It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I need to know when to spend the little money I have on supplies and food. DOW at 4000?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I am not an economic expert but I have a decent understanding of how to read the markets. What I would like to know is at what point will we know that it has truly hit the fan. Not “times are bad, this sucks” but truly hit. If the DOW falls to 5000? 4000? If this happens for example, could grocery stores increase prices overnight? Gas prices? I don't have much money to spend so I am not very well stocked although I do have basic supplies, but when will I know will be the right time to take the very little money I have and go get gas and food as best I can. If it does happen do you think there will be price fixing by the fed to try and ease the stress on the populus?

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Do what our grandparents did during the last depression. Start stocking up now. You dont have to go out and buy a crap load of canned goods now and other non perishables, but purchasing a few here and there while shppping will save the trouble of needing them later.

Also a garden with a variety of crops helps also. Plan ahead, because proper planning prevents piss poor performance.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by elston

Just add 10$ weekly on groceries... That should be ok.
I forecast a big drop in the DOW around the end of August 2009, (according to my wife who studies astrology) so, by then, you'll have plenty of food accumulated...

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
if the Dow goes to 4000 we are going to be learning how to eat air.

A previouspost about long term planning is the answer

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I wouldn't look to the stock market, myself. It's going to go up and down and I personally don't think it's that dependable.

If I were in your position, I would start buying a few extra items every time you go to the store. Look at other indicators. Food supply at local supermarket starting to dwindle, gasoline and utility shortages, for example. People around you waiting in lines for help. When I saw those, I would cash out, trading your cash for food and other survival needs.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I mentioned 4000 because at a diner attended by a trusted friend with big wigs from the financial sector last month said they could easily see the DOW at 5000 soon. Those were not made up numbers.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Every time that we go shopping, we stock up a little more.

Our philosophy is to only purchase the things that we use but when they are on sale to buy in bulk. When we get back from the store, all canned or boxed goods get dated with my sharpie. Then I store them in the order that they should be consumed.

We also purchase every day items when the sales are right. If we go into a depression, we're still going to want our toiletries light bulbs etc.

Even if we don't go into a depression, we save tons of money buy purchasing things that are on sale and then buying in quantity.

We're also doing the big garden this year. It will provide us with fresh food and it's just plain fun to do.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by elston

I was about to make a thread about this last night on the Survival Board.

Some of us city boys don't know how to stock up on the right foods, the right kind of supplies, and medicine.... Simply because of one factor: THE EXPIRATION DATE.

Most of the food I have stocked up is only good til the end of 2010.

Some of it is good til 2012, and the canned Salmon I have is good til 2014.

Medicine is going to be important, but as we all know... it's shelf life is short.

So here is my suggestion... keep 3 months of food in the house, and any other supplies you might need in case of an emergency...

But... What I plan on doing... In about 12-14 months / early to mid 2010.... I will be going all out on supplies... Food & Medicine. I think we have a good year or two left before we really start to see America TANK.

So if you are trying to guess when the right time to but supplies is... My guess is you better be prepared in 2010... This is my gut feeling, and I've been told to trust your gut feeling.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doomsday 2029
reply to post by elston

I was about to make a thread about this last night on the Survival Board.

Some of us city boys don't know how to stock up on the right foods, the right kind of supplies, and medicine.... Simply because of one factor: THE EXPIRATION DATE.

Most of the food I have stocked up is only good til the end of 2010.

Some of it is good til 2012, and the canned Salmon I have is good til 2014.

Medicine is going to be important, but as we all know... it's shelf life is short.

So here is my suggestion... keep 3 months of food in the house, and any other supplies you might need in case of an emergency...

But... What I plan on doing... In about 12-14 months / early to mid 2010.... I will be going all out on supplies... Food & Medicine. I think we have a good year or two left before we really start to see America TANK.

So if you are trying to guess when the right time to but supplies is... My guess is you better be prepared in 2010... This is my gut feeling, and I've been told to trust your gut feeling.

I appreciate the gut feeling but do you really think we have that long? This seems to be a day to day, and with all the announcements set to come out soon ie bank stress tests etc. there could be a major event marked by a single day.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Guns and Ammo will be the first thing to go. Stock up on those first. Water Filter second and Food third.

I think everyone's suggestion of a little at a time every time you shopping is very wise.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by elston

Yes, because I know how this fraudulent government is working... I've been studying them like I would I do against my opponents in poker.

You have to get feel of how they are playing the game... Right now hey are using the economic collapse to get people desperate and in need of help (government help). This doesn't happen in a period of 6 months (crash started in Sept).... it takes a little bit more time to drain the people of their sense of (financial) security.

Now of course events happen... Terrorist Attacks, Epidemics, Earthquakes, WWIII... And I think the only possible major event in 2009 will overseas... WAR... with Iran or Pakistan.

Once a war is started, I think it's a safe investment to buy as many supplies as you can. (Half of your Money?)

Then,... I'd wait until 2010 before you use the rest of your money on supplies..

It's a risk... but that's the risk I'm taking.

I'm going to live 2009 like it's a normal year, but at the same time, like it's the last normal year society will ever have in America. Of course I'll do what a poster above mentioned... $10 a week is always a good idea.

The people voted for Change... and that change is coming (nobody said it was going to a the right kind of Change.)

