It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Distracting Ads

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I'm curious as to why a site such as this that likes to tell its members not to talk about marijuana (EVEN WHEN there is legislation to decriminalize it and is without a doubt breaking "alternative" news) because it reduces the quality of the site contribution, would allow advertisements of 19 year old girls performing strip-teases... Complete with sound?

Am I the only one that sees this irony?

The adverts including annoying sounds is becoming bothersome. The first time I heard it I thought something was wrong with my computer because the damned thing sounded like a time-bomb. Now I'm hearing stripper-pole-music coordinated with adverts of prostitutes.
Yeah, I'm sure THAT will bring the PhD quality material Skeptic Overlord spoke about in his recent one-post-thread.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Right now I see ads for a jewelry auction and a "real" psychic...
The ads could be more relevant, but everyone needs money...

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I guess I AM the only one that sees the irony.
Oh well.

I'm just saying, if the site wants to claim to be "respectable", they shouldn't use adverts of women doing pole-dances claiming to be "ONLY 19 YEARS OLD!!!"...

I actually thought skeptic overlords soap-box stand was worthy of admiration until I saw that ad.
Then I laughed.

[edit on 23-2-2009 by Jay-in-AR]

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Jay-in-AR

I saw/heard that one too. Without the sound, I probably wouldn't have noticed, but when I did, I thought it was a bit too "adult" for my taste.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Just before I signed in I was looking at an ad for Naturomax

"Shock girls"

I was thinking of sending away for some..purely as a scientific study you understand.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Alora

Yeah, moral high-ground indeed, eh?

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Wow, out of the, I think, three topics I've posted to the business boards, this is the only one that wasn't met with a barrage of quick moderator replies and a subsequent closing of the thread. I must have struck a nerve.

Sorry guys, I'm just saying... How can you claim moral authority and the desire to attract quality contribution with ads like those?
Please?

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Yep, extremely annoying, at least they could consider taking out ones with sound...

Here is the URL of the offending add:

OFFENDER

I wonder how much money one gets by displaying them on websites, is it really worth it ?

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   
The question is: How can this ad be allowed considering the SITE OWNER'S recent one-line-thread in which he went to great lengths claiming moral highground. Especially in consideration of the recent crack-down on their "marijuana policy", even when marijuana is an obvious topic of breaking news!

I'm not advocating the use of illegal drugs, I'm merely wondering why we can't even comment on the news of said drugs because of moral authority and then we have to look at "barely legal" tail dancing on a pole!
ridiculous
ironic
pathetic

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   

I don't think that SO picks the ads that show up here personally.

Isn't what we see on the top of the screen and side of the screen just part of a "rolling" ad package? Various ads at various times from various advertisers?

Does SO even have any control over what shows up or any say so in what shows up or do all of us just find out when the ads show up?

[edit on 2/23/2009 by skeptic1]

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
You better believe he has control over it. He gets paid for it!
2nd line.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   

What I meant by control is does he choose ad packages or pick every single ad that shows up here? If he is choosing a package, he might not be fully aware of every ad in that package.

I doubt very seriously he would choose an ad about strippers.....that would just be tacky.

[edit on 2/23/2009 by skeptic1]

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
If that is the case, I expect not to see that ad ever again.
2nd line.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
And while he is at it, it would be nice if he would drop all of the annoying ads that include sound. Especially the one that sounds like a ticking time-bomb.
You see, when I'm reading these threads, I like to enjoy music in the background. I don't want this site monopolizing my computer.
Especially if they can't be consistent in their intent.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Still no mods?
That is astounding.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
the young srtipper adds drove me about OUT OF MY MIND earlier and I had to log off wait a bit and then return......

I even went so far as to search out ANNOYING ADDS thread to complain.....
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Now I see Im not the only offended member

way to go Jay

Kewl !! as I was feeling a tad prudish, but I am so FARRRRR from that man!!

...but it was NOT an add SO would have ever allowed on here if he had seen it himself.....hence why we are yapping about it so he can get a heads up. I know he will be all over this issue once he is aware.....he is just that kinda guy

[edit on 23-2-2009 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Here is where you go to protest
adds.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I don' t believe he picks the adds but believe he can have them removed

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I hope you guys are right. If that ad isn't removed, I'll have to seriously reconsider the way I view this site. I'm sure the above poster is right. Like I said, I was thoroughly impressed with Skeptic Overlord's recent thread. It was admirable. Surely he will remove that ad.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by sty

i dont see any ads, u must be using a defective ad blocker.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Ant4AU

Thanks for that link. I'll add mine there. If it isn't already there.

Mods, sorry about any offense. I didn't realize such a thread existed and I'm wondering why it isn't in the board business section...
But surely you can understand my issue here.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join