It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

YES! Tennessee Introducing 10th Amendment Bill!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   
All of these states threatening to secede or not recognizing federal law? they're well within their own rights to do that. In fact Thomas Jefferson was a big proponent of leaving the union if states got their rights trampled upon. America should be thought of as a country made of a bunch of small countries pulled under one blanket rather than one solid entity, or at least that's the impression I get from the constitution, the founding fathers and history....
Anyway, someone asked "why now? why not before?" well, our civil liberties were being trampled before, but with the stimulus and other bills being proposed under the new administration, civil liberties AND states rights are being weakened. No government likes losing power.

Besides, the republicans want us to maintain the right to bear arms, and as far as I'm concerned a government that wants armed citizens is much more trustworthy than one that doesn't, even if that government has REAL id, the patriot act, an unjust war, fake regulatory systems (which wasn't bushes fault, regulatory systems CAN'T work, they only provide a false sense of security) and horrible interventionist policies.

[edit on 23-2-2009 by djon01]

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Maybe here is a part of that feeling.

How many states are we up to? Is it 35 yet?
With that many, they can do almost anything to the Feds.

Look at the voting states. There might be more population in some blue states per say, but the red one's outnumber them.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I'm from Tennessee and all i want to say is its about time someone started to do something.

Second Line

[edit on 23-2-2009 by Dark Jester]

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I see everyone is thrilled at these laws..I suppose a part of me is too but on the other hand I know as some others have said on here that this is still all part of the orchestrated elite plan. This is just another forethought step in their plans of domination.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by skeptic1

yes about 11 or 12 states have PASSED bills similar to this now i believe.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 11:40 PM
link   
States aren't going to secede from the UNITED States of America (except perhaps Hawaii, I haven't read their bill yet but the descriptions sound like it.)

States aren't making a "token" statement either.
Nothing like this has ever happened in our history at this level!

This is history in the making! We are stressing our constitution to it's limit, just like the federal mandates have pushed the envelope of nullifying the constitution. These are exciting times.

RE: Why didn't we do this during the past 8 years? How soon you forget. Because as a nation we were still shaken by 9/11; Remember that day that you spent on the phone calling everyone that you knew sharing your disbelief.

Inside job or not, we were told there are terrorists behind every Bush; and that we needed to root them out no matter the deepest darkest cave we had to send our troops into, we would prevail!

Wow, a war on terror that the feds could drag out into infinitum... Lucrative! Oops, did I say that?

If that meant the patriot act ... we grudgingly complied although I know most everyone hated the idea; but obviously as a nation we all felt it was for the greater good No one screamed loud enough.

Even the stanchest Obama supporters are rethinking things. This is not just a splash in the ATS forums. This is really happening.

It's exciting to see America wake up as if it was headed towards a World War but knowing, with confidence, that as a great nation, we are obliged to argue Common Sense and win.

Is our collective common sense finally coming around... unfamiliar to you? is that what feels strange to you? =)

Jeez, I'm starting to sound like Right Winger; I'll step off my soap box now...

After one more thing... Obama is looking so much more middle road...

Dunno if that's a good thing... America Gone WiLD

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 11:59 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Anybody know if the state of Georgia is doing or has done the same as of yet? Seeing as how TN is not that far off from us, I hope this idea spreads down here if it hasn't already.

Give me liberty or death!

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   
i live in a comonwealth(pa) and only 5 of us in the nation. not entirely sure what the hell the difference is. i consider it a state. but i believe it is time for the states to stand up and say enough is enough. fu feds. we are exercizing our 10th amendment right. this is as i inteprete it as a UNITED STATES. the states get along with each other and the fed only steps in if there is a dispute between parties. states should be on there own and the fed should not be allowed to step on their toes. i hope pa jumps on board but i doubt it

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 12:21 AM
link   
People dont understand whats causing states to do this its the stimulus package in order for the state to receive money the feds are making demands. Tennessee governor has stated publicly he is not going to accept federal stimulus and will attempt to balance the budget even though it may mean loss of state employee jobs.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by dragonridr

yeah and a stimulus that doesn't go to anyone or states but rich people. i said before in a different thread if you want to stimulate the economy give it to the people who need it not those who don't. think about it- if i can't afford my mortgage car payment etc the banks will get their money back anyway from us poor people paying them because we now have the money to pay them. instead they want to use teh money to buy a 50 million dollar jet and all execs get big bonuses! how the f is that a stimulus?
rich get richer while poor get poorer. reminds of what i learned in high school about history and the medieval ages. we have become serfs.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I am from Tennessee as well and I must say I have been waiting since the day I heard about the first state en-acting this. I AM SO DAMN EXCITED!!! I think I actually feel patriotic....something I haven't experienced in a long time.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Southern Guardian

The fact these individuals from typically red states are now going on about independence but stood firm behind what was a prior unconstitutional government and war shows this typically bends over election bitterness.

I can only speak for myself, but I am not bitter over the election. At all. The person I expected to win, did win. I am not saying I think he was the best candidate, I am disillusioned with both the Democratic party and the Republican party. It has seemed to me that despite what they say, and all their cheerleading to their die hard fans, they really do not CHOOSE differently when it comes to actions not words. They are far more alike than different in the matters that matter most to me. Particularly the issue of corporate rights and benefits vs we the human peoples rights and benefits. What I am saying is I am not disgruntled by the election at all. I knew there was no possibility of a third party candidate winning this election even as I cast my vote for one, and quite frankly, between the two teams who did stand a chance of getting into the White House, I did prefer Obama/Biden over McCain/Palin.

