It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stargazers in for a treat as green comet 'the size of Jupiter' streaks past Earth tonight

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

Thanks! I took your advice and submitted it to a local newspaper website's photo gallery section. Don't know if anything will come of it, but I wouldn't have thought to do that before you suggested it so thank you.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by ngchunter

No mountain lions here to speak of, the florida panther is exceedingly rare. We do have bobcats, but they don't usually attack humans. The only direct encounter I've had with wildlife while observing so far was a stray black cat that got into my tent one night. Scrared me senseless till I figured out what it was

Haha. That must have been quite a sight, if anyone was lucky enough to be outside the tent at the time

I also prefer the last version you posted NGC. Very nice work!

I'm curious though - you said "8 dark frames", but the gaps between the stars in your image seem to indicate only 5, assuming you took dark frames at the start and end?

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Turns out that cat had a name around the observing field - new moon. He knew that when it was a new moon that amateurs like me would come to that field with tents and trash bags. Sure enough, that's what he was going for when he got into my tent. Smart cat.

Originally posted by C.H.U.D.
I'm curious though - you said "8 dark frames", but the gaps between the stars in your image seem to indicate only 5, assuming you took dark frames at the start and end?

The gaps indicate when I was getting nervous about how the tracking was holding up and taking a moment to inspect the previous image's stars before starting the next exposure - I should have hooked it up to the laptop to download directly so I could go ahead with the next exposure without stopping. I took my dark frames when my battery reached one bar at the end (I didn't go into it with a full charge, unfortunately).

[edit on 25-2-2009 by ngchunter]

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ngchunter

Thanks for explaining that NGC,

I was expecting the dark frames to be taken at intervals, but I guess that only matters if you are having trouble with 'amp glow'.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join