It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO contact? WHY are we not allowed to cast lights into the night sky?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by rickyrrr

It has to be something along the lines that you posted. I used to work with a company that we had some of these skylights for display and we had to inform the FAA and get their approval prior to use. Reason been that they could present a hazard for pilots, like blind them, the loosing of awareness and things of that nature.

I dont know much about flying but I do know that flying at nightime takes more skill and is more difficult than flying at daytime...so I think this are just safety measures.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Well ok i go with the above.
However a 10 minute internet search and believe me that is enough googling did yield me nothing. Its either me becoming stupid all of a sudden or something is going on. All i found is a Canadian firm now bought over by Quantel, a big organisation which i first hear of. Anyway globalisation again more control etc.

I started this as a casual thread but its getting to me. Is it that hard nowadays to get hold of an industrial level sky beam of light?

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Ok this thread seems to be a complaint against a perfectly logical safety precaution. First of all , by legislating against the over use of skybeams, the Aviation industries reps in government are basicaly promoting safety for thier employees, and who can blame them.
In the UK people have died because regular car drivers have been dazzled by lazers or strong spot lamps in the past. Its a logical step to prevent lights being carried around and let loose into the atmosphere... remember , many small airports still use rotary landing beacons. If a pilot got one of those confused with a UFO nut, he might end up landing a plane on a road, or in a tree, rather than say an airport.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:40 AM
link   
In the UK people have died because regular car drivers have been dazzled by lazers or strong spot lamps in the past. Its a logical step to prevent lights being carried around and let loose into the atmosphere.
Oh Rly?
Heart disease kills more people than anything else.
Yet do they ban McDonald's, Burger King, KFC, Cigarettes?
The risk of actually being killed as a direct result of one of these lights, is about the equivalent risk of a piano falling on you.
I think you need to go to the store, and purchase some logic.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by RFBurnsImagine how much of that "pollution" would be eliminated by simply shutting off unused lights in empty office buildings and street lights lighting up roadways that are barren of traffic.
And how much energy would be saved to boot!!

All for that. I read recently about a small town in Sweden where they've added (I'm hazy on this!) some mobile phone/cellphone technology to the street lights. Unless a resident is walking past, they remain off. The UK is planning to use reflectors on street lights so the light is reflected down to the ground and will use x% less power.

When we had the choice to do these things for environmental reasons we demurred, the way the wind's blowing, we'll be doing it anyway for cost saving. No bad thing...

[edit on 24-2-2009 by Kandinsky]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickyrrr

There were a few notorious cases where pilots were momentarily blinded by people fooling around with lasers.

I would think that this law is in response to that wouldn't you?

Not quite. The cases your speaking of were about people playing with laser pointers NEAR airports where planes would be in holding patterns or on approach to landing, and idiots would shine their laser pointers at the planes. During cruise flight, and at 30,000+ feet altitude, a plane is on autopilot so it would not matter, plus the laser beam would be quite weak at that distance, and considerably at a much wider beam width.

Originally posted by rickyrrr
Making it illegal to shine a laser into the sky to attract UFO's (whether or not it works) is hardly going to stop people from trying. Who is going to report you? the ET's?

-rrr

I see folks pointing those new 150mW green and 400mW blue burning lasers up in to the air. I dont see planes falling out of the sky or UFO's responding to the laser light shows.

What is of concern here is the very high intensity spotlight systems, not tiny milliwatt lasers.

And they are very rarely seen anywhere near airports.

Cheers!!!!

[edit on 24-2-2009 by RFBurns]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by BorgHoffen

You know full well they arent going to ban the things that are genuinely dangerous over a wide scale. The things you mentioned are things the government can earn money from on a massive scale , via taxes and so forth. Tobbacco tax brings in millions a year in the UK , it would be economic suicide to ban it outright, the same goes for fast food and so called "luxury" items which can cause heart disease. Believe me , I understand that these things are dangerous, but the government would rather ban something that "might" cause death because lazer lights and floodlights dont earn them as much in tax. Its very simple political logic. And we all know how dysfunctional that is !

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join