It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whites fleeing Caribbean Islands - Guadeloupe and Martinique - Riots

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
The French Caribbean islands of Guadeloupe and Martinique are battlefields now. The riots that have broken out and continued for a couple of weeks has now forced the whites who lived on the islands to flee. The rioters turned against the whites and reporters say the island of Guadeloupe looks like a battlefield of burnt out cars and destroyed stores.
No business is opened in Guadeloupe now - the violence has also begun in Martinique. Goods have to be shipped into the islands, which now have cost a tremendous amount the islanders can not afford.

link to article:
www.dailymail.co.uk...

Britons are among thousands of tourists fleeing Guadeloupe after full scale urban warfare erupted on the French Caribbean island.

Trouble broke out on the island earlier last month after protesters began rioting over high prices and low wages.

But the situation escalated this week after protesters began turning on rich white families as they demanded an end to colonial control of the economy.

Protesters were now targeting 'all white people', with the media in mainland France describing the situation as virtual civil war'.

Guadeloupe is a French overseas department ruled directly from Paris, and authorities in France have sent 300 extra riot police to the island in a bid to quell the violence.

Meanwhile, hundreds of protesters are roaming the streets of the capital Point-a-Pitre, looting shops and restaurants, burning cars and vandalising public buildings.

Needless to say, people who had booked vacations there have now canceled them and the islands have been put on "red alert".

One thing I do know, from living down in the Caribbean (Virgin Islands) for many years and visiting all the other Caribbean islands, including Guadeloupe and Martinique while living on a sailboat, is there have always been racial tensions and resentments to "rich white people".

St. Thomas has become very dangerous over the last year, with many killings of long time white islanders living there.

I have discussed with my family, the fact I am glad we have all moved up to the states over the last few years, as I would not want to be down there with the meltdown happening.

In the islands, there is already in inequity of incomes, besides the very rich coming down as the local islanders have to wait on them. Now with prices of needed food and goods raising higher and higher, it is going to become more dangerous.

Prices in the islands are about 5 times what they are in the states, at the best of times. Even in 1979 - hamburgers here were $1.25 - there they were $6.00, cost of a glass on coke on some islands during that year were $4.00. So you can get an idea of the high cost of living in the first place, now add global meltdown - the Caribbean I would bet on a whole, will be a place to be avoided, completely.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Another article - very quiet on MSM if it's been a month...

edition.cnn.com...

February 20, 2009 -- Updated 1323 GMT (2123 HKT)

France pledges $730M to head off Caribbean riots
STORY HIGHLIGHTS

French Guadeloupe hit by month of sometimes violent protests
Strikes over low wages, living conditions hit businesses, utilities
French PM: Crisis linked to lifelessness of the economy in the Antilles
Sarkozy: Death of trade union activist during unrest unrelated to crisis

PARIS, France (CNN) -- French President Nicolas Sarkozy is pledging $730 million (€ 580 million) in economic aid to France's Caribbean territories in an effort to head off escalating protests, his office said Friday.

Sarkozy made the announcement after a meeting in Paris with leaders from French Caribbean territories. He also proposed adding €200 ($253) a month to the salaries of low-paid workers.

The French territory of Guadeloupe has witnessed a month of sometimes violent demonstrations over low wages and living conditions. At least one civilian, a trade unionist, has been killed in riots.

French Interior Minister Michele Alliot-Marie on Thursday announced the deployment of four state police units to Guadeloupe .

"We have the duty to listen to our countrymen and at the same time, we must bring law and order back as quickly as possible," Sarkozy said in remarks Thursday.

"Our countrymen expect the state to protect them. It's unacceptable that a trade unionist has been killed. This is murder. It's a hateful act that has nothing to do with the social crisis."

France sends police to quell violence
Hospitals and emergency services continue to function and the main international airport is open, but petrol stations, schools, and most businesses -- including supermarkets and car rental offices -- are closed, the British Foreign Office said in a travel advisory.

Hotels are open, but the strike is causing daily cuts to electricity and water supplies, the Foreign Office said.

French Prime Minister Francois Fillon said Thursday the crisis is linked to "the lifelessness of the economy in the Antilles , aggravated by the global economic crisis."

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Dbriefed

The airport there was closed for awhile, but has reopened. I would not want to be stuck in the islands in the coming months, I think it is going to get very ugly in all the islands. Even in places like St. Barths. I would also think Antiqua will start rioting soon.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
This is the first I've heard of this. Another important news story being swept under the rug?

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I will never understand riots like this. You're complaining about a high cost of living and low wages, so what do you do? Riot and force businesses to close and tourists, your #1 source of income, to flee. Hellow even higher prices and no wages... It seems ill-concieved at best.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

I agree, there have been many times, islanders have hurt themselves - and they are doing it this time. When the stores close up, there is no importation of food etc.

After Hurricane Hugo 1989 - in St. Croix it was really really bad! The islanders looted every store and started even going house to house. Friends and I feared for our lives and locked ourselves in what was left of one house and were armed and ready for people to possibly come to the house. When we did go out, we had a run in with some islanders with machettes. It was a scary time and you just can't leave.

