It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OMG proof NASA is altering the orbit of Mars!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Ok Ok I know.... Blatant attention thread title, but it is true

NASA's dawn probe is off into the reaches of the solar system to intercept asteroid Vesta. Right now they have turned off the ion drives and Dawn is plunging toward Mars to set it's self up for a gravity assist, now this is amazing to me, to me it is the most fantastic manoeuvre - much better than say the shuttle docking with the space station. The maths must be phenomenal....

Any way this is the coolest bit....

"The laws of physics tell us that Mars will pay a price for helping Dawn," said Rayman. "The flyby will cause Mars to slow in its orbit enough that after one year, its position will be off by about the width of an atom. If you add that up, it will take about 180 million years for Mars to be out of position by one inch (2.5 centimeters). We appreciate Mars making that sacrifice so Dawn can conduct its exciting mission of discovery in the asteroid belt."
link

So there you have it conspiracy fans! NASA is conspiring right in fronts of our eyes to make sure Mars is an inch to the left in 180 million years - Hmmm something is afoot... What are they keeping from us?

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
YAY thanks Nasa now I won't have to change course to go around mars when I finally try get out of this Insane asylum of a galaxy.

Star and flag NT

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Am I missing something?

I don't see anything significant about this at all.

What could this possibly mean?

Are you suggesting that they are doing this for a purpose 180 million years from now?

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
OMG, "they" were right all along!

Hahahaha
I normally click on OMG titles for the sheer sensationalism. In this case, it was truly deserved. Thank you for bringing such a serious matter to light

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Shakezoola

It's a slightly tongue in cheek appreciation of the beautiful clockwork that is our solar system... The old conservation of energy, the Dawn probe is blatantly gonna steal some of Mars's energy - it will then be lost to Mars forever, that almost insignificant bit of energy saved NASA 230 pounds of xenon fuel, and will add a few thousand kph to the probes velocity.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Good find.

This news is staggering to my little brain.

I definitely believe there is more to this than meets the eye.

Starred and Flagged.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I bet that costed them $100.000.000,00.

[edit on 23-2-2009 by TimeBandit]

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Ah, one atom closer to gobsmacking Neptune into Mars for our benefit.

Learn how to move those planets!

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
As Arthur C. Clarke said when describing a slingshot maneuver in 2001: A Space Odyssey; "Nature always balances her books."

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then
reply to post by Shakezoola

It's a slightly tongue in cheek appreciation of the beautiful clockwork that is our solar system... The old conservation of energy, the Dawn probe is blatantly gonna steal some of Mars's energy - it will then be lost to Mars forever, that almost insignificant bit of energy saved NASA 230 pounds of xenon fuel, and will add a few thousand kph to the probes velocity.

Yeah, but there are countless asteroids, meteors, comets and other natural bits of space stuff that has been affecting -- and will continue to affect -- Mars' orbit (and the orbit of everything else in the solar system). Heck, even if I simply jump up and down, I am affecting (in an EXTREMELY miniscule way) the orbit of the Earth.

In fact, it's possible that after the Dawn spacecraft passes by Mars, a meteor could skim past Mars causing the planet's orbit to go right back to the way it was before Dawn came along!

Having said that, I do agree that your original assertion is quite a fun "thought experiment"

Edit: speling

[edit on 2/24/2009 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 07:59 AM
link   
If you consider the large size of the orbit and also the solar system, the changes can be neglected, so, there is no need to worry.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then

So there you have it conspiracy fans! NASA is conspiring right in fronts of our eyes to make sure Mars is an inch to the left in 180 million years - Hmmm something is afoot... What are they keeping from us?

Which means Nibiru must be returning in 180 million years time and they need to change Mars' orbit by an inch in order to hide the approaching planet from all us poor schmucks down on Earth

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

sty

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   
hehe, what if one day we will be able to bring Mars close enough to the Sun in order to make it habitable? I wonder if succesive nukes could do that (i mean , just to give it a micro-kik that across the years would bring Mars into the right orbit)

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by sty
hehe, what if one day we will be able to bring Mars close enough to the Sun in order to make it habitable? I wonder if succesive nukes could do that (i mean , just to give it a micro-kik that across the years would bring Mars into the right orbit)

The possibility is low, and also, even if we manage to bring it closer to the sun, it will be un inhabitable, as in a few billion years, the sun will grow larger as it consumes its fuel and earth will become too hot to sustain life and we might need to shift to other planets further out in the solar system.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Take a look at this.

Link

Ah haha to bad about the moon but between it and the alternatives I'd say lets begin working out the details.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by danwild6

Hasn't this been done before, long ago? I remember reading once that Earth had only 360 days in a solar year, albeit thousands of years ago.

Anyone else heard of this?

Regards,

Horsegiver.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

So what happens when something 180,000,000,000,000,000 times larger than the probe, comes near Earth?

oooooooh wee!

how many "atoms" or "inches" would that throw US off by?

just a tidbit to snack on.

-

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by prevenge

That would be 2.25E+20kg, a decent sized moon. Fortunately there doesn't seem to be much of that kind of stuff just wandering around the Solar System.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by prevenge

Well lets see... The Dawn spacecraft weighs in at 1,134kg.

1,134 multiplied by 180 quadrillion = 2.0412 × 10^20 kg

Or 204,120,000,000,000,000,000 kg!

Or Two hundred and four quintillion, one hundred and twenty quadrillion...

If the density of pure iron is 7,870 kg/m³ then that would mean you massive object is 2.59364676 × 10^16 cubic meters (25,936,467,600,000,000 m³!)

I believe that would be an object equivalent to an area the size of the Atlantic but 316,298 km deep and solid iron! Or alternatively a lump of iron about half the size of Mercury.

Either way if that thing comes anywhere near us it will ruin your day

Edit - I put Venus which is 81% the volume of the Earth... I ment Mercury which is 5%.... The hyperthical lump of Iron is a bit less than 2.5% the volume of Earth so half the size of Mercury... Not Venus

[edit on 26/2/2009 by Now_Then]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join