And oh yea... whatever you do... make sure you have a gun to protect your supplies.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Aspirin lasts 100 years. As does Spam.
And as mentioned before make sure you have some sort of water filtration system.
This year my garden is huge! Make sure you have the ability to store your fresh foods. IE Pickling, Drying, Making Jams.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Very Interesting Thread.

But what about those of us who dont own a House? I mean if there's no money, then there's no rent. Which means we need to go into the 'wild'. Since this is the less dangerous place to be, when everything is going REALLY bad.

That would need survival skills though. So I think the best supplies for now would be some good books, etc. on how to actually survive, with what Nature gives us. Because I don't see the point of stocking tons of cans of SPAM now and later not being able to take them with me.

OR if let's say something happends to the Water supply like in China last week? 1.5 mill. without drinking water!! Or if power goes out? I don't think that the majority is prepared for something like this.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by HarryCat

If you rent and you cannot keep renting. Stay until they force you out, otherwise move back to Mom's.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by elston

My friend who is highly respected in the banking and credit business and has talked to economist behind the scenes and they are saying the economy will collapse in April. If you see bargains on dried beans, rice and can goods like 2 for one or discounted grab them now.

The Realestate market on commercial properties has not gone bust yet but believe me it is coming. Many commercial buildings are setting empty
where I live and I am seeing signs stating 2 to 3 months free rent just to lease but I am sure in this market everything is negotiable.

[edit on 23-2-2009 by amari]

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I am sorry,but it doesn't look good,My whole family is in Real-mistake and there is nothing moving,sales declined 65% last month,i have been working extra hard to keep my job,and stock up more, i do believe this is just the beginning of desperation ,the world economy has crashed and is bleeding to death.no one around me is prepared for an outright crash, use your money while it's worth something,wait for inflation, things may get nasty

[edit on 23-2-2009 by all2human]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by HarryCat
Very Interesting Thread.
That would need survival skills though. So I think the best supplies for now would be some good books, etc. on how to actually survive, with what Nature gives us. Because I don't see the point of stocking tons of cans of SPAM now and later not being able to take them with me.

i t would be soooo coool to be able to eat books...

first you read them , then you eat them...

Spam.. is at least idiot proof as from memory it comes with its own key to open it. how many people can actually read these days???

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Do both. First of all canned food, unless damaged, lasts far longer than the expiry date on the label tha was put in place as a matter of fact because retalors want you to keep buying more. If you are afraid it will go bad you will use it up quicker and buy more or throw it out and buy more. Canned goods like soup meats etc are excellent to invest in. The dollar stores are your friends shop there. You can get a lot of food that is dehydrated and canned and will last for a very long time. Buy dehydrated soup mixes and bullions. Stock up on bottled water above all do it QUIETLY!!! Don't tell anyone you have food stocked if it comes down to survival your stash is very tempting to someone who has nothing and also the gov't can send out forces to stop you from stock piling. If real estate is dropping like a rock get a small piece of land if you can afford it and build a root celler and hide it from view. There are many sites and books that can tell you how to go about it. Stock your root cellar full of food and water get alot of seeds. If you live in an apartment building and are renting and you cannot afford not to, invest in seeds and soil and water and have window boxes of fresh vegetables and look into a dehydrator and look into canning. It is better to move with food than with furniture. The food can be used if necessary as coin of the realm, furniture not so much. This is if it gets really, really ugly. Good luck.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by elston

You got that number 4000 mixed up. Each day, the trading ends at 4:00 pm of the local time -- unless you consider the time when the closing bell rings as some kind of prophecy. But if you do, 2012 is now in vogue.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by HarryCat
Very Interesting Thread.

But what about those of us who dont own a House? I mean if there's no money, then there's no rent. Which means we need to go into the 'wild'. Since this is the less dangerous place to be, when everything is going REALLY bad.

OR if let's say something happends to the Water supply like in China last week? 1.5 mill. without drinking water!! Or if power goes out? I don't think that the majority is prepared for something like this.

Do both. Read what ever you can get your hands on for survival and start packing away food and water. Expiry dates on canned goods are for the express purpose of making you buy more. Unless the can is damaged it can last many many years. Water in bottles go stale but is still useable and drinkable. Stock up on dehydrated foods and bulions and canned goods. If you live in an apartment look into making window sill gardens keep it simple lettuce re-grows if you cut the leaves and leave the roots in the soil. Tomatoes are high in vitamin C and are good against scurvy and can be easily grown inside with a few seeds and a regular pot for plants year round. The dollar store is your friend buy lots buy often. Worst case scenario you have supplies for a natural disaster and as we have seen with Katrina help could be weeks away not a day or two. Look into all kinds of smart ways to survive on minimal supplies and honestly I would leave my furniture before my food and water. In a world that has gone to hell and money has no value food and water rations can be traded for safe passage or perhaps a gun and some ammo. If you are in a country where fire arms are restricted look into bows and cross bows for hunting. Get fit because you may not make it otherwise. I am looking into canning,dehydrating and raising small livestock. I will also be doing a big garden. If you have a root cellar, fill it. If you only have a closet fill it. Tell NO ONE because in a hostile world hungry people will want your share of provisions and may not care what they have to do or who they have to kill to do it. Also in some places stock piling food and ammo is illegal and the gov't will come in and take it away if they think you have it. Be wary be safe and be well.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join