That is why, I know things will get real bad. Jamaica is one place I would want to touch, it already has the highest murder rate in the world, it is really going to go downhill there. People I know that live there, have had to have armed guards for many years now around their house. I wouldn't be surprised, if people will just up and leave, fearing for their safety, once the meltdown completely grips the island and no tourist money comes in anymore. Though Jamaica does not live on tourist money alone.

[edit on 23-2-2009 by questioningall]

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Ignorance.. that's all it is. They will soon find out that while they hated white people, they won't be able to live without them.

Then again, from the ignorance shown, I actually doubt they would come to that realization..

France should send in troops to re-take the island, and quell the rampaging imbeciles. Or else it's on its way to becoming the next Haiti..

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

They did, they sent in a Gendarmerie Nationale Groupe Mobile squadron and I believe the situation has calmed down a bit.

They will soon find out that while they hated white people, they won't be able to live without them.

Africa realized that too late ... look at what happened to them post independence when even the UN admits they were better off under colonial rule.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ChrisF231

I agree with their reasoning.. but riots, murder, looting.. not the way to go. Strikes, rallies, publicly listing the grievances.. that would have had a much better effect, and gained more sympathy..

Self destruction is much funner I s'pose.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Persoanlly, im all in favor of civil unrest
I know its messed up and all, and woundt wanan hurt anyone, but buring down CEO and coporate buildings who deserve it is like the icing on the cake

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by ziggy1706

Are you also a fan of kicking your supervisor in the nuts when he hands you your paycheck every other week?

There's nothing 'civil' about rioting. Even calling it 'civil unrest' is a sugar coated misnomer.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Wow QA what an interesting life you have lived. I am so glad you are safe here in the States, I would not want to be there right now. How is this going to end?

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
Ignorance.. that's all it is. They will soon find out that while they hated white people, they won't be able to live without them.

Yeah who's ignorance?

These islanders were living happy and fine before the 'rich white people' came along and turned the islands into their playground, and with it all the problems created by the introduction of their 'wealth'.

The islanders didn't just wake up one morning and decide they hated the 'rich whites' and to riot. No, this has come after years of oppression and coercion that 'wealth' creates. People can only take so much. But I doubt any of you would understand that, I'm pretty sure you are all benefiting quite nicely from capitalism. You may feel you're the majority, but reality check, you're not.

Also I doubt it's really just 'whites', that is typical MSM deception, it's about poverty not race. The MSM wants you to think it's about race, not what it is really about, capitalism and the poverty, inequality, destruction it creates.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

...just like the Arawak people lived just fine and happily in the Caribean islands 1500 years ago until the Kalinago people arrived from South America, slaughtered them all, and then settled the isalnds themselves? Face it, times change, cultures get absorbed, exterminated, or otherwise altered. No culture or society has any moral high ground because all of them did the same thing to preceeding cultures.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
Are you also a fan of kicking your supervisor in the nuts when he hands you your paycheck every other week?

Typical capitalist double-speak.

Workers are forced to sell their labour, for the minimum the boss is willing to pay, and we are expected to be grateful for it?

Capitalists want you to believe without their system we would have nothing. They think without money to motivate we would do nothing. Myths.

The only reason money motivates is because the capitalists system chains you in economic slavery.

There are enough resources to feed the world but because of economics those resources are kept artificially scars, through underproduction etc., so that profits are kept high. Without this economic prison, created by capitalism, needed resources could be produced and NO ONE WOULD HAVE TO SUFFER AN INHUMAN DEATH DUE TO STARVATION.

Capitalism just gives people a way to justify being greedy.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Oh yeah, that's the same thing...

Are you serious?

Edit; just to add to this, what do you think about illegal immigration? Should Americans just let it happen because times change? Do you use your same argument when it's reversed also?

What would you do if wealthy Russians came here and took your land and resources, and made you all work for them at minimum wages, for example?

[edit on 2/23/2009 by ANOK]

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

Yes, but without capitalism, I wouldn't have my 60" plasma TV now, would I? Think before you speak, dude, think before you speak.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

St. Croix IS the United States .... it is part of the US Virgin Islands which is a US territory. The population of about 100,000 is 75% Black and 32% live under the poverty rate and have a tenancy to act out whenever their is some sort of hurricane or natural disaster. There was another big hurricane in the late 1990s/early 2000s where they had to send in the regular US Army after the USVI Army National Guard did little if anything to stop the looting and violence.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I dont know....I think we need a good riot here in the good ole US of A. Its to bad the islanders misgivings lead them to believe its the evil rich white people when in fact there are a lot of whites just as poor as them maybe not so much so on the island. Needless to say as this depression spreads there wont be any places unaffected and that includes the caribbean. As these thieves continue to steal what little wealth that the hardworking class have worked for a decision will have to be made worldwide to the ruling class. Either you take care of yourselves but have to live with eyes behind your heads or you start to think about the masses and stop the theft both through the blatant up front theft and theft through inflation.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   

DOH!

Wow what an argument. Well it's pretty obvious now where your thinking comes from isn't it?

TV or starving babies? I see where your priority is at also.

Yeah think before you speak. ROTF....

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join