It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Washington sends $1 food stamp checks to 250,000

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Washington sends $1 food stamp checks to 250,000

OLYMPIA, Wash. The state of Washington sent out $1 checks to the 250,000 food stamp recipients in the state.

The director of the Community Services Division for the Department of Social and Health Services, Leo Ribas, says the checks mailed Feb. 17 trigger an additional $43 million in federal food benefits. They also connect recipients to an energy assistance program.

Ribas says the $1 check is a one-time move to leverage the federal money. He says next year the state will be able to trigger the federal assistance through a routine deposit in food stamp accounts.

What?

www.tri-cityherald.com...

I don't get it.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Other than the obvious jokes about how ridiculous this is.....

It sounds like they are required to give away x amount of money to y people as a qualification for federal assistance.

Never mind that the cost of doing this probably exceeds the $250K they are disbursing. Nope, not gonna go there!

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Something doesn't sound right about this. It sounds like they are going to start leveraging money off of people that receive food stamps.

For example:

They sent out $1 food stamps to 250,000 people so they can lets say leverage it 80 - 1 so now they can loan out that 250,000 dollars 80 times decreasing by 1 dollar every time, i.e. first it is 250,000 then they will loan out 249,999 from the initial 250,000 then from the 249,999 they will loan out 249,998 from the 249,999, rinse and repeat 78 more times.

So they are essentially leveraging federal assistance against the people on welfare. But the leverage is actually 172 -1. That is strange. That is going to cause massive inflation.

[edit on 23-2-2009 by Hastobemoretolife]

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by CeltAngel
Other than the obvious jokes about how ridiculous this is.....

It sounds like they are required to give away x amount of money to y people as a qualification for federal assistance.

Never mind that the cost of doing this probably exceeds the $250K they are disbursing. Nope, not gonna go there!

Yea, I know, I know, the enormous amount of information on government stupidity and incompetence is come at us a breakneck speed,

hard for the mind to take it all in.

help me

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hastobemoretolife
Something doesn't sound right about this. It sounds like they are going to start leveraging money off of people that receive food stamps.

For example:

They sent out $1 food stamps to 250,000 people so they can lets say leverage it 80 - 1 so now they can loan out that 250,000 dollars 80 times decreasing by 1 dollar every time, i.e. first it is 250,000 then they will loan out 249,999 from the initial 250,000 then from the 249,999 they will loan out 249,998 from the 249,999, rinse and repeat 78 more times.

So they are essentially leveraging federal assistance against the people on welfare. But the leverage is actually 172 -1. That is strange. That is going to cause massive inflation.

[edit on 23-2-2009 by Hastobemoretolife]

Holy cow, it is?

It gave me a massive headache.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Yay, i got an extra dollar! Now i can buy that pack of "now & later" that i always wanted.

WTF people???? We pay so much into the federal and state governments, and this is what they give us in return? ALOT of the people who need this money have been paying into taxes for a long time. It's time to do something about this.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by mpriebe81
Yay, i got an extra dollar! Now i can buy that pack of "now & later" that i always wanted.

WTF people???? We pay so much into the federal and state governments, and this is what they give us in return? ALOT of the people who need this money have been paying into taxes for a long time. It's time to do something about this.

What are we gonna do?

I don't know what to do.

they don't care, they know we are helpless.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by mpriebe81

Doesn't make it any better that most of the tax payer money is going once again to bail out the corrupted banking system in the nation, banks that for most part their biggest investors are not even Americans.

But is ok that should help you sleep better at night knowing that your hard earned tax money is going into the hands of the wealthy elites.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
they should have just had a lottery with that.
One family could have gotten something out of it.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

I for one never bought into the "credit" system. I for one am well armed and stocking up on goods as we speak. Because ever since I went to civics class in 9th grade, I have been very leery of the federal and state governments. These people are robbing us blind. I won't be the one to do something by myself, but I am at least trying to educate people about what is going on.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

I don't know it boggles my mind too. That was just my theory on what they are going to do.

I don't know something just doesn't sound right about this.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   

This has got to be the joke of the day.

Thanks for the laughs.

Hope Wal-mart is lenient when some of these people cash their government check for cash.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
What a colossal waste...
@ 6.3 cents a check...$15,750...that's 15.87% of that $250K...

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
My girlfriend and I were going to buy a house together now with the tax break were going to buy 2 and sell the other in 3 years or just let it go after we get the money. Strange rules the government makes.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

Let's not forget all the man hours used to print out the checks, get them in envelopes, cost of potage, etc. I can't even imagine.....

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by CeltAngel
reply to post by Hx3_1963

Let's not forget all the man hours used to print out the checks, get them in envelopes, cost of potage, etc. I can't even imagine.....

exactly, couldn't they have just started a community garden or something, or maybe buy a farm?

good god

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
By sending out a quarter of a million dollars, they're going to get $43 million for people who need food. What's hard to understand about that?

reply to post by CeltAngel

That's all automated.

[edit on 23-2-2009 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
By sending out a quarter of a million dollars, they're going to get $43 million for people who need food. What's hard to understand about that?

reply to post by CeltAngel

That's all automated.

[edit on 23-2-2009 by Benevolent Heretic]

OH thank god we got that settled.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Foodstamps are non taxable at the grocery check out. So this dollar will be reflected in recipients allowance next month, so in essence the state will save the one dollar plus the difference between the lost tax revenue at the checkout and the over payment of one dollar next month. So the government will make 2 dollars for every dollar spent this month. And the recipients check will forever reflect this months amount of over payment.
Genius.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Anyone want a revolution?

Learn a trades skill, Grow your own food and your own medicines, and beat off anyone who tries to collect taxes from you or take your property away.

If the PTB's cash dries out- or become useless, they shrivel up and eventually die out or phase out, them and their associations.

Not bombs, not guns, but a change of lifestyle.

When the dust settles and the guilty hang from the highest of bridges, we can go back to making computers powerful, advancing free energy technologies, and overall advance the quality of our lives, only this time we are the stockholders, not greedy, powerful, wealthy, megalomaniac people and families.

top topics

join