The reason I would support some of these types of protests by states are not because of what Obama has or has not done as President. But because of what happened just before the election. The outcry from the American people NOT to bail out the banks was enormous. And entirely disregarded. By virtually everyone. Including Obama. He voted for the bailouts too.

I know they all think they know better than we do what is needed. But really, they are the fools that got us into this mess. And, we hire them to represent OUR wishes, despite the fact that for decades promising whatever you want when campaigning has meant that you can do what you want once in office. This one time, we wanted what WE wanted. Not for our leaders to blow us all off when we were loud and vocal and begging, pleading and threatening them to prevent them from passing that bailout. And here we are, handing out MORE money just months later.

This really isnt about Obama in my opinion. The fact that he was not a dissenting voice to any of this makes it easier not to extend to him any undue sympathy as a new President. This is about all the threats, and pleas, and argument sent the way of Congress regarding the bailout. You cannot threaten your leaders and not follow through if you expect them to become more responsive. Because they all, including then Senator Obama, blithely ignored the people, on the rare occasion the people were truly proactive, I think we have no choice but to send them a message, even if it is only symbolic.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 01:16 AM
link   
I think we all should move into a state and just vote our people into office and take over the whole state like the Mormons took over Utah. Like a cult, and be sure to picket and get media attention when the Feds Violate the constitution. So our voice will be heard loud. Im thinking California =) There is a population of 12 million there, and there are more of us.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 01:58 AM
link   
We can all play our bit at a local level, writing to councillors and MPs and joining a political party of our choice. Just sitting on our backsides is not an option. The reason we are in the mess we're in is because of the complacent majority.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Why are the Republicans doing this now?
Why not when George Bush was running up the deficit?
Because,it's party politics,that's why.
It means nothing.Just the republicants trying to stir the pot.
Two party system= Fail.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by dragonridr

People dont understand whats causing states to do this its the stimulus package in order for the state to receive money the feds are making demands. Tennessee governor has stated publicly he is not going to accept federal stimulus and will attempt to balance the budget even though it may mean loss of state employee jobs.

Even if a state does not accept any stimulus money they will be affected by the defaluation of the USD. Would it be legal, and make sense, for a state to introduce their own currency? Maybe on a gold standard? Imagine if Tennessee introduces the Tennessee Dollar, backed by gold. Everybody would want some of those and the state would have no problem balancing their budget without federal money.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

I'll clear up a few perceptions you may have, especially since my previous post looked like "Woo, Go Vols!" as though I were a rednecked, beer guzzling, inbred, hill jack brier hopper...well one leg is a little longer than the other, the people of TN will get that joke.

My grandfather was the valor victorian of his graduating class, but the best was offered was a partial scholarship to a small college. But it wasn't enough and he could afford to go. His brother Ova (pronounced O-Vee) did indeed work in the coal mines and helped provide for his mother and brother by dropping out of high school. They both valued education but times were hard then. Sacrifices had to be done. Kinda like what people will be facing shortly should the economy continue this spiral.

So both Grandpa and Uncle Ova were brought up right, and despite the times and area they grew up. They both followed the philosophy that a person should be judged on their merits and only condemned for their flaws, so neither one was racist. In fact, some would say that was quite progressive. Now grandpa had a large family and lamented that he couldn't send any of his children to college. Ova had a small family and his wife Flora came from a bit of money. In fact, some of her relations paid for part of the Sunsphere for the 1982 World's Fair.

Aunt Flora was rather high up in the educational system in TN and while I was touring colleges she arranged for me to have an interview with Lamar Alexander when I visited UT.

Lamar and I talked about different things during that interview and as soon as I said that my major would be theater he wanted an example of my ability at Storytelling. Now Storytelling is considered quite an art form in that area and it is not so much the story itself, but how you go about telling it that makes a difference. It doesn't translate to text well, even if you throw all grammar and punctuation out the window.

So I just told one off my head about performing on Fountain Square in Cincinnati without a microphone and being heard about the sound of the fountains. It wasn't a great story and we both admitted to that but he said it was good enough but he wanted to hear it another one with a Southern accent. After hitting a few and having him call out where it was from like Georgia and Louisiana, dropped into old Uncle Remus story about Br'er Rabbit in a rough Elvis impersonation.

He laughed and asked me to consider UT. It was because of that interview I worked harder to learn a new art form. So much in fact, that even today friends will ask me how long it is going to take when I tell a story. I did end up attending UT for a semester and if I could have gone to Lamar about some financing and scholarships, I may have been able to graduate. Unfortunately Bush Sr. tapped him to become Sec. of Education. I am glad to see Lamar continue to serve the people of TN. I may have to drop him a line to see if he supports this legislation.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:05 AM
link   
I hope you guys realize that no state will actually secede and that theese declarations of sovereignty are merely symbolic...

Please tell me you guys realize that?

[edit on 2-24-2009 by Cutwolf]

[edit on 2-24-2009 by Cutwolf]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Question
Anybody know if the state of Georgia is doing or has done the same as of yet? Seeing as how TN is not that far off from us, I hope this idea spreads down here if it hasn't already.

Give me liberty or death!

It has. This link was posted before, but here it is again.

www.mrstep.com...

It also lists SC, which I was glad to see. I was surprised it took this long.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join