The real survivors will be the communities. Groups of families and friends who look out for and after each other because it's the right thing to do. Because they care. It won't be neat and clean, and certainly not pretty. But with friends, anything is possible (I learned that from Hollywood!)

I could go on and on, but I'm probably trespassing in a personal matter. I apologize sincerely if that was rude of me.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Hell no, I don't! There's an old saying: "the squeaky wheel is the first one greased." I am a sarcastic, caustic, irreverant, completely un-pc individual outside of work... My wife has on more than one occassion called me a miserable SOB. Inside that office, however, I am Mr Sunshine and Farts. I have a never ending "can-do" attitude, helpfull and always offering a morale boost to anybody even slightly stressed out. I make work easier for people and, as a result (along with a high level of productivity and a real enjoyment of my carreer), I've gone up, up, up and don't feel the need to sit around fretting over my job.

Make work unpleasant for the wrong person, End of Daves, and you'll find yourself being the first out the door when those work orders get so sparse that layoffs are called for. Just a friendly bit of advice I'm sure you'll completely poo-poo.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Make work unpleasant for the wrong person, End of Daves, and you'll find yourself being the first out the door when those work orders get so sparse that layoffs are called for.

I get along well with everyone I work with for the most part, including my boss and the owner. I don't go to work depressed trying to make everyone else feel like crap. I'm generally in a good mood.

I just tell them bits and pieces and say."the government needs to get their crap together."

I don't go around saying, "WE"RE ALL GONNA DIE!!"

new topics

top topics

join